Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 487

Thread: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

  1. #341
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,074

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That's because keeping the internet 'as it has been for 25 years' DOES mean more regulation. It isn't possible that you don't understand this, so you are just being dishonest. What a surprise. Obama is asking the FCC to regulate internet providers under title II of the Telecommunications law. Do you think that means DE-regulation? Of course not. So I don't care how many idiots have been 'pounding' me for the last ten pages, they are all wrong and are either too stupid to understand that or to dishonest to admit it.
    Still attempting to create the perception that keeping things as they were means more regulation? Still attempting to draw the discussion to be about Obama? Nobody is falling for it, Fletch. Give up. The entire argument against net neutrality is that it stifled innovation. In turn, Ted Cruz' argument is that it's like Obamacare. Not only is that flawed, it contradicts the history of innovation of the internet. As it has been, (which is what Cruz opposes), it's been the most innovative medium available because of the fact that all data is treated the same. Yet, Cruz says it's Obamacare? Nonsense.

    I haven't mentioned it because the thread went off in a different direction and you and I have been discussing other aspects of the proposed 'solution' and not Cruz's remarks. Again, you know this, but misrepresent it anyway. You do this because you haven't got an argument against what I am actually saying so you pretend I am saying something I am not. Try being honest.
    Ah, you haven't mentioned it because not only is it ridiculous, it also had nothing to do with what we've been discussing for 23 pages. Which is Cruz's remarks and why they're wrong. You're being silly now. Hell, I can prove that from the beginning we were discussing why Cruz was wrong in making his remarks and then can point to the exact moment you tried to steer the conversation to be about Obama. Do you want me to?

    The dishonest one here is you. The thread is about Cruz, but you and I have been discussing the Obama proposal and not what Cruz said. That is a fact. I am not all that concerned with what Cruz said nor its accuracy. My interest and our discussion is about what Obama wants to do and how it will effect the internet. Again, you know this to be true, yet you are dishonest about it. Why is that?
    You keep saying this but it doesn't make it anymore so. Please point to where I discussed Obama's proposal. I haven't at all. That you keep repeating that I have doesn't make it anymore so.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #342
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,513

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Obama.
    duh


    It depends on how you mean it.
    ISPs will make a great deal mor money if they can charge your small business for accessing the internet, for providing the internet access to your small business's content, AND then charge your business again for providing the internet access to your small business's content.

    So in that sense, yes they are right. If ISPs can double charge businesses, the ISP will make more money.


    But if you mean that Time Warner and Cox are not going to be able to turn a profit, then "No, the article is deliriously wrong."
    We've had "neutrality" since the beginning of the internet.
    How're TW and Cox faring so far?
    It might not inhibit Cox, or Time Warner, or Suddenlink, but what about Bobby Joe and his tech buddies that secure financing to start their own ISP, to compete with those large companies? Will the lowered profit margin--possibly lowered--prohibit them from making the profit needed for their startup company to survive?

    I think you might agree that this could possibly do more to prohibit new providers from entering the market; the legislation could thereby produce the opposite effect.
    Last edited by apdst; 11-17-14 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #343
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,513

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Now, I agree with that 100%. Except, I distrust both parties about the same, myself. In fact, the ONLY reason I MIGHT have any favor for the democrat side is their positioning on social issues and needless war. But, outside that, I absolutely abhor them. I am waiting here on the sidelines for the GOP to get it's house in order and cull out the wingnuts that have cost us so dearly, so I can have my party back.

    But, all that being said, I may just remain an independent regardless. It takes a bit longer to fill out the ballot at the ballot box, but it makes it easier to sleep at night.

    Seriously, last election, my wife was standing by the exit door looking at me impatiently, as I voted for each office individually, instead of voting straight ticket, like, "Well, are you coming or not?" It took me several minutes to make my selections.
    Here it is:

    https://archive.org/details/Caroline...ctionInterview

    Listen to the interview, where she's all about not being a tax and spend Liberal and supports economic growth, blah, blah.

    Then, 4 months later, she says:

    “I hate Republicans. I hate Republicans,” Fayard said, drawing some nods and voices of approval from the crowd. “They are cruel and destructive. They eat their young."

    "I hate Republicans. They eat their young" - David Catanese - POLITICO.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #344
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,953
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It might not inhibit Cox, or Time Warner, or Suddenlink, but what about Bobby Joe and his tech buddies that secure financing to start their own ISP, to compete with those large companies? Will the lowered profit margine--possibly lowered--prohibit them from making the profit needed for their startup company to survive?
    I think you might agree that this could possibly do more to prohibit new providers from entering the market; the legislation could thereby produce the opposite effect.
    Encoding net neutrality means that BJ and his team will have the same shot tomorrow that they have today.

    Do you imagine that the current ISPs are fighting net neutrality because net neutrality reduces competition in the ISP marketplace?
    Or would you imagine that the current ISPs are trying to promote ideas that will enhance their profits by further securing their near monopoly of the market place?

    What about all of the start up companies who will not be able to get their ideas to market because of the lowered profit margins caused by the big ISPs double charging them if NN is not allowed to continue?
    There are many, many, many more start-ups which are not ISPs than there are start-up ISPs.
    There are more non-ISP start-ups than ISP start-ups by an order of magnitude or so.
    I may be wrong.

  5. #345
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,074

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Well, considering what Time Warner charges for broadband, kinda, and if they get their way, they'll be ****ing me more.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Get wifi.
    ... This made me chuckle a lot. On par with root beer makes you impaired. If anything reduces apdst credibility on the subject, let it be this response.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #346
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,953
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    ... This made me chuckle a lot. On par with root beer makes you impaired.
    It makes one question the wisdom of responding to the author of such a comment.
    There's a knowledge gap which the author may not wish to have bridged.
    I may be wrong.

  7. #347
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not my wifi. I don't know what bass-ackwards part of the world you live in. My internet is through my cell phone provider and it goes everywhere with me.
    That's not wifi. That's your 3g, 4g or lte (all basic variations of the same thing). Your carrier in this case would be your isp, and therefore no more bound to the principles of net neutrality as comcast or time warner.

  8. #348
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,513

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Encoding net neutrality means that BJ and his team will have the same shot tomorrow that they have today.

    Do you imagine that the current ISPs are fighting net neutrality because net neutrality reduces competition in the ISP marketplace?
    Or would you imagine that the current ISPs are trying to promote ideas that will enhance their profits by further securing their near monopoly of the market place?

    What about all of the start up companies who will not be able to get their ideas to market because of the lowered profit margins caused by the big ISPs double charging them if NN is not allowed to continue?
    There are many, many, many more start-ups which are not ISPs than there are start-up ISPs.
    There are more non-ISP start-ups than ISP start-ups by an order of magnitude or so.
    It all means nothing, if the profit margin is too low for startups to survive. I mean, let's face it, the current Democrat Party doesn't have the best track record for legislation making things better for the business community.

    If profit margins are too low for startups to survive, the mega-ISP's could lower quality, to increase their profit margin and there's not damn thing anyone could do about it. Or, would you say that that scenario is impossible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #349
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,513

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That's not wifi. That's your 3g, 4g or lte (all basic variations of the same thing). Your carrier in this case would be your isp, and therefore no more bound to the principles of net neutrality as comcast or time warner.
    So, you agree that there are more than a couple of other options in any given community?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #350
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you agree that there are more than a couple of other options in any given community?
    No, there aren't. I can name 3 major ILECs that provide data off of the top of my head:

    1) Att/DirectTV
    2) Comcast/TWC
    3) Charter

    That's at best an oligarchy, and often they don't intersect, causing local monopolies.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •