Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 487

Thread: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

  1. #241
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    LMAO. Are you kidding? You've spent 10+ pages being pounded by posters because not only do you not understand what net neutrality entails, you actually believe keeping it as it has been for 25+ years means more regulation.
    That's because keeping the internet 'as it has been for 25 years' DOES mean more regulation. It isn't possible that you don't understand this, so you are just being dishonest. What a surprise. Obama is asking the FCC to regulate internet providers under title II of the Telecommunications law. Do you think that means DE-regulation? Of course not. So I don't care how many idiots have been 'pounding' me for the last ten pages, they are all wrong and are either too stupid to understand that or to dishonest to admit it.



    I wonder why you haven't mentioned it since? I guess you'd have to give up on an argument so ridiculous is completely defies the constraints of the discussion at hand.
    I haven't mentioned it because the thread went off in a different direction and you and I have been discussing other aspects of the proposed 'solution' and not Cruz's remarks. Again, you know this, but misrepresent it anyway. You do this because you haven't got an argument against what I am actually saying so you pretend I am saying something I am not. Try being honest.



    This is a new level of dishonest even for you Fletch. The thread, the entire thread has been about this statement:

    Attachment 67176017

    For you to pretend as if Obama's proposals have been a topic of discussion, when it is net neutrality being compared to Obamacare is laughable if not see through. You lost the argument. Give up, admit net neutrality is a good thing, and comparing it to Obamacare is not only absurd, it's essentially claiming that the internet as we've enjoyed it for 25+ years is a system that doesn't work. Do you not realize that without net neutrality, the internet can run at the speed of government? Lol.
    The dishonest one here is you. The thread is about Cruz, but you and I have been discussing the Obama proposal and not what Cruz said. That is a fact. I am not all that concerned with what Cruz said nor its accuracy. My interest and our discussion is about what Obama wants to do and how it will effect the internet. Again, you know this to be true, yet you are dishonest about it. Why is that?
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-17-14 at 06:37 AM.

  2. #242
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    It's Comcast's internet, they should be able to do what they want with it. Including slow down people who don't play ball.

    Sincerely,
    Conservatives

  3. #243
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    He thinks if he lies enough people won't notice. He just tried to claim that we've been discussing "Obama's policies" for 23 pages... lmao. What has been in discussion for 23 pages is whether Obamacare and net neutrality are comparable. Hell, that is the entire premise of the OP. That's what Franken addresses and that's what every other poster has addressed in their discussion with Fletch, but he really is trying to make us believe this thread was about Obama's policies.
    Where is the lie? You and I have been discussing Obama policies for the last 23 pages and have not been discussing what Cruz said. Anyone who can actually read knows it is you who are lying. I know you are counting on the fact that most of your liberal pals either wont read, cant read, or will just go along with your lies because they are fellow liberals. Either way, you have clearly left the topic we were discussing because you lack the ability to continue. Rather than admit that you cant keep up, you smear me. Pretty pathetic, but par for the course. Now, if you don't want to continue to discuss what Obama is proposing then man up and say so and we can move on. But don't lie and pretend we have been discussing things we haven't. It destroys your credibility.

  4. #244
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,893

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Where is the lie? You and I have been discussing Obama policies for the last 23 pages and have not been discussing what Cruz said. Anyone who can actually read knows it is you who are lying. I know you are counting on the fact that most of your liberal pals either wont read, cant read, or will just go along with your lies because they are fellow liberals. Either way, you have clearly left the topic we were discussing because you lack the ability to continue. Rather than admit that you cant keep up, you smear me. Pretty pathetic, but par for the course. Now, if you don't want to continue to discuss what Obama is proposing then man up and say so and we can move on. But don't lie and pretend we have been discussing things we haven't. It destroys your credibility.
    Actually, he's been the one staying on topic, attempting (apparently in vain) to explain to you what net neutrality IS, since you clearly haven't the slightest clue about it, nor do you care to learn.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Actually, he's been the one staying on topic, attempting (apparently in vain) to explain to you what net neutrality IS, since you clearly haven't the slightest clue about it, nor do you care to learn.
    Thanks for proving my point. He claims we are discussing Cruz and you claim we are discussing net neutrality. Why don't you two hook up on IM and get your stories straight. In the mean time, please point to the post of his that explains net neutrality. That should be easy even for you since you claim he has been doing it for page after page. Or, you could just butt out and go find another thread to post your hit and run one liners.

  6. #246
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    I'm all for net neutrality as long as the governmnent isn't involved in it.

  7. #247
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I'm sure Cruz knows that, and is just trying to start the political spin machine to get support for what he wants. I'm sure it's very compelling to the uneducated to compare it to "Obamacare," which is practically a swear word to some people.

    Good on Franken for taking this apart right from the outset. Net neutrality is what we've always had, and what we should continue to have. But given that it has been constantly under threat for several years, there is, sadly, an apparent necessity for us to write down somewhere in law, "stop ****ing with it and trying to rip people off."
    Franken didn't take anything apart. All Franken did is show he didn't know what he was talking about.
    And no, we have not always had net neutrality. Never really did either. Which just shows you also do not know what you are talking about.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #248
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It's not a misnomer. You're just using a different interpretation of the word "neutrality" than everyone else is. Quit arguing semantics and comment on the concept.

    No I am not arguing semantics, it is a misnomer, the net is not neutral and has not been neutral.

    Secondly; Why are you not paying attention? I clearly have commented on the concept. I even commented on it in another thread that you participated in, yet here you are acting like you don't know. D'oh!

    In addition, this topic is not about any neutrality but, but Franken's idiocy on display in regards to what Cruz stated.

    This is what Cruz stated and he is absolutely correct.

    In short, net neutrality is Obamacare for the Internet. It would put the government in charge of determining Internet pricing, terms of service and what types of products and services can be delivered, leading to fewer choices, fewer opportunities and higher prices.

    Cruz is clearly indicating that making it an utility is not the way to go.


    What Franken said:
    Franken said Cruz "doesn't understand" what net neutrality is.

    "He has it completely wrong and he just doesn't understand what this issue is," Franken told Candy Crowley on CNN's "State of the Union"

    That is Franken being an idiotic partisan hack and not actually addressing the valid concerns Cruz pointed out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Prove that this is required for anything classified as a utility.
    D'oh! Again I can reference what was provided in the other thread you participated in.
    (http://www.debatepolitics.com/scienc...post1063981739)

    President Obama's public stance that the FCC should reclassify broadband internet services as a Title II "common carrier" under the current Telecommunications Act carries many ramifications, but one is undeniable: there's going to be a hidden tax hike, and it's going to be paid for by consumers.
    Title II common carriers are required to "contribute" to what's called the Universal Service Fund - a government program to bring telecommunications services to underserved areas with the goal of universal coverage. Whether it's called "contributions" or fees or whatnot, the function of the program is a tax on corporate revenues in order to fund services for those who might not have them otherwise. It's a redistributive corporate tax paid for by consumers.

    The USF tax amounts to more than a 16% charge on top of consumers' bills. As broadband service providers are not currently subject to the USF tax, a reclassification would mean that all consumers would see a jump around that size in their bill. Considering that in some locales, the cheapest broadband service runs upwards of $50 per month, this will cost even the most price-conscious consumers an extra $100 per year - and for those at higher tiers, much more than that.

    FCC commissioners past and present have agreed that the this net neutrality tax is unavoidable in a Title II reclassification scenario. In a discussion at the National Press Club on Friday, current FCC commissioner Ajit Pai laid out exactly what consumers would be seeing on their bills.

    "Public utility regulation would mean higher broadband prices for consumers," Pai said. "Once broadband is classified as a telecommunications service, universal service charges would be assessed on carriers' broadband services. Many state and local taxes would automatically kick in."

    "The net result is that every single American broadband customer would have to pay a new tax - or taxes - to access the internet."

    An FCC decision to go with title II reclassification in order to enforce new net neutrality regulations would have a lot of deleterious effects. One of the most obvious is that it would be a tax hike on a service that the government believes is essential to American life.


    The Net Neutrality Tax Hike - Kevin Glass

    Even Obama acknowledges that making it a Utility wouldn't be all that was needed.

    Even President Obama conceded that a strict Title II approach would not by itself be sufficient because there are hundreds of rules applying to telephone service common carriers that would be inappropriate to apply to broadband, like, for example, rate regulation.

    In addition, even Title II does not ban paid prioritization completely.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/te...net-rules.html



    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Again. Net neutrality does not ban all kinds of throttling.
    That is my point and why neutrality is a misnomer.

    Which still does not make classifying it as a utility a wise, let alone correct option.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    you're just applying the concept in an overly broad fashion.
    Wrong.
    The net is not neutral. And that isn't what this topic is about either.

    It is about what Cruz said in reference to Obama wanting the FCC to classify it as a utility. Classifying it as an utility is not needed, not just because it would give the Gov more control than it already has, but because doing so would cause how much we pay for it to increase because of the new assessed taxes.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #249
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    So I would have to pay extra for certain services. So what? Why not let the market sort it out?
    I'm not arguing either way, however I doubt where you live you have more than two ISPs, so where's your market? If they both have internet packages, kind of like Compu-serve and AOL used to be, you don't get ALL of the World Wide Web but what they want to sell you. Personally I would like to know what Tim Berners-Lee thinks about this.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #250
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Al Franken Explains Net Neutrality To Ted Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    No I am not arguing semantics, it is a misnomer, the net is not neutral and has not been neutral.

    Secondly; Why are you not paying attention? I clearly have commented on the concept. I even commented on it in another thread that you participated in, yet here you are acting like you don't know. D'oh!

    In addition, this topic is not about any neutrality but, but Franken's idiocy on display in regards to what Cruz stated.

    This is what Cruz stated and he is absolutely correct.

    In short, net neutrality is Obamacare for the Internet. It would put the government in charge of determining Internet pricing, terms of service and what types of products and services can be delivered, leading to fewer choices, fewer opportunities and higher prices.

    Cruz is clearly indicating that making it an utility is not the way to go.


    What Franken said:
    Franken said Cruz "doesn't understand" what net neutrality is.

    "He has it completely wrong and he just doesn't understand what this issue is," Franken told Candy Crowley on CNN's "State of the Union"

    That is Franken being an idiotic partisan hack and not actually addressing the valid concerns Cruz pointed out.


    D'oh! Again I can reference what was provided in the other thread you participated in.
    (http://www.debatepolitics.com/scienc...post1063981739)




    Even Obama acknowledges that making it a Utility wouldn't be all that was needed.

    Even President Obama conceded that a strict Title II approach would not by itself be sufficient because there are hundreds of rules applying to telephone service common carriers that would be inappropriate to apply to broadband, like, for example, rate regulation.

    In addition, even Title II does not ban paid prioritization completely.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/te...net-rules.html




    That is my point and why neutrality is a misnomer.

    Which still does not make classifying it as a utility a wise, let alone correct option.


    Wrong.
    The net is not neutral. And that isn't what this topic is about either.

    It is about what Cruz said in reference to Obama wanting the FCC to classify it as a utility. Classifying it as an utility is not needed, not just because it would give the Gov more control than it already has, but because doing so would cause how much we pay for it to increase because of the new assessed taxes.
    I can tell you that the Universal Service Fund is pure bull****, because my parents live in a rural area and their best Internet service is a Verizon DSL connection at 1-3 Mbps, which in this day and age is closer to dial-up (or the Stone Age) than it is to a 25+ Mbps service in the city. They can't get Internet through FIOS because it doesn't exist or through cable which does. It's a ****ing joke.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •