Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

  1. #1
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,299

    $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Sometimes a billion dollars just isn't enough.

    Sue Ann Hamm, the former wife of oil billionaire Harold Hamm, plans on appealing an Oklahoma court ruling earlier this week which awarded her nearly $1 billion in the couples' divorce.


    Mrs. Hamm, 58, contends the award is not fair. The couple were married for 26 years, have two children and had no prenuptial agreement. As of August, Mr. Hamm was worth over $20 billion, according to Wealth-X.
    "Sue Ann is disappointed in the outcome of this case," said her lawyer Ron Barber. "She dedicated 25 years as Harold's faithful partner in family and business."
    Related: Oil tycoon to pay $1 billion divorce settlement
    As part of the settlement, Mrs. Hamm will be paid a third of the $995.5 million by the end of the year. Her ex-husband is on a payment plan for the remaining $650 million, which he will pay in installments of at least $7 million per month.
    Mrs. Hamm, a lawyer and economist, held executive positions at Mr. Hamm's oil company, Continental Resources (CLR).
    Harold Hamm is somewhat of a legend in the oil businesses. He built the company from the ground up, pioneered the use of fracking and led the development of North Dakota's Bakken oil field.
    During the trial, lawyers for Mrs. Hamm argued that his success was the result of his skill and hard work, and that as his partner she helped make that possible and should be entitled to a sizable share of his wealth.
    Lawyers for Mr. Hamm contended that his wealth was mostly out of his control, dictated more by the rise in oil prices and, as such, is largely not subject to sharing in a divorce.
    [COLOR=#151515][FONT=Lato]"The company was Mr. Hamm's for over 20 years prior to the marriage," said Mr. Hamm's attorney Craig Box.[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
    Geesh...7 million a month? And she's whining?

    Should she actually get more?


    http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/14/luxu...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  2. #2
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    I wonder if she is disappointed because she didn't get "enough", or is it because she wasn't able to take more away from him.

    There is a point when enough is enough, and more doesn't really improve ones life any.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #3
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Geesh...7 million a month? And she's whining?

    Should she actually get more?


    $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing' - Nov. 14, 2014
    This severely deluded woman should get jack.

    She's old enough to take care of herself. Their kids are either past or very near adult age. And when you leave a partnership, you should not be entitled to continue pilfering off your former partner's income. It makes no goddamn sense that someone should remain responsible for someone else's finances after disolving their legal partnership.

    And to complain about it when you're being (unjustly) awarded more money than anyone could ever possibly spend?

    Good lord, what a childish, entitled woman.

  4. #4
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    This severely deluded woman should get jack.

    She's old enough to take care of herself. Their kids are either past or very near adult age. And when you leave a partnership, you should not be entitled to continue pilfering off your former partner's income. It makes no goddamn sense that someone should remain responsible for someone else's finances after disolving their legal partnership.

    And to complain about it when you're being (unjustly) awarded more money than anyone could ever possibly spend?

    Good lord, what a childish, entitled woman.
    Rich people often feel entitled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #5
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    I did not really see from the article (or any other on the subject) that she was "whining" about the monetary value, now and future, settlement. If anything the argument her lawyers put forth was a good one on her participation in the generation of that wealth. As such, not sure I care enough about the "disappointment" assuming it was according to the position of the OP. The appeal may be entirely about her input into the company over time being worth more than this judge thought.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    The fact that the company was his for 20 years before they married strongly suggests to me that she should be very happy and STFU.


    Been up to me, she wouldn't have gotten nearly so much.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I wonder if she is disappointed because she didn't get "enough", or is it because she wasn't able to take more away from him.

    There is a point when enough is enough, and more doesn't really improve ones life any.



    Almost certainly the latter.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #8
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,458

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Geesh...7 million a month? And she's whining?

    Should she actually get more?


    $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing' - Nov. 14, 2014


    Good old American greed.

    Tell me, what is it about this court that makes it "Obama's court"?
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  9. #9
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Should have would have could have had a prenuptial agreement

    No sympathy for the sucker!
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  10. #10
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: $1 billion divorce settlement 'disappointing'

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I did not really see from the article (or any other on the subject) that she was "whining" about the monetary value, now and future, settlement. If anything the argument her lawyers put forth was a good one on her participation in the generation of that wealth. As such, not sure I care enough about the "disappointment" assuming it was according to the position of the OP. The appeal may be entirely about her input into the company over time being worth more than this judge thought.
    But it doesn't say anything about how she supposedly "contributed." This company was his, and successfully so, long before their marriage. Being a cheerleader doesn't count as a substantial contribution to real wealth. Any decent friend or family member should be a good cheerleader. No lawyer mandates you cut them a check for that. That's a completely ridiculous argument.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •