Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 171

Thread: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms[W:169]

  1. #81
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    And how many families do you know where gender differences are not emphasized? Not to mention do these families watch TV, go to the movies, read books? Come on dude , you're stretching like Stretch Armstrong on this one.


    Tim-
    In reality, mine. Most of the girls in my family weren't raised wearing dresses. While we might have had gender specific clothes, we actually had a lot of clothes that either gender could wear. Even my husband and I share socks and some T-shirts.

    But it doesn't matter how many don't emphasize it, only that having an issue with someone of a certain sex dressing a certain way or acting a certain way is something that is taught, not something that children are born feeling.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #82
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There is no expense at all if they are simply using the locker room/bathroom of the gender they identify as. They will simply use the other restrooms.

    And most schools are already switching to single stall showers due to issues with most students not wanting to shower at school because of feeling uncomfortable around others of their own sex now or time constraints.

    Shower stalls stay dry at most public schools - Sun Sentinel
    And there would be less expense then if we just used one shower locker room for both sexes and the mentally disturbed. But that's not going to happen.

    From your article:
    Eyes bulge at the mere mention of showering around other students, which was common — mandatory even — in middle schools and high schools across the country just a decade or two ago.
    It was a huge mistake moving away from this.

  3. #83
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And there would be less expense then if we just used one shower locker room for both sexes and the mentally disturbed. But that's not going to happen.

    From your article:

    It was a huge mistake moving away from this.
    You cannot force students to shower. They simply won't do it and parents will sue if you try to, especially if it leads to their children being ridiculed over something concerning their body or get bullied or something in the showers. I'm all for compromising with single shower stalls, which would help both issues.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #84
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    In reality, mine. Most of the girls in my family weren't raised wearing dresses. While we might have had gender specific clothes, we actually had a lot of clothes that either gender could wear. Even my husband and I share socks and some T-shirts.

    But it doesn't matter how many don't emphasize it, only that having an issue with someone of a certain sex dressing a certain way or acting a certain way is something that is taught, not something that children are born feeling.
    No, not in reality yours, unless you wore unisex underwear and didn't watch a lick of TV or go out into society at all, including schooling. And yes, we learn gender roles from the society around us, it's basic socialization.

  5. #85
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You cannot force students to shower. They simply won't do it and parents will sue if you try to, especially if it leads to their children being ridiculed over something concerning their body or get bullied or something in the showers. I'm all for compromising with single shower stalls, which would help both issues.
    We had no problem requiring kids to shower before. And no, single stalls do not address common dressing areas. Again, there's absolutely no need to be going through this rigmarole for what is essentially a very, very few mentally disturbed individuals.

  6. #86
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, not in reality yours, unless you wore unisex underwear and didn't watch a lick of TV or go out into society at all, including schooling. And yes, we learn gender roles from the society around us, it's basic socialization.
    Can you see my underwear? Many women wear men's underwear. What does watching TV have to do with emphasizing gender?

    Since we learn gender roles from society, then it means we do not have those roles set at birth. This means that others having an issue with someone not complying with the gender role of the physical birth gender is that "someone's" issue, something that "someone" was taught.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #87
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    We had no problem requiring kids to shower before. And no, single stalls do not address common dressing areas. Again, there's absolutely no need to be going through this rigmarole for what is essentially a very, very few mentally disturbed individuals.
    They address a lot of issues, since you can easily cover up prior to leaving the shower stall. No one sees your private parts if you are covered.

    It wouldn't be just for transgendered students. It would be for getting students to be more comfortable in the showers.

    Maybe we should just teach children to be more comfortable around nakedness to begin with, then it wouldn't matter at all to begin with.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #88
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Can you see my underwear? Many women wear men's underwear. What does watching TV have to do with emphasizing gender?

    Since we learn gender roles from society, then it means we do not have those roles set at birth. This means that others having an issue with someone not complying with the gender role of the physical birth gender is that "someone's" issue, something that "someone" was taught.
    First you say that we are socialized into gender roles and then can't figure out how watching TV has anything to do with that?

    And what the hell does my not being able to see your underwear have to do with what we were talking about? You said your home did not separate by gender. And yet you were trained to wear different clothing than the boys at the very least.
    Last edited by clownboy; 11-13-14 at 06:52 PM.

  9. #89
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Maybe we should just teach children to be more comfortable around nakedness to begin with, then it wouldn't matter at all to begin with.
    That is a possibility- with parental consent of course.

    Maybe we should also have comprehensive vouchers that would enable parents to choose the schools with the bath room policies and academic curriculumn that they most agree with.

  10. #90
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Schools propose: Let boys into girls locker rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    First you say that we are socialized into gender roles and then can't figure out how watching TV has anything to do with that?
    That wasn't what was being discussed. Your family does have a much bigger influence on our social learning than the rest of the world, especially during the formative years, which begin prior to when it is healthy to allow children to watch a lot of TV, particularly TV that would be most likely to try to enforce or influence gender roles. If you have a strong foundation of gender roles not being that big of a deal, then it is highly unlikely that this view will be changed by TV viewing, no matter what TV shows. Considering any family is going to take the time to downplay gender roles is likely to not allow those teachings to be undermined by outside influences, I don't see that as an issue.

    And TV doesn't teach us to hate people who are different or do not conform to social gender roles, that would be family who does that.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •