Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 108

Thread: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

  1. #81
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,292

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's a cottage industry on both sides. The same people (in most, but not all cases) who were losing their **** over Charley Rangel saying "cracker" are the ones defending this. But it's all the same, it's fake partisan outrage.

    Haley Barbour didn't get where he is without being a good politician. You don't get to be the chairman of the RNC by being a plain spoken man who doesn't give a rats ass. He's good at making people think he's a plain spoken man who doesn't give a rats ass.

    He knew the racial connotations, and he said it knowing "the scary evil left" would get offended and he'd look like a hero to people who don't know better. Or he's too dumb to notice, but I don't think that a 2 term governor of Mississippi and former RNC chair is that dumb.
    Sorry Rocket - the only people seeing racism here are the ones who continually claim racial bias whenever a negative word is spoken about Obama and his Presidency. It's a knee jerk reaction, perhaps because more and more people on the left are ashamed of having voted for the disaster twice.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #82
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    55,111

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Tar-Baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    He knew what he was saying, and where it was coming from. Or he's an ignoramus. You can't have it both ways.

    I'm not saying that he said anything racist. I'm saying that he either knew there was racial baggage because of the Uncle Remus connection, or he's a Rangel-class dummy who should think before he opens his mouth.
    You dont know that, nor do you believe it to be true yourself. Its beyond comical that you yourself know it is not a racist term and are not saying what he said was racist, but HE...boy...HE knew and knew and he INTENDED for it to be racist.

    Geeeeeeeee zus.

  3. #83
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56,152
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Tar-Baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    He knew what he was saying, and where it was coming from. Or he's an ignoramus. You can't have it both ways.

    I'm not saying that he said anything racist. I'm saying that he either knew there was racial baggage because of the Uncle Remus connection, or he's a Rangel-class dummy who should think before he opens his mouth.
    There is no "racial baggage" to Uncle Remus. There is only perfectly acceptable racial heritage.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,526

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You dont know that, nor do you believe it to be true yourself. Its beyond comical that you yourself know it is not a racist term and are not saying what he said was racist, but HE...boy...HE knew and knew and he INTENDED for it to be racist.

    Geeeeeeeee zus.
    All my life I've understood what a tar-baby is and remain astonished that a few think it's a racist term. After Googling about and checking the OED too, I realize that there are morons who use it as a racist epithet. But I've never met someone who does and also have never heard or read of "tar-baby" used in such a context.

    I've wondered if part of what's going on here is regional. Maybe Tres and others are unfamiliar with the "Uncle Remus" stories and their author, who was no racist, LOL. But Haley Barbour surely would be familiar with the term and would, in my opinion, surely be using the ordinarily-understood meaning.

    I am very sorry that a few see racism in everything and am just as sorry that some don't recognize a well-known literary reference, a term employed by Mark Twain too.

    But this makes me want to begin using a beloved word I gave up long ago because I wanted to be exquisitely sensitive. I remember exactly where I was the last time I said "niggardly" and saw the shocked faces of my audience.

    I'm tired of the exquisitely sensitive crap. I stopped using the term "gypped" the second I learned its origin and how dreadfully insulting it is. I sincerely and frequently use the term "other-abled" rather than "disabled."

    But yikes, people are having fits over "tar-baby"? You know, enough. "Niggardly" is a fabulous word, so Silas Marner and Scrooge. "Tar-baby" describes perfectly a sticky situation from which you cannot extricate yourself because the more you struggle, the more trapped you become.

    Maybe instead of continuing to dumb down the language and therefore the way we conceptualize, we should smarten up.

    Here's what the Chair of the Black Caucus says: Black Caucus chairman defends Barbour

  5. #85
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,607

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You dont know that, nor do you believe it to be true yourself. Its beyond comical that you yourself know it is not a racist term and are not saying what he said was racist, but HE...boy...HE knew and knew and he INTENDED for it to be racist.

    Geeeeeeeee zus.
    He intended to stir the pot, and succeeded. 2016 is coming. If he makes himself a folksy RW hero....


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  6. #86
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,607

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Maybe instead of continuing to dumb down the language and therefore the way we conceptualize, we should smarten up.
    Would you say we should do the same with the term "cracker?"

    It's faux partisan rage in both cases.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  7. #87
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56,152
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Would you say we should do the same with the term "cracker?"

    It's faux partisan rage in both cases.
    "Cracker" is an insult. "Tar baby" is not.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #88
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,607

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    "Cracker" is an insult. "Tar baby" is not.
    So you want these guys to change their name? Because it's insulting...hmmmm.....



    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  9. #89
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56,152
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So you want these guys to change their name? Because it's insulting...hmmmm.....

    I actually don't care, but the terms are not equivalent.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #90
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,292

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Would you say we should do the same with the term "cracker?"

    It's faux partisan rage in both cases.
    If Charlie Rangel had used the word cracker to describe a biscuit often eaten with cheese, it wouldn't be the slightest bit racist, even though it does have racial undertones. Your equating the two doesn't serve you well.

    Context is everything when parsing language.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •