Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 108

Thread: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

  1. #61
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Right.

    Because the folks who are going to get offended by this probably have the intellectual wherewithal to research the etymology of the phrase "tar baby" and conclude, "You know what? This rich, white, southern, conservative lobbyist is on point using this quasi-racist term correctly in this case. Let's give him a pass."

    Bottom line is the guy might be right, but he's still tone deaf.

    The Republican Party isn't going to earn any friends among a growing minority electorate when its "star players" consistently piss all over that electorate.

    This isn't about "being right". It's about winning national elections.
    I disagree.

    It might be good short term politics to kowtow to whatever the left defines as racist, and that pretty much seems to be anything the right does regardless of if the left does it themselves, but it's not going to do them any favors in the long run. It is about winning national elections and at some point the GOP needs to stop letting the left define them as racists by apologizing over every perceived slight. There's nothing racist about not voting for a man whose politics you disagree with even if he happens to be black nor is there any racist about using a commonly used word correctly, in the proper context.

    It's not like the black community is going to be pulling too many levers for the GOP anytime soon anyway.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    If you are a champion of equality, then it's good to begin to treat others equally.

    Let's say a non-Black, White politician like Romney made a comment after a Black man raped and beat a White female to death in a sensational new story (even though events like these are banned by the MM).

    If Romney had said, "That raped and murdered girl could have been my daughter." Would that have been viewed as racist?

    Of course the Liberal hypocrites would have any White person in high office making basically the same statements as Obama burned at the stake.

    A fair-minded person would have expected Obama, as the President, for goodness sake, to keep his mouth shut during the Trayvon case.
    Your strawman argument aside, NOTHING you said shows what OBAMA said is racist in saying "If I had a son he would look like". Now, was it a stupid comment to make given the situation? Absolutely. Was it racist? Nope, try again.

  3. #63
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    apologize! ostracized! for what?
    it was a very appropriate usage
    some of Obama's policies ARE tar babies for those seeking election
    if Obama were not black, would there be any outrage about such use of the expression "tar baby"

    USA. home of the offended


    "tar baby" is a problematical expression which it's better not to use because it offends quite a few people.

    Anyone who uses this term is asking for trouble.

  4. #64
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Your strawman argument aside, NOTHING you said shows what OBAMA said is racist in saying "If I had a son he would look like". Now, was it a stupid comment to make given the situation? Absolutely. Was it racist? Nope, try again.
    Yes if BO only made just this one slip---even I would cut him a break. However, BO has made his racial biases known by writing two books with a number of pro-Black quotes. Pandering to his base, or what used to be his base of Black voters in many speeches. Or his immediate response in other racial confrontations like with Henry Louis Gates and Michael Brown where he takes sides without thinking.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  5. #65
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    God, people in America are such wimps and desperate in their need to be offended.


    The term tar baby has been used tens of thousands of times to describe a "sticky situation". The Oxford American Dictionary defines tar baby as "a difficult problem, that is only aggravated by attempts to solve it."

    Thankfully, I've got far better things to spend my time on in life than getting falsely offended over nothing.


    People who aren't POC shouldn't try to decide what POC's are offended by.

    OTOH: "Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred." ~ Jacques Barzun

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Yes if BO only made just this one slip---even I would cut him a break. However, BO has made his racial biases known by writing two books with a number of pro-Black quotes. Pandering to his base, or what used to be his base of Black voters in many speeches. Or his immediate response in other racial confrontations like with Henry Louis Gates and Michael Brown where he takes sides without thinking.
    Yet again, I'm not arguing that Obama hasn't used race before. I'm only stating that him saying "If I had a son he would look like" is not racist. There is simply no argument to support that comment as racist. His other comments, I don't support and agree with you on. There is plenty to nail Obama on for race stuff, but the one comment you said is racist, simply isn't is all.

  7. #67
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    It's from a Disney flick Song of the South. The best music ever from any Disney flick and they've long since shelved the movie because it portrayed slavery south with positive characters. It was part of the lessons Briar Rabbit learned. Barbour used the term absolutely appropriately and it wasn't a racist term.

    The movie suffers from Huck Finn syndrome where modern folk just can't handle the real past.

    My Grandma used to read us the real Grimm's Fairy Tales. These days that would be considered child abuse.
    no it isnt. From Uncle Remus books circa 1880.

  8. #68
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yet again, I'm not arguing that Obama hasn't used race before. I'm only stating that him saying "If I had a son he would look like" is not racist. There is simply no argument to support that comment as racist. His other comments, I don't support and agree with you on. There is plenty to nail Obama on for race stuff, but the one comment you said is racist, simply isn't is all.
    I don't see anyone in agreement with you on the "If I had a son" statement.

    Which is so obvious to the common man. Why should a Black thug like Trayvon Martin be sancitified? He was a gansta wannabe, fought and bullied others at school and was kicked-out. Wore attire that criminals do when they walk around after dark to harm others. And he tried to kill a neighborhood watchman.

    Why would a sitting president say a person like this could be his own son if he did not support the Black gangsta culture Trayvon represented?
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  9. #69
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    He's a smart enough politician to know what he said. It got his name in a headline again.
    What is a 'tar baby'?

  10. #70
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Haley Barbour apologizes after calling Obama’s policies ‘tar babies’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    What is a 'tar baby'?
    We both know perfectly well what he meant. He's also been around enough to know that what he was saying would cause a stir. He's not an idiot. He knew what he was saying and he's smart enough to choose his words carefully.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •