Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Iraq War veteran and anti-war activist Tomas Young has died at the age of 34. One of the first to openly oppose the US-led war after being paralyzed while deployed, Young spoke to many, including RT, about why we should demand more of our leaders. RTís Manila Chan has the interview.



    Video @: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    RIP. A great activist who was one of the first to speak out against the War in Iraq.


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    I wonder if he had come back whole had he had the same feelings?

  3. #3
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I wonder if he had come back whole had he had the same feelings?
    Who knows? But there are plenty of able bodied veterans with similar stances.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    Who knows? But there are plenty of able bodied veterans with similar stances.
    I respect them, but they knew when they took the oath they would perhaps face a war time situation.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I respect them, but they knew when they took the oath they would perhaps face a war time situation.
    True. But people can change with life experience.

  6. #6
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I respect them, but they knew when they took the oath they would perhaps face a war time situation.
    Yes - but that doesn't mean that they can't form an opinion in response to the government's decisions. No one says 'without question' - If anything, their opinions matter more.

    Soldiers have the basic right to object to the leadership when leadership has gone too far and violated their core beliefs.

    Otherwise - you have the platform for Nazi-ism where, no matter what, you have no choice and must comply. We are not a totalitarian regime, here.

    Now it might violate CODE - it might bump them ranks or get them discharged, but it's still their 1st Amendment Right.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    True. But people can change with life experience.
    Life changes doesn't null oaths.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #8
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Life changes doesn't null oaths.
    Did he not fulfill his oath? No oath I ever took stated I couldn't protest once I was discharged and a private citizen again.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes - but that doesn't mean that they can't form an opinion in response to the government's decisions. No one says 'without question' - If anything, their opinions matter more.

    Soldiers have the basic right to object to the leadership when leadership has gone too far and violated their core beliefs.

    Otherwise - you have the platform for Nazi-ism where, no matter what, you have no choice and must comply. We are not a totalitarian regime, here.

    Now it might violate CODE - it might bump them ranks or get them discharged, but it's still their 1st Amendment Right.
    True First Amendment means you will face no discipline for your speech or spoken opinion. So your last line is wrong.

  10. #10
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,661

    Re: Iraq veteran, activist Tomas Young dies at 34

    Let us try to remember and respect all those who served, not just the ones we agree with.
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 11-11-14 at 01:27 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •