Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 361

Thread: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Scott

  1. #351
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    They oppose the section of the Voting Rights Act which allows the DOJ to review proposed changes to the voting laws in states that have used the laws to restrict the voting rights of blacks in the past. There was a recent SCOTUS case that addressed this.
    Hmm...

    Well that could potentially be a reasonable point, assuming they can show/prove that they have no intention of abusing that change. Frankly at this point I doubt those states would try anything, after this length of time.

    But then I've always lived in PA, so I am somewhat insulated from the general opinions in other areas of the country.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #352
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Hmm...

    Well that could potentially be a reasonable point, assuming they can show/prove that they have no intention of abusing that change. Frankly at this point I doubt those states would try anything, after this length of time.

    But then I've always lived in PA, so I am somewhat insulated from the general opinions in other areas of the country.
    In the 2012 election, there were several hundred proposed changes that were deemed unfair so it seems apparent that states are still willing to try anything. After all, when have politicians ever refrained from trying to get away with something or failed to push the envelope concerning the law?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #353
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Not really. point being if you are of one race and you start talking about how another should behave, you might be a wee bit racist. I made no judgment of anyones race.
    Not really bigotted how? You judged the validity of a person's opinion based on their race. Is that not bigotted? (You will, of course, note the use of the word "bigotted" and not "racist"). I'm still a little confused as to the reason a person's race should be used to immediately disqualify their opinion. If you value diversity - the real kind of diversity, not the skin-deep kind - shouldn't such brash, superficial judgements be avoided?

  4. #354
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Not really bigotted how? You judged the validity of a person's opinion based on their race. Is that not bigotted? (You will, of course, note the use of the word "bigotted" and not "racist"). I'm still a little confused as to the reason a person's race should be used to immediately disqualify their opinion. If you value diversity - the real kind of diversity, not the skin-deep kind - shouldn't such brash, superficial judgements be avoided?


    What in the world are you on about. Are you actually lecturing me that if a white dude starts teling black dudes he's not acting black enough for him, the bad part of all that is me pointing out the rather prejudicial and as you say bigoted statements by the white dude? (you can interchange any race you want here).
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #355
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    What in the world are you on about. Are you actually lecturing me that if a white dude starts teling black dudes he's not acting black enough for him, the bad part of all that is me pointing out the rather prejudicial and as you say bigoted statements by the white dude? (you can interchange any race you want here).
    In short: yes. Let me interchange the races for argument's sake. You say that a white dude telling a black dude that he is not acting black enough for him makes the white dude a prejudiced bigot. Is a black dude telling a black dude that he is not acting black enough for him any less prejudiced or bigotted? You've previously answered that question with a "yes." On the face of things, there is nothing that indicates a difference in the level of prejudice or bigotry between the people making that statement based on skin color of the person making the statement. You are assuming racial stereotypes to criticize others for their use of racial stereotypes.

    What makes your statement interesting is that the actual race of the person whose opinion you are judging is not even established. You are assuming their race from their opinion (which implies a belief that black people don't have diversity of opinion, or at least equally valid diversity of opinion). That is what I mean when I say you are assuming racial stereotypes.
    Last edited by CycloneWanderer; 11-12-14 at 04:05 PM.

  6. #356
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    In short: yes. Let me interchange the races for argument's sake. You say that a white dude telling a black dude that he is not acting black enough for him makes the white dude a prejudiced bigot. Is a black dude telling a black dude that he is not acting black enough for him any less prejudiced or bigotted? You've previously answered that question with a "yes."

    I see what you are doing, trying to reframe what I say to make it look cool that white people saying a black person is not "Acting black" isn't a racist statement....., I disagree.


    I think it's unfortunate when black folk call other black folk uncle toms or accusing them of being "too white"... but that's another thing altogether.



    \ On the face of things, there is nothing that indicates a difference in the level of prejudice or bigotry between the people making that statement based on skin color of the person making the statement. You are assuming racial stereotypes to criticize others for their use of racial stereotypes.
    \

    what is this jibber jabber, by this logic, any comment on a racist statement, would be racist in and of itself. The logic, where did it go my friend? lol



    What makes your statement interesting is that the actual race of the person whose opinion you are judging is not even established. You are assuming their race from their opinion (which implies a belief that black people don't have diversity of opinion, or at least equally valid diversity of opinion). That is what I mean when I say you are assuming racial stereotypes.

    wait, by your "logic" that would make you stating racist things, because you are assumming that I am assuming, that the race of a person making the comment is relevant to the notion suggesting one not acting like how that particular race should "act" is racist.


    lmao
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #357
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I see what you are doing, trying to reframe what I say to make it look cool that white people saying a black person is not "Acting black" isn't a racist statement....., I disagree.


    I think it's unfortunate when black folk call other black folk uncle toms or accusing them of being "too white"... but that's another thing altogether.




    \

    what is this jibber jabber, by this logic, any comment on a racist statement, would be racist in and of itself. The logic, where did it go my friend? lol






    wait, by your "logic" that would make you stating racist things, because you are assumming that I am assuming, that the race of a person making the comment is relevant to the notion suggesting one not acting like how that particular race should "act" is racist.


    lmao
    With this post you demonstrate either a complete lack of comprehension of the words put in front of your face and their meaning, an extreme bias which distorts all information you are cognizant of, or a purposeful misrepresentation of the words of others. In all cases, it would be folly for me to engage you in further dialogue. I can only hope that the others reading these words are more capable. With that said, I bid you adieu.

  8. #358
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    With this post you demonstrate either a complete lack of comprehension of the words put in front of your face and their meaning, an extreme bias which distorts all information you are cognizant of, or a purposeful misrepresentation of the words of others. In all cases, it would be folly for me to engage you in further dialogue. I can only hope that the others reading these words are more capable. With that said, I bid you adieu.


    I just did what you did, only better.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #359
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I just did what you did, only better.
    The thought that you actually believe what you type saddens me more than you know. Don't worry for my sake though, I will endure it.

  10. #360
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    The thought that you actually believe what you type saddens me more than you know. Don't worry for my sake though, I will endure it.


    Your well being are things, I find myself not caring about. Your point on the other hand was asinine. If I posted "obama doesn't act black" you and numerous others would rightfully call that a racist statement. obfuscating this point, does not mean you win an argument my friend.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •