Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 361

Thread: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Scott

  1. #301
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Of course it's the same, and I'm not out to defend the NAACP from charges of being overly partisan.

    But if her race is immaterial, why is it "bad NAACP" for not making it a big deal? She's not the first black member of Congress. Scott is not the first black Senator. First from their party in a long time, perhaps, but why has it taken so long for black Republicans to get elected, and how is that Democrats' fault?
    When we finally got a black POTUS it was a big deal because that required majority voluntary public support for the "person of color" getting elected. It is no less of a big deal because it happened second (or again) in Utah or South Carolina. Being the first (black or woman) is not the point at all - the important point is that it was done by completely voluntary majority public support.

    The scariest thing in the world to the NAACP is losing the ability to call republicants racist and the demorats the (only?) defenders (representatives?) of black people - taking that "race card" off the table makes the NAACP just another demorat cheerleading group.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #302
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    When we finally got a black POTUS it was a big deal because that required majority voluntary public support for the "person of color" getting elected. It is no less of a big deal because it happened second (or again) in Utah or South Carolina. Being the first (black or woman) is not the point at all - the important point is that it was done by completely voluntary majority public support.
    Umm, no. The election of a black president was a big deal because it rarely (as in never before, in this case) happens. The election of Love and Brown was notable because the election of a black *republican* is rare. If they were elected as democrats, it wouldn't be noticed by the media because there have been dozens of black democrats who have won elections
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #303
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: NAACP Releases Statement On 2014 Elections, But No Mention Of Mia Love Or Tim Sco

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Out of the the title, NAACP you nit picked the word "colored" to base your entire premise on. So I think I'll nit pick the word "people" and suggest that one or two blacks does not an entire demographic make.
    I did no such thing. I quoted their mission statement. I added their vision statement as well below. Democrats tend to carry between 80-90% of the black vote. So does that mean to you, that the other 20-10% don't count?

    OUR MISSION

    The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.

    Vision Statement
    The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights without discrimination based on race.

    http://www.naacp.org/pages/our-mission
    I think I stated quite clearly that the NAACP is a black organization funded by blacks for black causes. I don't know about Tim Scott, but Mia Love was not elected by blacks and she doesn't represent blacks in congress and I doubt that she has donated even one thin dime to the NAACP.

    In her CNN interview, Love said her election wasn't about race....but as you can see from the OP and rightwing blogs, conservatives only care about her race. Clearly conservative interest in the NAACP is disingenuous at best and racist at worst.
    You're simply equating Democrat politicians and policies automatically benefit blacks. I disagree with that wholeheartedly but thats not the topic of this thread.

    The bottom line is that the NAACP is a partisan entity that operates counter to their mission and vision statements. If they truly adhered to them, they would have celebrated Scott and Love's election wins as clearly both of them have accomplished something at the core of both statements.

  4. #304
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Umm, no. The election of a black president was a big deal because it rarely (as in never before, in this case) happens. The election of Love and Brown was notable because the election of a black *republican* is rare. If they were elected as democrats, it wouldn't be noticed by the media because there have been dozens of black democrats who have won elections
    Seriously, you would think they just invented a perpetual motion engine. The first black congresswoman (a Democrat, if you must know) was elected to Congress in 1968, but a Republican black woman is elected forty-six years later and every Republican wants a cookie.

    http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_e...irley-chisholm

  5. #305
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    When we finally got a black POTUS it was a big deal because that required majority voluntary public support for the "person of color" getting elected. It is no less of a big deal because it happened second (or again) in Utah or South Carolina. Being the first (black or woman) is not the point at all - the important point is that it was done by completely voluntary majority public support.

    The scariest thing in the world to the NAACP is losing the ability to call republicants racist and the demorats the (only?) defenders (representatives?) of black people - taking that "race card" off the table makes the NAACP just another demorat cheerleading group.
    The first black President was history because there'd never been one. The first black House Member and first Woman were also. Mia Love is neither of those things. Except for being a Republican, there's really nothing special there.

    You're still trying to make this about the NAACP, but I still don't see how NOT making a big deal about her race is wrong. Are they partisan? Sure. I wouldn't have expected Jerry Falwell to get excited about a Christian who is a Democrat getting elected either though. So sure, they're partisan.

    Why are Democrats horrible hypocrites when they're not happy about Republicans getting elected? Why did it take so long to get successful black Republican candidates?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #306
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The scariest thing in the world to the NAACP is losing the ability to call republicants racist and the demorats the (only?) defenders (representatives?) of black people - taking that "race card" off the table makes the NAACP just another demorat cheerleading group.
    Why do you think that the issues the NAACP and similar organizations/people bring up are a "race card" and not a genuine concern?

  7. #307
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The first black President was history because there'd never been one. The first black House Member and first Woman were also. Mia Love is neither of those things. Except for being a Republican, there's really nothing special there.

    You're still trying to make this about the NAACP, but I still don't see how NOT making a big deal about her race is wrong. Are they partisan? Sure. I wouldn't have expected Jerry Falwell to get excited about a Christian who is a Democrat getting elected either though. So sure, they're partisan.

    Why are Democrats horrible hypocrites when they're not happy about Republicans getting elected? Why did it take so long to get successful black Republican candidates?
    The point of the OP, which seems to lost on many, is that the NAACP is trying to assert that "voter suppression" is causing the demorats to lose to republicants. Do you feel that "voter suppression" had any impact on the election of Love or Scott? How about any other election? IMHO, the goal of the NAACP, with this press release, is to increase the black vote for demorats so they could care less about any issue or event that does not help further that goal.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #308
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Why do you think that the issues the NAACP and similar organizations/people bring up are a "race card" and not a genuine concern?
    Maybe the organization's very name helps to guide me in that direction.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #309
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Maybe the organization's very name helps to guide me in that direction.
    Why do you think that their mission to aid in the "advancement of colored people" indicates that they are playing "a card" and not, instead, genuinely concerned about the "advancement of colored people"?

  10. #310
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Patthetic NAACP fails to mention historic wins by Tim Scott and Mia Love.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Why do you think that their mission to aid in the "advancement of colored people" indicates that they are playing "a card" and not, instead, genuinely concerned about the "advancement of colored people"?


    because they call some black people who advance "uncle tom" because they hold different political views.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •