Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

  1. #41
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    No you both are wrong. To act like suicide is the bravest choice establishes that fighting cancer to the end is less the cowardly choice. Killing yourself is not braver than fighting for your life except in messed up minds. She killed herself. That does not make her brave, noble, or anything but dead. You cannot spare people from death. It comes one way or the other.
    'Fighting cancer to the end' is a meaningless turn of phrase. There is no battle, no combat going on. Someone is suffering from a disease and they either have a chance of being cured and pursue treatment or they do not. This women had no chance of survival and was looking at an extraordinary amount of suffering and incapacitation. There was no 'battle' for her to fight.

  2. #42
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    'Fighting cancer to the end' is a meaningless turn of phrase. There is no battle, no combat going on. Someone is suffering from a disease and they either have a chance of being cured and pursue treatment or they do not. This women had no chance of survival and was looking at an extraordinary amount of suffering and incapacitation. There was no 'battle' for her to fight.
    You are wrong. Even if you are not going to win the cancer, you can at least buy yourself time. Very few people I know wouldn't love to have 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days more with someone they lost.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,515

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    You can live with dignity; you can't die with it.

    Glamorizing this is just sick.

  4. #44
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,525

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    You can live with dignity; you can't die with it.

    Glamorizing this is just sick.
    Hopefully you never get a terminal disease where you have to put that statement to test.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You are wrong. Even if you are not going to win the cancer, you can at least buy yourself time. Very few people I know wouldn't love to have 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days more with someone they lost.
    The only way you can buy yourself time is with medical treatment. "Fighting" has nothing to do with it. Straining her body with drugs and chemotherapy until she's a mentally addled husk just to add a few weeks or months to her life obviously wasn't ideal to her.

  6. #46
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    May she rest in peace.

    After watching a loved one go through the final days of cancer, no pain was involved, they were given enough pain medication to knock out an elephant. I find it amazing in some states people are given the choice when life is over.

  7. #47
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,585
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    No you both are wrong. To act like suicide is the bravest choice establishes that fighting cancer to the end is less the cowardly choice. Killing yourself is not braver than fighting for your life except in messed up minds. She killed herself. That does not make her brave, noble, or anything but dead. You cannot spare people from death. It comes one way or the other.
    People do not sit back and watch animals die slowly, screaming in agony, for weeks or months. They are humanely put out of their misery. Yet humans are not given the same compassion as animals in your world? To force anyone to undergo the equivalent of torture, watching them scream and beg for death, only to smile, refuse help and continue to watch their agony... that's the very definition of sadism. The world is filled with too damned many sadists for my liking.

    I'm glad at least one young woman thought enough of herself and valued her dignity enough to spare herself and her loved ones that ordeal.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,012

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    You can live with dignity; you can't die with it.

    Glamorizing this is just sick.
    In some cases, with some diseases there is no dignity in living to die, but you can die with dignity. You can die in a way that leaves you with some resemblance of yourself, it is a peaceful and respectful way to go out for you and your loved ones.

    Glamorizing needless suffering, pain and loosing your pride/humanity is what is sick.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #49
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Ms. Brittany Maynard has died in infamy. Not many can make that claim. Way to go girl!

    Rest in Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I am inclined to feel that fighting until the last is the braver choice than this, especially when one knows that it is a losing fight. It was her life to do with as she so chose, but I do not see anything especially commendable about her decision.
    Dying itself may not be commendable, but fighting for other people to have that choice is commendable.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •