Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 228

Thread: Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to

  1. #61
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It wasn't there.
    "And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I did. It's directly quoted in the OP. He says other things in the speech, but he also said what's right there in the OP. "And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."
    Here it is:

    THE PRESIDENT: True. (Laughter.) And too often, parents have no choice but to put their kids in cheaper daycare that maybe doesn’t have the kinds of programming that makes a big difference in a child’s development. And sometimes there may just not be any slots, or the best programs may be too far away. And sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make.
    Is that really the part being quoted as an example of how Obama wants mothers to go to work and leave their kids in state run preschools?

    Or, does it have more to do with the lifetime earnings of women?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    There's no question that Obama believes it'd be better to have the child spend less time in a family environment and more in the control of the community.
    That reminds me that there was a recent study showing a link between those that spend more time in day care as a child and violent behavior when they are adults.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    That reminds me that there was a recent study showing a link between those that spend more time in day care as a child and violent behavior when they are adults.
    Color me not surprised.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Here it is:



    Is that really the part being quoted as an example of how Obama wants mothers to go to work and leave their kids in state run preschools?

    Or, does it have more to do with the lifetime earnings of women?
    Referring to his actual words, what choice do YOU think he's suggesting Americans shouldn't make?

  6. #66
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Greetings, Polgara.

    I can't hardly believe that Obama would be making or even thinking that pre-schoolers should be raised in state schools. That's such a non-starter for so many to be an impossible political position to hold.

    I have to believe that he's just misstating, and is wanting to help out mom's who want to work but can't for whatever reasons.

    If I'm wrong, and he really does think that the state should raise the young, then he's not going to be able to make that happen. It just simply won't.
    Those that like the idea of having no responsibility for their children, except for birthing them, will hail this! We're already seeing it. The rest of us will tell them to pedal their garbage elsewhere.

    I remember seeing pictures of the children in Romania and how they suffered as a result of Romanian dictator Ceausesco's decision to do exactly what is being proposed here. He and his wife were executed by firing squad in 1989 - 120 bullets were found in their bodies, BTW, and the people cheered! Just saying....

  7. #67
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Here it is:



    Is that really the part being quoted as an example of how Obama wants mothers to go to work and leave their kids in state run preschools?

    Or, does it have more to do with the lifetime earnings of women?
    What it has more to do with is irrelevant. You can infer that he meant to say that that's not a choice we want Americans to HAVE to make, but that's not what he said. Had he said that, I would agree with you. In fact, I think that may have been what he meant to say. But he didn't say it, he may have meant to say exactly what he said. If you want to analyse it, that's fine, but one possible analysis of what he "really" meant to say is that he thinks it's more important for women to stay in the workforce earning money than it is to stay at home with the kids so that they can maintain the same wages as men that don't stay home with the kids instead of working. It could also be inferred...since we're inferring...that he thinks kids should be in govt run institutions rather than at home.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #68
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Those that like the idea of having no responsibility for their children, except for birthing them, will hail this! We're already seeing it. The rest of us will tell them to pedal their garbage elsewhere.

    I remember seeing pictures of the children in Romania and how they suffered as a result of Romanian dictator Ceausesco's decision to do exactly what is being proposed here. He and his wife were executed by firing squad in 1989 - 120 bullets were found in their bodies, BTW, and the people cheered! Just saying....
    All President Obama is proposing is that parents have access to high-quality day cares for their children for when those times that one or both parents can't be at home. And that women's wages shouldn't suffer if they take a couple years out of the workforce to stay home with their children.

    Wow. And now you are comparing him to Romania. Huh. Quite a leap.

  9. #69
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Greetings, Polgara.

    I can't hardly believe that Obama would be making or even thinking that pre-schoolers should be raised in state schools. That's such a non-starter for so many to be an impossible political position to hold.

    I have to believe that he's just misstating, and is wanting to help out mom's who want to work but can't for whatever reasons.

    If I'm wrong, and he really does think that the state should raise the young, then he's not going to be able to make that happen. It just simply won't.
    The idea is to create an endless supply of gov't depended folks, that require an ever growing huge nanny state, to keep them voting for more of their "fair share" of the American pie. Drop out of school, get a McJob (or not) and breed like bunnies - no problem since the huge federal nanny state will make that personal choice (wise decision?) work out just fine. Some need gov't (it takes a village?) to supply that which they would otherwise need to use their own labor to secure; it is best for America's children that way - just ask Obama.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #70
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    He said he doesn't want American moms to do it, but instead to put them in state sponsored schools and get back to work.
    I'm sure you have a quote of him saying "I don't want moms to raise their children"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •