Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 228

Thread: Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Thomistic philosophy views women this way. Pick your heroes better.
    No it doesn't.

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes "Educated, intelligent, and capable of learning just about anything" means nothing. Must be male for this to mean something. [Sarcasm - btw. I don't actually believe that]
    I'm sure many businesses should look at doing "random child-related things" as a big asset to many businesses and shows how dedicated you will be to a job outside the house. BTW, some of the biggest PITA I know volunteer at the PTA. It would actually be a negative for me to have to work with them. I'm sure there are many capable people on the PTA, but not the ones I am familiar with.

  3. #183
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    If an employer values your time siiting at home watching soap operas while pumping your milk, then that is great for you. America needs more dairy workers. If an employer does not, the employer should not be required to pay you for the time you spent that they do not value. Public policy should be oriented toward maximizing opportunity, not wasting resources compensating people for the unwanted results of their own decision.
    That's the 2nd time you've referred to getting a job/working as 'an employer paying you for time spent that they do not value'.

    When you work for someone that is them paying for time that they do value. Yes? It's not a matter of 'retroactive back-pay' and 'compensation' here so I don't know why you keep falling back on that idea you've churned.

    And in all of this you're not proving your point - you're simply supporting my own point.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #184
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    That's the 2nd time you've referred to getting a job/working as 'an employer paying you for time spent that they do not value'.

    When you work for someone that is them paying for time that they do value. Yes? It's not a matter of 'retroactive back-pay' and 'compensation' here so I don't know why you keep falling back on that idea you've churned.

    And in all of this you're not proving your point - you're simply supporting my own point.
    Because the whole concept is that if you took ten years off to raise your kids you should be given ten years seniority that you did not earn which in turn gives you ten years of pay raises you did not merit which in turn equally punishes the single person who has worked 6 years while you sat at home writing, watching the View or whatever the hell the person did. If a company values that, they already pay you for that. If they don't, they don't. This is nothing more than a "oh women are to put upon" thread. They made the choice to carry their children to term, then they should live with the consequences. We have a surplus of unemployed workers. Rewarding people who don't work is insane.

  5. #185
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Because the whole concept is that if you took ten years off to raise your kids you should be given ten years seniority that you did not earn which in turn gives you ten years of pay raises you did not merit which in turn equally punishes the single person who has worked 6 years while you sat at home writing, watching the View or whatever the hell the person did. If a company values that, they already pay you for that. If they don't, they don't. This is nothing more than a "oh women are to put upon" thread. They made the choice to carry their children to term, then they should live with the consequences. We have a surplus of unemployed workers. Rewarding people who don't work is insane.
    None of this connects to anything I have stated in this thread.

    I've talked about society's views and attitudes toward women and mothers [which your attitude and remarks fully display and support]

    And in turn you're talking about - I'm not sure - something someone else might have said at some point, I guess.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #186
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Exactly right. Which is why I said that way above, when you decided to stick your nose in.
    Yes, you spoke about two parent families above....and I didn't correct you about that

    Then you spoke about single parent families....so I corrected you because he didn't limit his comments to single parent families
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #187
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,413

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    I am going to say this, I know its probably going to really piss some people off but here goes anyway. I am married, my wife and I have been married for nearly 15 years now and we have 3 kids. We both work full time (many weeks I work far more than just 40 hours). We have both always worked full time. Income wise I guess we are upper middle class, however we don't live extravagantly. We live in a 1,200 square foot house and neither of us drive expensive vehicles. The reason why my wife never stayed home with the kids (other than FMLA time), is that we can't afford it because we would have lost her income by her doing so. We have some friends of course that are stay at home moms, thats great if they can do that and families should always be able to make such decisions themselves. Where I get really annoyed is when I hear the following:

    1. "Being a parent is the hardest job you can do."
    -Parenting is not a job, its a responsibility. It is a responsibility you have regardless of whether you have a full time job or not.

    2. "I stayed home because I did not want other people raising my kids."
    -Parents that work full time are not letting other people raise their kids by sending them to day school. Making such an argument is as stupid as saying that sending them to elementary school is letting someone else raise their kids.

    3. "Being a stay at home parent is the hardest job you could ever have."
    -The only people that say this are those people that have never held a hard job. Yes, raising kids is hard. You know how you make it harder? Work full time then come home and do all the crap you do on top of it. Its not like we have some maid coming in and cleaning our house and picking up after our kids. We don't have a cook making our meals. We don't have a tutor helping our kids with their homework. We don't have a nanny taking them to all their practices, games, and all the activities they have after school.

    Its a rare day that I so much as sit down before 9 PM. I hardly watch any TV shows anymore because I never have to the time to do so. Every night I get home and either my wife or me does the dishes, laundry, cleans, helps the kids with their home work, cooks, does the dishes, cleans the kitchen, takes the kids to their various practices and so on. Then at those games and practices I get to listen to stay at home mom's with 2 kids (we have 3) talk about how tired they are (and then talk about various tv shows they are watching and so on). The whole time I am thinking you should follow me or my wife around because we have done everything you have done today plus work full time.

    Let's take my Monday for example:

    Tomorrow morning I will get up a little before 6 AM so I can make my breakfast, coffee, and feed the dogs. I will then wake our kids up and make their breakfast. My wife then gets up and makes their lunch and takes them to school (our youngest has to be there before our other 2 kids). I will then go in early to work because I need to get some stuff done before everyone gets in, work all day, then when I get home take one of our daughters for a run, take our son to the gym and work out with him, come home and cook dinner, eat, do the dishes and clean the kitchen up, and then maybe read a little while before I go to sleep only to get up the next day where we have far more going on tomorrow.

    So you know what, I don't want to hear about the "sacrifices" a stay at home parent is making. We all make sacrifices as parents, its part of being a parent.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #188
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    None of this connects to anything I have stated in this thread.

    I've talked about society's views and attitudes toward women and mothers [which your attitude and remarks fully display and support]

    And in turn you're talking about - I'm not sure - something someone else might have said at some point, I guess.
    What you are talking about is women's attitude toward society not the other way around. You feel that women should have their cake and eat it too. If you are opposed to abortion, then your position has merit and is consistent. If you support abortion and do not believe that women should live with the consequences of their decision not to abort, then your positions toward women lack a principled core. That you think this issue is confined to women who stay home indicates it is likely the latter.

  9. #189
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    It is a simple fact: Someone leaving the workforce and not having that experience on their resume, will hurt earnings potential in most cases and there is nothing, to me, wrong with that.
    But they do have experience on their resume. Employers just choose to treat that experience as though it's worthless.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #190
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    We've been over this before. You know what "natural" means in Thomist philosophy.
    Yes. Fallacious nonsense.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •