Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 228

Thread: Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, here is a fuller and more complete quote


    emphasis mine

    He is not saying he doesn't want americans to choose to stay home. He's saying the choice should not be between cheap and inadequate day care or stop working and stay home to take care of the children
    With the more completed quote, he is saying more than yu are indicating. THere are at least two choices being discussed. The choice between poor or good day care... and the choice between a mom (typically) staying home or putting their child in day care. He believes that the mom staying home and the choice of poor day care are both choices we don't want a mom to have to make.

  2. #152
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, here is a fuller and more complete quote


    emphasis mine

    He is not saying he doesn't want americans to choose to stay home. He's saying the choice should not be between cheap and inadequate day care or stop working and stay home to take care of the children
    Sounds to me like he wants to create standardized testing and federal oversight of daycare standards. As long as your kid comes home alive and unmolested, the day care center has done its job.

  3. #153
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    He believes that the mom staying home and the choice of poor day care are both choices we don't want a mom to have to make.
    Nope. Again the complete quote is necessary:

    "Sometimes, someone, usually Mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result."

    I added the bold to point out that there is another factor that needs to be considered: If the choice did NOT leave the woman earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result, then the issue would be a whole different ball of wax.

    The real issue here is that there is a penalty for staying home with the kids. You can't simply ignore that portion of what he said because it's massively important.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #154
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Nope. Again the complete quote is necessary:

    "Sometimes, someone, usually Mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result."

    I added the bold to point out that there is another factor that needs to be considered: If the choice did NOT leave the woman earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result, then the issue would be a whole different ball of wax.

    The real issue here is that there is a penalty for staying home with the kids. You can't simply ignore that portion of what he said because it's massively important.
    Such a person is not being penalized. They just are not being financially rewarded. To be penalized, they would have to be losing something they have earned. They have not earned the money not working and they are not entitled to money for not working.

  5. #155
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Nope. Again the complete quote is necessary:

    "Sometimes, someone, usually Mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result."

    I added the bold to point out that there is another factor that needs to be considered: If the choice did NOT leave the woman earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result, then the issue would be a whole different ball of wax.

    The real issue here is that there is a penalty for staying home with the kids. You can't simply ignore that portion of what he said because it's massively important.
    You and Sangha are making too much sense for the die-hard anti-Obama people on this site. I tried to discuss the full context earlier, they just refuse to read or something.

  6. #156
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    With the more completed quote, he is saying more than yu are indicating. THere are at least two choices being discussed. The choice between poor or good day care... and the choice between a mom (typically) staying home or putting their child in day care. He believes that the mom staying home and the choice of poor day care are both choices we don't want a mom to have to make.
    Yes, when he says "Too often parents have no choice but to put their kids in cheaper day care" it means "they have the choice of putting them in good day care"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Nope. Again the complete quote is necessary:

    "Sometimes, someone, usually Mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result."

    I added the bold to point out that there is another factor that needs to be considered: If the choice did NOT leave the woman earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result, then the issue would be a whole different ball of wax.

    The real issue here is that there is a penalty for staying home with the kids. You can't simply ignore that portion of what he said because it's massively important.
    You are absolutely correct. I thought of putting that in my post.. but figured that was obvious. Sorry, that it wasn't.

    The fact remains.. There atre two choices involved. The choice of poor or good daycare... and the choice of the mom having to stay home and earn less.

    My original point was, and this was backed by studies, children do better at home then at daycare and single parents don't have much of a choice on leaving the workforce -

  8. #158
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Such a person is not being penalized. They just are not being financially rewarded. To be penalized, they would have to be losing something they have earned. They have not earned the money not working and they are not entitled to money for not working.
    Having your earning potential reduced for taking care of your kids (which is earning a multitude of skills which are readily translatable to a great many jobs) because employers do not give enough credit to those who have earned these skills is a penalty.

    She is earning a lower wage for the rest of her life. That is a penalty.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #159
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, when he says "Too often parents have no choice but to put their kids in cheaper day care" it means "they have the choice of putting them in good day care"
    And when he says the choice of a mom staying home to take care of kids, he obviously only means the choice of poor daycare - which is what you apparently believe.

  10. #160
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Such a person is not being penalized. They just are not being financially rewarded. To be penalized, they would have to be losing something they have earned. They have not earned the money not working and they are not entitled to money for not working.
    Well that's because you see being gainfully employed as being the only form of quantafiable 'hard work' someone can do. I'll have you know I work my ass off. It just doesn't matter.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •