Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 436

Thread: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That does not negate that most races were racist. It is simple. Thinking or treating others poorly due to the colour of their skin is racist. This is an age old truth.
    You don't make people slaves because of the color of their skin. As with Muslims in Africa now, you make people slaves because of disproportionate power. There has been White on White, Black on Black and everything in between. In fact you may be interested to know that the word "Slave" comes from Slav, or Slavic.

    That Muslims would want the Founding Fathers of the United States portrayed as the catchall term 'racist' points out how much more clever they are than many Americans in the educational and political areas, and how these same Americans can easily ignore Muslims atrocities going on in the world today.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That does not negate that most races were racist. It is simple. Thinking or treating others poorly due to the color of their skin is racist. This is an age old truth.
    War and the capture of slaves, or simply murdering the opposition, had nothing to do with 'racism'. This is a modern conceit, and one that is ridiculously overused.

  3. #253
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Moving the goal post. Never stated slavery was OK. What you fail to accept is one should judge people during the time they lived not on today's valuses.

    So should Washington be removed from rushmore?

    It is noted you really didn't answer the question I asked.
    What was your question?

    You proceed as though slavery was widely accepted in the late 1700's and therefore it was OK to buy and sell other human beings. It may have been a much beloved institution in the South - hell they even went to war 80 years later to preserve it - but it wasn't universally accepted. There are great men of the era who were adamantly opposed to it. I remain stunned that you folks choose to give these people a free pass on slavery.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #254
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You don't make people slaves because of the color of their skin. As with Muslims in Africa now, you make people slaves because of disproportionate power. There has been White on White, Black on Black and everything in between. In fact you may be interested to know that the word "Slave" comes from Slav, or Slavic.

    That Muslims would want the Founding Fathers of the United States portrayed as the catchall term 'racist' points out how much more clever they are than many Americans in the educational and political areas, and how these same Americans can easily ignore Muslims atrocities going on in the world today.
    Black people were enslaved in this country because they were black. They were not considered real human beings and therefore slavery was a perfectly acceptable institution. To deny that is to deny the obvious.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  5. #255
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    As has been pointed out numerous times, social standards were different 230 years ago.
    Not for John Adams and the abolitionists. Those are the people that should be heroes to you - after all, as you frequently point out, you are black.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Black people were enslaved in this country because they were black. They were not considered real human beings and therefore slavery was a perfectly acceptable institution. To deny that is to deny the obvious.
    Slaves during that period were Black, but only because they had little in the way to defend themselves. Had they the technology then African Blacks would have taken other African Blacks as slaves, which in fact is what they did. We see Blacks in Africa using slaves today, with Boca Harem being the best known today. Boko Haram's treatment of captured Nigerian girls detailed in new report | Fox News

    As we can see slavery has nothing to do with race. https://www.freetheslaves.net/SlaveryinHistory

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Slaves during that period were Black, but only because they had little in the way to defend themselves. Had they the technology then African Blacks would have taken other African Blacks as slaves, which in fact is what they did. We see Blacks in Africa using slaves today, with Boca Harem being the best known today. Boko Haram's treatment of captured Nigerian girls detailed in new report | Fox News

    As we can see slavery has nothing to do with race. https://www.freetheslaves.net/SlaveryinHistory
    I'm not sure what Boko Haram has to do with educated, intelligent white men were doing in the nation that was supposedly the 'beacon of hope' for the oppressed of the world. If you talk the talk, it seems to me you ought to walk the walk. Read the Declaration of Independence with the knowledge that hundreds of thousands of black people were being treated no better than animals. Makes it ring just a little bit hollow.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #258
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    If you talk the talk, it seems to me you ought to walk the walk. Read the Declaration of Independence with the knowledge that hundreds of thousands of black people were being treated no better than animals. Makes it ring just a little bit hollow.
    That is a tension that the Founders highlighted as well. But Grant is also correct to point out that your claim that slavery=racism for them is ahistorical. Racism as a justification came after.

  9. #259
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    How exactly did the Founders 'highlight' this tension? What the Founders did was basically ignore it and pretend it didn't exist. The Civil War and 100 years of Jim Crow was the price paid for this hypocrisy.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #260
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,334

    re: School's Nation of Islam handout paints Founding Fathers as racists [W:293]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Black people were enslaved in this country because they were black. They were not considered real human beings and therefore slavery was a perfectly acceptable institution. To deny that is to deny the obvious.
    Slavery was some great ploy to keep da black man down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •