Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 131

Thread: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

  1. #31
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Second, that very few people aspire to be nothing other than low-end labor.
    Correct. Very few people aspire to work just to subsist. They will work harder and/or smarter and therefore make enough money to buy things they want. Thus, no "downward spiral."

  2. #32
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    What does Hillary know anyway? She's never had a job working for a business day in and day out, try to climb the ladder to some level of security. Trickle down economy doesn't create jobs for the most part - but not because Hillary said so.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    "Don’t let anybody tell you that it’s corporations and businesses that create jobs"

    So tell me the context that shows she didn't mean what that says.
    Exactly, what possible context do you need to know what that means?

    It's like saying 'Humans cannot breath oxygen'. It does not matter what context you say it, it is still wrong.


    Demand is an emotion and emotions CANNOT create jobs, only human beings can create jobs.

    And outside of government and private citizens (hiring a maid, for example), only a business can create a job.


    Hilary Clinton's above statement is clear and it is 100% erroneous and completely ridiculous - no matter what context she said it in.

    Businesses create the jobs and then fill them. The reason underlying the business decision might be to fulfill an anticipated demand (among other underlying reasons like filling quotas, union demands, etc.). But the business actually created and hired the individual to fill the job.

    Saying an emotion like 'demand' creates jobs is absolute nonsense - just as silly as the 'War on Terror' (you cannot make war against an emotion). Emotions create nothing. Only human beings can create jobs.
    Last edited by DA60; 10-31-14 at 01:09 PM.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    I think you misunderstand the concept of demand. Yes, a private sector company creates jobs, but only when a demand for their product exists. If no one wants what they have to offer, they do not need workers to produce the product. Ergo, the non producing workers won't have a job and nothing to trickle back into the economy.
    Not true. Workers usually must be hired and paid prior to the production of any product or service and indepently of whether sufficient demand exists to make a profit.

  5. #35
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,874

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Correct. Very few people aspire to work just to subsist. They will work harder and/or smarter and therefore make enough money to buy things they want. Thus, no "downward spiral."
    This assumes too much, which anyone can easily see by noticing that we are in fact in the early stages of such a downward spiral. U6 (which is close to real unemployment) is running somewhere around 12-15%. That's definitely lower than it was at the recent peak in 2009-10, but still far too high. It's a simple matter of fact that our economy is struggling, as are many others. And the reason why is because fewer people are working--fewer are able to find work--and so there are fewer customers.

    What's wrong with your analysis is the assumption that people can just get what they want in terms of income and wealth. In an economy with a virtuous cycle, this is mostly true. It's false in the kind of economy we have now. Again, this is just pretty obvious. Why would it be the case that, suddenly, some 15% of the workforce would just decide to not work and live ramshackle lives, when just a few years ago, those same people were making very different decisions? The leap from one to the other doesn't make any sense.

    Being in a downward spiral isn't necessarily a one-way trip. It's possible to get out. But it requires giving up some cherished-but-false dogmas about how economies work.
    Last edited by ashurbanipal; 10-31-14 at 01:33 PM.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    What's wrong with your analysis is the assumption that people can just get what they want in terms of income and wealth.
    On the contrary, I think your analysis assumes that workers are wholly dependent on their employers, that employers do not have to compete for workers, and that people won't get what they want simply because it doesn't happen overnight.

    Why would it be the case that, suddenly, some 15% of the workforce would just decide to not work and live ramshackle lives, when just a few years ago, those same people were making very different decisions? The leap from one to the other doesn't make any sense.
    This is a direct or indirect effect of the housing bubble, not because people weren't being paid sufficiently by their employers and therefore did not have enough money to buy things.

  7. #37
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,874

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    On the contrary, I think your analysis assumes that workers are wholly dependent on their employers, that employers do not have to compete for workers, and that people won't get what they want simply because it doesn't happen overnight.
    Why do you think that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    This is a direct it indirect effect of the housing bubble, not because people weren't being paid sufficiently by their employers and therefore did not have enough money to buy things.
    I don't understand your point.

  8. #38
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,961

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Not true. Workers usually must be hired and paid prior to the production of any product or service and indepently of whether sufficient demand exists to make a profit.

    and especially on a NEW product that the business has no idea on what the demand will actually be

    do you think Steve Jobs knew he would sell 100 million ipods when he first created them?

    hell....do you think he thought he could sell 20k of them?

    sometimes we dont know we need or want a product until it has been marketed.....

    well...employees had to design it, build it, market it, and sell it

    the product created the demand.....the demand didnt create the product or the jobs
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #39
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,760

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    This is one of those WOW just WOW moments. Could this leftist really be our next pres?

    "Appearing at a Boston rally for Democrat gubernatorial candidate Martha Coakley on Friday, Hillary Clinton told the crowd gathered at the Park Plaza Hotel not to listen to anybody who says that “businesses create jobs.”

    “Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs,” Clinton said.

    Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'
    Hillary's absolutely right: demand creates jobs; businesses and corporations have been sending those jobs overseas.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs'

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Hillary's absolutely right: demand creates jobs; businesses and corporations have been sending those jobs overseas.
    Demand is an emotion...emotions cannot create anything.

    Only a human can create jobs.

    Hilary is wrong...and her context is irrelevant; her statement is factually impossible.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •