Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 87

Thread: McCain says he would support Rand Paul for President

  1. #71
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Interesting article. I kind of had a "no ****" moment though:

    Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) told The New Yorker he would support Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) for president if Paul is the Republican nominee.

    I'm going to guess that McCain will support whoever is the Republican nominee. It wasn't really an endorsement for "Rand Paul for President in 2016" which is what I expected to see when I opened the Hill article.
    This makes more sense. Paul supports deep cuts in military spending. Doesn't make sense that McCain would support him over some other GOP candidates. Unless my assumption is incorrect that McCain supports a well funded military.

  2. #72
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    This makes more sense. Paul supports deep cuts in military spending. Doesn't make sense that McCain would support him over some other GOP candidates. Unless my assumption is incorrect that McCain supports a well funded military.
    No, I think your assumption is spot on. McCain absolutely supports as well funded military.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #73
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,887

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    This makes more sense. Paul supports deep cuts in military spending. Doesn't make sense that McCain would support him over some other GOP candidates. Unless my assumption is incorrect that McCain supports a well funded military.
    IF Paul wins the nomination, McCain will support him. Does anyone here really think that Paul has a chance in hades that the old establishment will let him win, or will they nominate another stuffy shirt instead? I don't know, but those young guys with all their ideas and idealism seem to be more of a threat to the ways of old than they could handle.
    What is for sure is that, to the average republican voter, it won't matter who the nominee will be.

  4. #74
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    IF Paul wins the nomination, McCain will support him. Does anyone here really think that Paul has a chance in hades that the old establishment will let him win, or will they nominate another stuffy shirt instead? I don't know, but those young guys with all their ideas and idealism seem to be more of a threat to the ways of old than they could handle.
    What is for sure is that, to the average republican voter, it won't matter who the nominee will be.
    I don't. Paul will not be the GOP nominee in 2016 or anytime in the near future.

    The 2016 nominee will be a governor, IMO.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #75
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    The fact that you think left libertarianism requires massive government overreach demonstrates ignorance of the ideology. Please do the research.
    I'm not too interested in reading the libertarian for dummies book. high school and college was a long, long time ago.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I'm not too interested in reading the libertarian for dummies book. high school and college was a long, long time ago.
    You are never too old to learn real history.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #77
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    You are never too old to learn real history.
    Your ideology is not one I need to study or learn,but I strongly suggest you do.

    At it's core, it must focus on social equality over individual liberty. In a nutshell, that is what differentiates left and right libertarianism. you can hide behind all the labels you want, but your blend of "libertarianism" requires a more centralized and powerful government entity to implement the previously stated goal.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Your ideology is not one I need to study or learn,but I strongly suggest you do.

    At it's core, it must focus on social equality over individual liberty. In a nutshell, that is what differentiates left and right libertarianism. you can hide behind all the labels you want, but your blend of "libertarianism" requires a more centralized and powerful government entity to implement the previously stated goal.

    Interesting how you claim I need to read up on left libertarianism yet you refuse to do so yourself. Enjoy wallowing in your own ignorance.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  9. #79
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Interesting how you claim I need to read up on left libertarianism yet you refuse to do so yourself. Enjoy wallowing in your own ignorance.
    you act like this is some new concept. it isn't. it's old and tired, and rooted in class warfare jealousy.

    "boohoo, the rich exploit the poor, and we need to create laws to prevent that."

    now enough of your thread derailment. I explained my lean and my username which spawned this diversion.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: McCain Endorses Rand Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you act like this is some new concept.
    Umm, no. I never said libertarianism was a new concept.


    it isn't. it's old and tired, and rooted in class warfare jealousy.
    No, its rooted in the recognition of State privilege.


    "boohoo, the rich exploit the poor, and we need to create laws to prevent that."
    Most left libertarians seek a more free and less hierarchical society through voluntary action, not State interventionism.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •