Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants, Sa

  1. #51
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Again, your experiences are not universal.
    That is correct. They are merely standard.

    And I don't get why you're saying I'm making "an emotion-based case built on hyperbole." Please, explain.
    This is an emotion-based argument:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango
    A man comes home one day from working out in the fields to discover that his home is leveled and that his family is dead.
    so is this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango
    Children in targeted areas are afraid of the blue sky and exhibit PTSD symptoms
    so is this:

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern
    Granny's walking down the street, BOOM, smoking crater with grandma's mangled bloody guts splayed out everywhere. Which is brought to you happily by the United States, "When we murder you, we prefer to do it in the most evil way possible!"
    They are all anecdotes pulled out of context in order to appeal to emotion - "eew, that's bad, that's icky, Gosh, I don't want that!!!" It's also hyperbolic, in that it suggests that that is the actual standard for the drone program, which such is in fact astronomically far from the truth.

  2. #52
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    He is suggesting that that is how we view the problem. You know, because the President is a racist
    He is a racist, but only on a national level to the extent it serves his social justice agenda.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #53
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    He is a racist, but only on a national level to the extent it serves his social justice agenda.
    well the necessary implication of jetboogie's argument is that he's racist against brown people on the other side of the world, so.... clearly you are wrong and the President hates brown people and loves white people. That's why he fired Eric Holder as soon as the Holder Justice Department decided that white people couldn't have their civil rights violated.

  4. #54
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well the necessary implication of jetboogie's argument is that he's racist against brown people on the other side of the world, so.... clearly you are wrong and the President hates brown people and loves white people. That's why he fired Eric Holder as soon as the Holder Justice Department decided that white people couldn't have their civil rights violated.
    Or maybe he thinks 'we' is Canada.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #55
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Or maybe he thinks 'we' is Canada.
    Good point, good point... it's well known what bigots Canadians are.

  6. #56
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Good point, good point... it's well known what bigots Canadians are.
    I'm sure there is at least a handful.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The correct number is 42% of those identified were "militants". There is no way of knowing the status of those not identified.
    I wonder how may civilians were killed in Iraq by our "shock and awe" attacks before the invasion? The best estimates for the Iraq war are over 100,000 civilians including women and children killed. Drones are far more humane than invasion.
    Very early in the Iraq invasion, I watched on live TV the leveling of a seven story apartment building, in a district where people had been told by us to remain indoors, because it was believed Saddam Hussein was in a ground floor restaurant.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Is there a point anywhere in our future?
    Yes, sorry.

    The things I've said thus far go to show that we created the propaganda to radicalize the mujahideen so that they'd wage jihad against the Soviets, of which, they did, and then that U.S. created propaganda blew up in our faces. That's all, sorry for dragging this out.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is correct. They are merely standard.



    This is an emotion-based argument:



    so is this:



    so is this:



    They are all anecdotes pulled out of context in order to appeal to emotion - "eew, that's bad, that's icky, Gosh, I don't want that!!!" It's also hyperbolic, in that it suggests that that is the actual standard for the drone program, which such is in fact astronomically far from the truth.
    Oh. So humanist reactions are emotion-based arguments? I forgot, the people on the ground at the business end of drone strikes are supposed to all be cold-hearted geopolitical Einsteins, "The U.S. is doing what it must to safeguard its interests." I don't know why you're denying that our drones and drone strikes have ****ed innocents up. I already told you that drones are effective, and I'll go even further: they should not be eliminated. But I'm not going to sit here and deny that 1) it has an awfully impact on innocents, particularly children, 2) civilians get blown up & 3) because of 1 & 2 more-and-more people are being recruited because they are susceptible to being radicalized.

  10. #60
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Only 12% of People Killed in US Drone Strikes in Pakistan Identified as Militants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Oh. So humanist reactions are emotion-based arguments?
    Yes. BUT LOOK AT THIS PICTURE OF A SAD CHILD!!! is indeed a emotion-based argument.

    I forgot, the people on the ground at the business end of drone strikes are supposed to all be cold-hearted geopolitical Einsteins,
    This, also, is an emotional argument. Why should we craft national foreign policy based on the preferences or emotions of those on the business end of our targeting processes as opposed to our own ability to exercise reason?

    The U.S. is doing what it must to safeguard its interests. I don't know why you're denying that our drones and drone strikes have ****ed innocents up.
    I don't. I simply point out that the stats given by the OP and the imagery presented by you are inaccurate representations of the drone strike program.

    I already told you that drones are effective, and I'll go even further: they should not be eliminated. But I'm not going to sit here and deny that 1) it has an awfully impact on innocents, particularly children
    Sure, and it's impact is less than those of the alternatives, making drones (in many cases) the more humane option.

    2) civilians get blown up
    Rarely, but yes. Just as civilians die in all military operations, especially against an enemy that chooses to use a civilian populace as cover and concealment.

    & 3) because of 1 & 2 more-and-more people are being recruited because they are susceptible to being radicalized.
    That's an interesting claim. Can you demonstrate that we are creating more jihadists than we are killing with the drone program?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •