Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

  1. #51
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Don't get carried away.... most of the contested races are in red states that were won by Dems in their sweep in 2008. This should be a walk in the park for an out of power party, in an off-year election. The cons will enjoy modest gains in the house (because those districts are so gerrymandered, there aren't that many competitive districts) and will likely, but not assuredly, have a change of control in the Senate, that they will struggle to achieve.

    It will be a nice night for the Cons, but far, far, far short of the biggest sweep in history.

    BTW... the same wind at that back climate that will flip the Senate in 2014, will be wind at the back for the other guys, so the Senate will flip back in 2016. Enjoy it while you can.
    Agreed. Voters are frustrated and they are going to lash out at the party in power. And like you said, most of the races are close and the races where republicans are leading are in Red states anyway.

    I find it comical that most of the republicans talking points are not about what they can bring to the table, but how Obama is the scourge of the earth.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Don't get carried away.... most of the contested races are in red states that were won by Dems in their sweep in 2008. This should be a walk in the park for an out of power party, in an off-year election. The cons will enjoy modest gains in the house (because those districts are so gerrymandered, there aren't that many competitive districts) and will likely, but not assuredly, have a change of control in the Senate, that they will struggle to achieve.

    It will be a nice night for the Cons, but far, far, far short of the biggest sweep in history.

    BTW... the same wind at that back climate that will flip the Senate in 2014, will be wind at the back for the other guys, so the Senate will flip back in 2016. Enjoy it while you can.
    That all depends on whether or not the Republicans step up and start being conservative. If the continue to be lib lite you are probably right.

  3. #53
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,129

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    That all depends on whether or not the Republicans step up and start being conservative. If the continue to be lib lite you are probably right.
    Yes, you just go an run those real conservative candidates in Blue states in 2016 and we will see how that works out.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Yes, you just go an run those real conservative candidates in Blue states in 2016 and we will see how that works out.
    Conservative policies work every time they are implemented and when the general brainwashed by the media public gets an opportunity to see that people shift. Reagan proved that.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,842

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Conservative policies work every time they are implemented and when the general brainwashed by the media public gets an opportunity to see that people shift. Reagan proved that.
    Reagan was a big spending, budget busting, tax increasing, deficit exploding fiscal disaster. I know he's been reformed by the propaganda and short memories, but you really can't point to his record for evidence of "real" conservative policies, especially on the budget. ERTA 81 was a giant tax cut that he spent the next 7 years slowly undoing.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Reagan was a big spending, budget busting, tax increasing, deficit exploding fiscal disaster. I know he's been reformed by the propaganda and short memories, but you really can't point to his record for evidence of "real" conservative policies, especially on the budget. ERTA 81 was a giant tax cut that he spent the next 7 years slowly undoing.
    Reagan made a deal with the dem congress that they reneged on and Reagan gets the blame. His spending on our military broke the back of the Soviet Union though and was money well spent. For the next 20 years we did great with the peace dividend he left us.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Reagan made a deal with the dem congress that they reneged on and Reagan gets the blame. His spending on our military broke the back of the Soviet Union though and was money well spent. For the next 20 years we did great with the peace dividend he left us.
    had there been no Reagan, there would be no US right now.

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,842

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Reagan made a deal with the dem congress that they reneged on and Reagan gets the blame. His spending on our military broke the back of the Soviet Union though and was money well spent. For the next 20 years we did great with the peace dividend he left us.
    Not really. Between 1982 and 1989, Reagan requested roughly $5 billion MORE in spending than Congress enacted, with budget deficits totalling about $1,500 billion during that time. He more or less got the spending levels he wanted, as reflected in his budget requests (as opposed to public rhetoric).

    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-CDO...c18-1-12-4.pdf

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,842

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    had there been no Reagan, there would be no US right now.
    Say what?

    I see the Canonization of St. Ronnie of Reagan is well underway!

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Trouble Looms for Obama, Democrats with Election Day 2014 Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Say if I agree with your argument. How would the senate changing over to republican going to change that? You guys don't have the balls to impeach Obama. And if you are stupid enough to do so like back in the 90s then you will lose everything.
    I'm not sure that the Republicans have the balls or not. Right now the Repubs do not have the votes. A landslide victory might change that.

    However, the Repubs still might not have the balls.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •