Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 71

Thread: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Interesting. I don't know how I feel about that. The reporter in the OP regrets killing the story.
    I'm aware of that and without the exact arguments that were made, it's difficult for me to make any kind of judgment on the merits of the request and decision. It may or may not have been reasonable. I'm sure at some point we'll learn more.

  2. #52
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I'm aware of that and without the exact arguments that were made, it's difficult for me to make any kind of judgment on the merits of the request and decision. It may or may not have been reasonable. I'm sure at some point we'll learn more.
    That pretty much sums it up.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    If the story actually did endanger national security then the state was right to put pressure on them to kill it, hell if this was Russia or some other authoritarian state it wouldn't have been a request and Risen would probably be 6 feet under.
    Following a tragic car accident.

  4. #54
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The point is - Bush, bad man - very bad man
    No, that is not the point.

    The point is that the media serves at the pleasure of the government. The point is that in many cases, the media facilitates and covers up the crimes of the government.

    Just as Risen pointed out in his story, that NSA illegal wire-tapping was done in large part through the surreptitious efforts of AT & Treason and other telecoms.

    It was those efforts that led to FISA II and its grant of immunity to those telecoms for having done the government's dirty work.

    The point is that NYT was asked by Rice to suppress the truth, and it did. Are all Canadians that obtuse?

  5. #55
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    No, that is not the point.

    The point is that the media serves at the pleasure of the government. The point is that in many cases, the media facilitates and covers up the crimes of the government.

    Just as Risen pointed out in his story, that NSA illegal wire-tapping was done in large part through the surreptitious efforts of AT & Treason and other telecoms.

    It was those efforts that led to FISA II and its grant of immunity to those telecoms for having done the government's dirty work.

    The point is that NYT was asked by Rice to suppress the truth, and it did. Are all Canadians that obtuse?
    Yes, all Canadians are obtuse
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #56
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Yes, all Canadians are obtuse
    Not Naomi Klein. Not Neill Young. Not quite a few others.

  7. #57
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Not Naomi Klein. Not Neill Young. Not quite a few others.
    Things are perfectly clear now. You champion Neil Young, whose drug addled brain and too many years in Southern California have caused him to believe that ISIS is far less a current problem than climate change. If Neil Young is your paradigm of Canadianna, I can see why you might consider all Canadians obtuse.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #58
    Educator Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    02-22-15 @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    677

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Rice was acting as National Security Adviser. If she worked to kill the story in order to protect sensitive sources and methods of classified information, I don't think she can be blamed for what she did. From the general description of the article, it seems that the story might have exposed the CIA's limitations. In turn, that could have allowed Iran to exploit that vulnerability.
    Agreed, people are quick to jump to conclusions without the full context and facts as to what and why.
    Hmmm, come to think of it, our dear president does the exact same thing.


    I would like to know everything before I judge any person.

  9. #59
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Things are perfectly clear now. You champion Neil Young, whose drug addled brain and too many years in Southern California have caused him to believe that ISIS is far less a current problem than climate change. If Neil Young is your paradigm of Canadianna, I can see why you might consider all Canadians obtuse.
    Actually John, it was a joke in the first place, but one inspired NOT by Neil Young or Naomi Klein, but rather by your (apparent) failure to understand the significance of the thread topic, the significance of a Cabinet level officer asking a newspaper to NOT print a story that was too truthful and uncomfortable for the White House.

    Get it now?

  10. #60
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,145

    Re: Condoleezza Rice named as killer of New York Times’ story on CIA

    i missed it
    what did condi do wrong
    or is the thread about the failure of the press to move forward with the story
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •