Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,746

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Maybe you should read my post again, I said the same ID that is required for all of those things(DL, ID or passport) is also acceptable for voting. So please explain how they are getting by fine without doing any of those activities
    And maybe you should read my response again. NO ONE DISPUTES that roughly 600,000 registered Texas voters ARE GETTING BY FINE without the very narrow list of required PHOTO IDs.

    To be complete, the exact figures are estimates, but whether it's 300,000 or 600,000, no one disputes the number without Photo ID is very large. Every state that has estimated the number comes up with figures in the multi-hundred thousand registered voter range.

    But to answer your irrelevant sociological question, many poor people don't have cars or drive. Poor people don't travel by air, and they sure as hell don't travel abroad. Many poor people don't have bank accounts. Many people rich or poor do not drink and so need no ID for alcohol. Or they get alcohol from the local store where the owner knows them and doesn't comply with the requirements to check ID.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,554

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    Supreme Court just stayed lower court' s ruling freezing Wisconsin's law.

    US Supreme Court blocks Wisconsin voter ID law - The Washington Post
    So? Thats common to freeze a law until the legal challenges are finished, in the end the laws will get upheld

  3. #23
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,244

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law, Calling It A 'Poll Tax'

    This is great news !!!!! Even the Texas judge smelled BS on this law.


    Frikin low life Democrat Judge . Low life Politic party

    Seriously, this is the ONLY way they can have a chance to win elections.

    They know they CAN'T run on their policies, ideas or record.

    They have to try and undercut a law thats been deemed Constitutional by the Supreme court.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,554

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    And maybe you should read my response again. NO ONE DISPUTES that roughly 600,000 registered Texas voters ARE GETTING BY FINE without the very narrow list of required PHOTO IDs.

    To be complete, the exact figures are estimates, but whether it's 300,000 or 600,000, no one disputes the number without Photo ID is very large. Every state that has estimated the number comes up with figures in the multi-hundred thousand registered voter range.

    But to answer your irrelevant sociological question, many poor people don't have cars or drive. Poor people don't travel by air, and they sure as hell don't travel abroad. Many poor people don't have bank accounts. Many people rich or poor do not drink and so need no ID for alcohol. Or they get alcohol from the local store where the owner knows them and doesn't comply with the requirements to check ID.
    How exactly is the list narrow? It covers all common forms of photo ID. Poor people do have cars especially in Texas, they do travel I know plenty of poor mexicans that travel to mexico at least once a year to visit relatives, even if you dont have a bank account you still have to have an ID to cash your pay check, and not all people drink but 2/3rds do and you still need ID for it.

  5. #25
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I never said that, but it's nice that you made those ugly sentiments up and then attributed them to me!! Are you familiar with the term, Projection?

    And the bolded part just isn't true. The people who are registered and do not have the acceptable forms of ID obviously DO NOT NEED the required forms of photo ID except to vote. If they had to have the required ID, they'd have it. The rules require 600,000 properly registered Texans to spend money on an ID they do not otherwise need. Hence, the "poll tax" nature of the law.
    This is the lamest argument. What kind of person does not have an id. This is yet another invasion of liberalism in our courts. Anything that allows libs to cheat

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,746

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    How exactly is the list narrow? It covers all common forms of photo ID. Poor people do have cars especially in Texas, they do travel I know plenty of poor mexicans that travel to mexico at least once a year to visit relatives, even if you dont have a bank account you still have to have an ID to cash your pay check, and not all people drink but 2/3rds do and you still need ID for it.
    I'm not sure how to make it clearer. Read the bolded and large text again and again until the point sinks in. No one disputes that the rules will require hundreds of thousands of registered Texas voters to obtain an ID they do not otherwise need in their daily lives.

    Are you trying to argue that EVERY citizen eligible to vote in Texas has one of the required forms of ID? Surely not. So what is your point? That there might be some but that it can't be significant, a few hundred, or thousands, but not 600,000? Well, what number do you think is reasonable and based on what evidence is your guess a better estimate than figures that no one (in the big picture) disputes - several hundred thousand? I'm really not sure what you're trying to prove with this line of questions.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,746

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    This is the lamest argument. What kind of person does not have an id. This is yet another invasion of liberalism in our courts. Anything that allows libs to cheat
    What is your EVIDENCE that 600,000 do have the required ID?

    Obviously you have none, so it's odd that a claim vetted by a court, consistent with similar estimates in many other states, is "lame" but your assertions backed by nothing are legitimate.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    It is beyond pathetic that we've decided that our third-world Americans are too stupid and lazy to provide proof of who they are before voting.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,746

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    It is beyond pathetic that we've decided that our third-world Americans are too stupid and lazy to provide proof of who they are before voting.
    That's not actually what we've decided. But "third world Americans" is a nice touch!

  10. #30
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Frikin low life Democrat Judge . Low life Politic party

    Seriously, this is the ONLY way they can have a chance to win elections.

    They know they CAN'T run on their policies, ideas or record.

    They have to try and undercut a law thats been deemed Constitutional by the Supreme court.
    No. Passing this Bull**** law is the ONLY way republicans can have a chance to win elections.




    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •