Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother[W:26]

  1. #1
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,963

    Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother[W:26]

    Police shoot dead unarmed man in New York

    Poor guy, he attempted to help a mother and her children who were under attack by a knife wielding man and he is the one who gets shot and killed.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    Yahoo news.

    Poorly written article (which is why I usually don't read yahoo news) - there has to be more to this story.

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    Yahoo news.

    Poorly written article (which is why I usually don't read yahoo news) - there has to be more to this story.
    I agree that the OP link sucks. Here are more links concerning the event:

    Rafael Laureano 'inadvertently' killed by police during confrontation, NYPD says - Newsday

    Officials: Stabbing Victim In Brooklyn Domestic Incident Died Of Accidental Police Gunshot « CBS New York
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    Thanks for posting those - I just don't believe in saying, "Let's crucify these 'dirty' cops" until all the facts are in. There are just too many inconsistencies - and I'm just not sure right now if the cops are lying OR if it's just sloppy reporting. I mean, I have a few questions myself at this point:

    1) Why did the cops (according to one of your articles) initially say that the innocent man was stabbed (rather than shot), then changed their story?

    2) Why didn't the innocent man drop the knife, when ordered?

    3) Why did the innocent man "barge into the apartment," after the cops tried to stop him?

    4) Why did the medical examiner say he was shot in the back, when the cops initially said he turned and came at them with the knife (then they shot him - and I would assume that would mean he was shot in front)?

    So you see, I would have questions for the cops, yes - but I will reserve judgment until all the facts are in and let IA do their job. Too many inconsistencies right now and I'm just not sure what that means.
    Last edited by Luke Skywalker; 10-03-14 at 06:56 AM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    my bad - scratch question #'s 2 and 4 above - sorry, folks, been a long night (lol).
    Last edited by Luke Skywalker; 10-03-14 at 07:32 AM.

  6. #6
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    1) Why did the cops (according to one of your articles) initially say that the innocent man was stabbed (rather than shot), then changed their story?

    2) Why didn't the innocent man drop the knife, when ordered?

    3) Why did the innocent man "barge into the apartment," after the cops tried to stop him?

    4) Why did the medical examiner say he was shot in the back, when the cops initially said he turned and came at them with the knife (then they shot him - and I would assume that would mean he was shot in front)?
    I think you're misreading the articles. Neither are brilliantly written as descriptions of the sequence of events.

    1) It seems he was both stabbed (by the attacker) and shot (by the police in error). It isn't clear what was officially announced and what was assumed by reporters based on limited information and off-the-record comments but in my experience, misreporting of this nature is more often a result of the latter.

    2) The innocent man never had the knife. The attacker had the knife and the innocent man fought with him. The police ordered the attacker to drop the knife.

    3) Human emotion. His partner was being threatened by her ex with a knife. It doesn't sound like it was a sensible thing to do in the circumstances but people don't do sensible things in these kinds of circumstances.

    4) I think you've already picked up that you've mixed up the attacker and the innocent man here.

    In itself it sounds like an all too common domestic dispute. That it got to the point that the police felt the need to shoot the attacker is unfortunate. That it led to one of the victims getting shot and killed is tragic. As things stand there isn't much more we're in a position to say about the incident.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    I think you're misreading the articles. Neither are brilliantly written as descriptions of the sequence of events.

    1) It seems he was both stabbed (by the attacker) and shot (by the police in error). It isn't clear what was officially announced and what was assumed by reporters based on limited information and off-the-record comments but in my experience, misreporting of this nature is more often a result of the latter.

    2) The innocent man never had the knife. The attacker had the knife and the innocent man fought with him. The police ordered the attacker to drop the knife.

    3) Human emotion. His partner was being threatened by her ex with a knife. It doesn't sound like it was a sensible thing to do in the circumstances but people don't do sensible things in these kinds of circumstances.

    4) I think you've already picked up that you've mixed up the attacker and the innocent man here.

    In itself it sounds like an all too common domestic dispute. That it got to the point that the police felt the need to shoot the attacker is unfortunate. That it led to one of the victims getting shot and killed is tragic. As things stand there isn't much more we're in a position to say about the incident.
    Absolutely, I initially misread what took place - try reading a confusing story like this sometime on a complete lack of sleep (been up all night), lol. I agree with the rest of your post, which is why I gave it a nod.

    Now, if you will excuse me, I will say good night (or good day, to be more specific) - sleep beckons me.

  8. #8
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    This thread is an excellent example of why eyewitness accounts aren't always the best evidence.

    Different people see and remember different things.

    It's not that they're lying, they just don't remember exactly what happened.

    There are games based on this.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 10-03-14 at 08:39 AM.

  9. #9
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    It's likely the cops saw a chance to kill someone and get away with it and so they took the shot.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Police Shoot Unarmed Man Who Tried To Help Mother

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    It's likely the cops saw a chance to kill someone and get away with it and so they took the shot.
    sounds like a man was actively trying to stab people and got himself shot.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •