Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 122

Thread: We are now bombing in Syria.

  1. #101
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well, if you get attacked for it, apparently somebody believed so.
    That's Michael Dunn logic right there. "I don't like how he acted towards me, so I have the right to attack him!"

    By the way, you never did give a straight answer as to whether the OPEC embargo would justify an invasion of the Middle East.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Sanctions are an act of war? I was unaware that the US is obligated to trade with any country.
    Crippling a countries economy and in the process harming it's people by inhibiting trade is economic warfare. Furthermore, to stop trade with a country the US has to stop private individuals from selling their product in that country and is therefore a violation of human rights as it violates the right to commerce.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    That's Michael Dunn logic right there. "I don't like how he acted towards me, so I have the right to attack him!"

    By the way, you never did give a straight answer as to whether the OPEC embargo would justify an invasion of the Middle East.
    Would you sit on the sidelines and do nothing if another country was crippling your economy with economic sanctions?

  4. #104
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Would you sit on the sidelines and do nothing if another country was crippling your economy with economic sanctions?
    I would realize that the root cause of the sanctions was my country's aggressive behavior towards its neighbors, and would work to end that before anything else. Just bombing the other country's naval harbor would not solve the problem.
    Last edited by MadLib; 10-16-14 at 06:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I would realize that the root cause of the sanctions was my country's aggressive behavior towards my neighbors, and would work to end that before anything else. Just bombing the other country's naval harbor would not solve the problem.
    Well, I would consider it an act of war and bomb the harbor. I would not give in to the will of another country because they decided to become aggressive towards me, but instead I would become aggressive back by attacking them where it hurts the most.

  6. #106
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Crippling a countries economy and in the process harming it's people by inhibiting trade is economic warfare.
    This is a justification for what amounts to armed robbery. "You will engage in trade with me or I will attack you and kill your people." It's nonsensical
    Furthermore, to stop trade with a country the US has to stop private individuals from selling their product in that country and is therefore a violation of human rights as it violates the right to commerce.
    And that's not relevant in the slightest. Whether the sanctions were a violation of the rights of Americans, or were even justified in the first place, does not pertain to a discussion of whether or not Japan had the right to attack the United States in response.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #107
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well, I would consider it an act of war and bomb the harbor. I would not give in to the will of another country because they decided to become aggressive towards me, but instead I would become aggressive back by attacking them where it hurts the most.
    Well, you've just established your government as megalomaniacal and psychopathic, believing it can do whatever it wants to anyone but that others have no right to interfere or even do anything in response. Thanks for helping to demonstrate why Japan had to be fought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    This is a justification for what amounts to armed robbery. "You will engage in trade with me or I will attack you and kill your people." It's nonsensical

    And that's not relevant in the slightest. Whether the sanctions were a violation of the rights of Americans, or were even justified in the first place, does not pertain to a discussion of whether or not Japan had the right to attack the United States in response.
    Again, sanctions affect all trade, not just trade the US government does. Stopping my citizens from trading or benefiting from trade with people from your country is a violation of human rights and is a reason to declare war. My people have the right to free trade and any barring of the practice of that right by another government not only harms my economy, but my peoples ability to improve their lives. I see no reason to tolerate such aggression towards my people.

    Why should I just give in to the demands of another country to change my behavior? If I find it in my interest to wage war against China, that is what I will do and if you act aggressively towards me over the issue I will attack you too.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The last count I heard was 258 sorties. We aint blastin' a damn thing.
    I don't think you're being fair to President Pinprick. I heard that at least 100 of those sorties have been by armed aircraft, a few of them carrying as much as two 500-lb. bombs. I also heard they have either destroyed or damaged two mortars, one artillery piece, one T-72 tank, two machine guns, more than one thousand rounds of rifle ammunition, at least ten individuals, one large radio antenna, and at least three donkeys.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: We are now bombing in Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Well, you've just established your government as megalomaniacal and psychopathic, believing it can do whatever it wants to anyone but that others have no right to interfere or even do anything in response. Thanks for helping to demonstrate why Japan had to be fought.
    If you are going to go around coercing people to do your will you have to expect they won't take kindly to it. They might attack you instead of doing what you want or they might do what you want, but attack you later for what you did to them.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •