Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Poll says we want change

  1. #11
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    Americans are tired of the political establishment and want change, according to an AOL News poll.

    When given the choice of Democrat Hillary Clinton, Republican Mitt Romney or "I hope someone else runs," an overwhelming majority of people opted for the devil they don't know.

    More than 51,000 people voted as of Tuesday morning, and 61 percent of them are against either of the presumptive frontrunners in the 2016 presidential election.

    A meager 26 percent said "Hillary all the way" and only 13 percent think "Mitt Romney is the man with the plan."

    The AOL News poll ran from Monday afternoon until Tuesday morning.


    It came on the heels of the former first lady and secretary of state appearing in Iowa over the weekend and only hours after a major Romney donor told Fox Business that he expects the former Massachusetts governor to take one more shot at the White House.

    Readers also voiced their opinions in over 2,600 comments: opinions were sharply divided.

    "I think anyone would be better than Hillary Clinton, one who can not be trusted, believed or depended upon to do the right thing for the country instead of what's good for Hillary," wrote Betty Hensley.

    Rick Pollock, responding to Hensley's anti-Clinton comments, wrote: "Hillary's agenda is very pro women. Shame on you."

    Hensley's comment was most "liked" on Facebook by AOL readers.

    "I would not vote for Romney as dog catcher," said Robert Perez. "He's out touch [sic]."

    That comment was echoed by many who griped that the former Bain Capital chairman's excessive wealth is a reason why he would not be a good leader. Others saw his personal success as the exact attribute one looks for in a leader.

    AOL.com Article - Anyone but Hillary or Romney: Americans want real change in 2016 presidential election

    fairly large poll

    51k respondents

    not good news for Clinton or Romney followers
    The problem is the majority of us have no to little say in who runs. The Republican and Democratic party will decide whom they will run. Since when has either party ever listened to the people? Then too, who does either party have that the people would want? According to Gallup, 26% of the electorate identify with the Democratic Party and a smaller percentage are registered Democrats who vote in their primaries and chose their nominee. The Republican party has 25% of the electorate and the same applies to them. Less then 10% of eligible voters will vote in the presidential primaries, those 10% will narrow the field down to two which you and I will have to choose from.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    Americans are tired of the political establishment and want change, according to an AOL News poll.

    When given the choice of Democrat Hillary Clinton, Republican Mitt Romney or "I hope someone else runs," an overwhelming majority of people opted for the devil they don't know.

    More than 51,000 people voted as of Tuesday morning, and 61 percent of them are against either of the presumptive frontrunners in the 2016 presidential election.

    A meager 26 percent said "Hillary all the way" and only 13 percent think "Mitt Romney is the man with the plan."

    The AOL News poll ran from Monday afternoon until Tuesday morning.


    It came on the heels of the former first lady and secretary of state appearing in Iowa over the weekend and only hours after a major Romney donor told Fox Business that he expects the former Massachusetts governor to take one more shot at the White House.

    Readers also voiced their opinions in over 2,600 comments: opinions were sharply divided.

    "I think anyone would be better than Hillary Clinton, one who can not be trusted, believed or depended upon to do the right thing for the country instead of what's good for Hillary," wrote Betty Hensley.

    Rick Pollock, responding to Hensley's anti-Clinton comments, wrote: "Hillary's agenda is very pro women. Shame on you."

    Hensley's comment was most "liked" on Facebook by AOL readers.

    "I would not vote for Romney as dog catcher," said Robert Perez. "He's out touch [sic]."

    That comment was echoed by many who griped that the former Bain Capital chairman's excessive wealth is a reason why he would not be a good leader. Others saw his personal success as the exact attribute one looks for in a leader.

    AOL.com Article - Anyone but Hillary or Romney: Americans want real change in 2016 presidential election

    fairly large poll

    51k respondents

    not good news for Clinton or Romney followers
    When Americans start voting for change during elections rather than AOL polls we may get it. I can predict right now that Romney and Hilary (or whoever gets the D and R nominations) will combine for 95% of the popular vote.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #13
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: Poll says we want change

    When I first read the thread title, I thought this had been bumped from 2007

  4. #14
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The problem is the majority of us have no to little say in who runs. The Republican and Democratic party will decide whom they will run. Since when has either party ever listened to the people? Then too, who does either party have that the people would want? According to Gallup, 26% of the electorate identify with the Democratic Party and a smaller percentage are registered Democrats who vote in their primaries and chose their nominee. The Republican party has 25% of the electorate and the same applies to them. Less then 10% of eligible voters will vote in the presidential primaries, those 10% will narrow the field down to two which you and I will have to choose from.
    That's the problem in a nutshell. Even here in NH where we actually have a chance to vote for all of the people who run (not just whatever is left over by the time the primaries get to your state) and it seems we still end up with whoever the "machine" is pushing.

    People love to say we need to replace all the politicians and so on, but come general election day, you know 1 of the 2 will win, so even if you don't care for either one, you often times end up picking the lesser of 2 evils (as I did in 2008 when I voted for McCain).

    Nothing is going to change. Am I bad for saying that?

  5. #15
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's the problem in a nutshell. Even here in NH where we actually have a chance to vote for all of the people who run (not just whatever is left over by the time the primaries get to your state) and it seems we still end up with whoever the "machine" is pushing.

    People love to say we need to replace all the politicians and so on, but come general election day, you know 1 of the 2 will win, so even if you don't care for either one, you often times end up picking the lesser of 2 evils (as I did in 2008 when I voted for McCain).

    Nothing is going to change. Am I bad for saying that?
    No you're not bad. You may be cynical, but you're not bad. You may be brutally honest and in touch with political reality in the US, but you're not bad.

  6. #16
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    " Poll says we want change"

    Elections say "we like things just as they are"
    Ain't that the truth! Except for Obama sort of.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Poll says we want change

    As long as this country remains "romantically" tied to the two-party system we currently have, nothing will change.

  8. #18
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    As long as this country remains "romantically" tied to the two-party system we currently have, nothing will change.
    The two party system has nothing to do with romance. It's the inevitable result of a winner takes all electoral system.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #19
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's the problem in a nutshell. Even here in NH where we actually have a chance to vote for all of the people who run (not just whatever is left over by the time the primaries get to your state) and it seems we still end up with whoever the "machine" is pushing.

    People love to say we need to replace all the politicians and so on, but come general election day, you know 1 of the 2 will win, so even if you don't care for either one, you often times end up picking the lesser of 2 evils (as I did in 2008 when I voted for McCain).

    Nothing is going to change. Am I bad for saying that?
    No you are not. I have taken a different route, although it really means nothing. When I do not like the choices in November, I vote third party. The lesser of two evils is still evil, the least worst candidate is still a bad candidate. So in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections it has been third party.

    I think until more people stop voting for the lesser of two evils we will continue to have that choice. But most independents and undecideds buy into the propaganda from both parties that a vote for a third party or independent candidate is a wasted vote, they can't win. I firmly believe the only wasted vote is one cast for the lesser of two evils. You are not doing yourself or the country any favors by voting for evil regardless of the degree.

    Then there is the money aspect of it. Third Parties are overwhelmed by the money spent by the major parties. A billion dollars each in the last presidential election, Gary Johnson was in third place as far as money spent with 3 million. Quite long odds when one is outspent 2 billion to 3 million. Third party candidates will not get any of the lobbyist, corporate, wall street, special interests money. Their millions, tens of millions will go to buy or at least make the Republican and Democratic candidates owe them. So business as usual continues.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Poll says we want change

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The two party system has nothing to do with romance. It's the inevitable result of a winner takes all electoral system.
    Dems & Reps seem to have an almost "romantic" view of their own party. They wish and believe it to be something it's not, yet they refuse to see exactly what it is.

    They can't see the truth due to their blind "love" of what they think the party should stand for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •