Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

  1. #1
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Study: Leaky wells, not fracking, taint water - US News

    WASHINGTON (AP) The drilling procedure called fracking didn't cause much-publicized cases of tainted groundwater in areas of Pennsylvania and Texas, a new study finds. Instead, it blames the contamination on problems in pipes and seals in natural gas wells.

    After looking at dozens of cases of suspected contamination, the scientists focused on eight hydraulically fractured wells in those states, where they chemically linked the tainted water to the gas wells. They then used chemical analysis to figure out when in the process of gas extraction methane leaked into groundwater.

    "We found the evidence suggested that fracking was not to blame, that it was actually a well integrity issue," said Ohio State University geochemist Thomas Darrah, lead author of the study. He said those results are good news because that type of contamination problem is easier to fix and is more preventable.
    Another study finding fracking isn't to blame for tainted water that will be promptly ignored.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Study: Leaky wells, not fracking, taint water - US News



    Another study finding fracking isn't to blame for tainted water that will be promptly ignored.
    Meh. Nothing to see here. Move along. Fracking is evil and only propaganda supporting the view that it's evil is worth reading.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #3
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    This is actually pretty good news. Because the areas of concern can literally be engineered away.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    This is actually pretty good news. Because the areas of concern can literally be engineered away.
    Yes they can, however, the damage done already cannot. The one concern I see here is this statement from the OP:

    The problem of leaky wells is one the gas industry has known about for decades, Darrah said. That includes the pipes the gas flow through and the cement that encases the pipes, keeping it from escaping.
    So they have known about it, but have been negligent in fixing it. Not a good sign in my book there. And no, I am not against oil or gas drilling, but let's face facts that the industry is not policing itself very well.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes they can, however, the damage done already cannot. The one concern I see here is this statement from the OP:



    So they have known about it, but have been negligent in fixing it. Not a good sign in my book there. And no, I am not against oil or gas drilling, but let's face facts that the industry is not policing itself very well.
    I believe the second quote about leaky wells is that they know wells can leak, not that they've been been actively ignoring known well leaks.

    The article does state, however, that given that the fracking technique realizes quick results, drillers aren't taking the appropriate time to properly install wells, thus resulting in more leaky wells then there normally should be.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I believe the second quote about leaky wells is that they know wells can leak, not that they've been been actively ignoring known well leaks.

    The article does state, however, that given that the fracking technique realizes quick results, drillers aren't taking the appropriate time to properly install wells, thus resulting in more leaky wells then there normally should be.
    That to me is known neglegence. Now, like I said before I am not against drilling for oil or gas. I just don't think the companies should be left to their "honor" system to fix their problems. THIS is an area that the EPA is good for if used right IMO (which it isn't right now). Not to over-regulate but to oversee and to audit safety properly and not for some political agenda.

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes they can, however, the damage done already cannot. The one concern I see here is this statement from the OP:



    So they have known about it, but have been negligent in fixing it. Not a good sign in my book there. And no, I am not against oil or gas drilling, but let's face facts that the industry is not policing itself very well.
    Question: Were permits to re-enter the wells applied for and if so, how many were approved? How many of those wells are on government land, where NO permits are being issued.

    Drilling is a bigger bureacracy than most people think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: Tainted water in Pennsylvania, Texas from leaky gas wells, not fracking itself

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That to me is known neglegence. Now, like I said before I am not against drilling for oil or gas. I just don't think the companies should be left to their "honor" system to fix their problems. THIS is an area that the EPA is good for if used right IMO (which it isn't right now). Not to over-regulate but to oversee and to audit safety properly and not for some political agenda.
    The EPA can't do it's because it's being used as a political hammer to drive home a political agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •