Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 236

Thread: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

  1. #201
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    No, what I'm suggesting is our IDs are different than Canadian IDs.

    Crimes might be solved by looking for the criminal ID in Canada but our IDs hold no relevant information on if a crime was committed. Ours are pretty much limited to name, address, date of birth, a picture, and a brief physical description. I suppose they could have found out if she's an organ donor or was required to wear corrective lenses while driving but I'm just not sure what relevance any of that played in whether or not she was having sex on a public street. Since the only "investigating" they did was looking at an ID that, unlike yours, had no details of the crime then I think it's reasonable to say they were basically just harassing her.

    I could understand asking for her ID if it was actually pertinent to an investigation but this wasn't one of those times.
    Glad to hear you were on the scene and knew exactly what was going on and could instantly determine that the police had nothing to investigate. Too bad you don't work on 911 emergency hotlines so you could clairvoyantly determine police aren't needed.

    Now, back in the real world, the first thing police do when interviewing a witness or suspect is determine the identity of that person. It's really important for actually knowing whom it is you're talking to and also helps when follow up may be necessary. And lets remember, according to those filing the complaint, they knew who these two people were and likely informed the 911 operator of the names of the two people fornicating in public so the police were probably trying to ascertain if they were speaking with the right people. But hey, that wouldn't be important to you because you're an expert on police protocol.

    Bottom line, for me, I'm prepared to concede that a police officer has far more knowledge about how to conduct a police investigation than some snide know-it-all spouting off on the internet.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    No, what I'm suggesting is our IDs are different than Canadian IDs.

    Crimes might be solved by looking for the criminal ID in Canada but our IDs hold no relevant information on if a crime was committed. Ours are pretty much limited to name, address, date of birth, a picture, and a brief physical description. I suppose they could have found out if she's an organ donor or was required to wear corrective lenses while driving but I'm just not sure what relevance any of that played in whether or not she was having sex on a public street. Since the only "investigating" they did was looking at an ID that, unlike yours, had no details of the crime then I think it's reasonable to say they were basically just harassing her.

    I could understand asking for her ID if it was actually pertinent to an investigation but this wasn't one of those times.
    Properly identifying someone is a part of every investigation.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #203
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Don't bet the ranch on that. He's responding to an anonymous call. If he doesn't witness it himself he has zero evidence of anything. No evidence, no reasonably suspicion. No reasonable suspicion no justification to ask for ID or to make an arrest.
    And you're wrong. He has reasonable suspicion of a crime if he has a report, people matching those described, and a situation that appears to be what was described. He can investigate the potential "crime". Now, at that moment he would not have probable cause to arrest anyone for a crime, but absolutely does have "reasonable suspicion" of a crime. While investigating the potential crime however, if someone becomes uncooperative and decides to try to walk away, now a crime has occurred and that person can be arrested, very similar to what happened to the guy in St Paul, that came out a few weeks ago. You cannot walk away from a police officer who is conducting an investigation. Without more evidence that something is going on, then those involved would be free to be on their way.

    The major issue here is the people who insist on continuing to be uncooperative and refuse to identify themselves, then try to walk away from police trying to investigate. You cannot do that. Even the frickin ACLU says to show identification when asked by the police because it will save you a whole lot of grief, since many people obviously do not really know what rights they do and do not have.

    https://www.aclunc.org/our-work/know...hts-and-police
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #204
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    She didn't obstruct any investigation
    She cannot walk away while being detained. She was not free to go, and that was what prompted her being put into handcuffs.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #205
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    People in a nearby building saw the couple doing it. There are pics of Watts straddling her boyfriend. In the park. In daylight where people could and did see them. That kind of "public is affection" is unlawful.

  6. #206
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It would be funny if she and her lawyers REALLY made an issue out of this and got blown out even GREATER and as a result she landed both herself and her BF in jail for the indecent exposure allegations.
    They could be charged with "Engaging in or Soliciting Lewd Conduct in Public California Penal Code 647(a)", especially since someone actually asked them to stop doing it and they continued anyway.

    Lewd Acts in Public - California Penal Code 647(a) PC - Defense Lawyer

    She could also probably be charged with indecent exposure but that would be a harder one to prove, at least with the pics they have, since it would be most likely for exposing her breasts, not other parts.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #207
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    No, what I'm suggesting is our IDs are different than Canadian IDs.

    Crimes might be solved by looking for the criminal ID in Canada but our IDs hold no relevant information on if a crime was committed. Ours are pretty much limited to name, address, date of birth, a picture, and a brief physical description. I suppose they could have found out if she's an organ donor or was required to wear corrective lenses while driving but I'm just not sure what relevance any of that played in whether or not she was having sex on a public street. Since the only "investigating" they did was looking at an ID that, unlike yours, had no details of the crime then I think it's reasonable to say they were basically just harassing her.

    I could understand asking for her ID if it was actually pertinent to an investigation but this wasn't one of those times.
    You really do not understand how investigations work, even here in the US. Many times, investigations take a while, days, even weeks. So police need some contact information about suspects, witnesses, or those involved, including name and address at least, possibly phone number. Plus, it allows police to determine if the person might just have a warrant out on them for the same thing or maybe they are on probation or parole, which is something an officer cannot tell simply from looking at a person. This would give the officer information in itself, which then could in fact clear the person or at least alleviate suspicion. Those involved may not get arrested right away, because police may need some more evidence, but that doesn't mean that police don't have a right and duty to get information about potential suspects in a crime or potential crime to get back to later if more evidence comes out.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #208
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    She cannot walk away while being detained. She was not free to go, and that was what prompted her being put into handcuffs.
    As I said, she didn't obstruct the investigation
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #209
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    As I said, she didn't obstruct the investigation
    I saw later down, after I posted this that you said the same thing. Sorry. However, technically, that is why they stop people from leaving and can arrest them, for obstructing the investigation. It can be a charge put onto someone for simply trying to walk away from a lawful detainment. In fact, according to the police chief, she could be charged with delaying/obstruction just for not providing identification during a lawful investigation.

    Police chief defends officer in questioning of actress - Los Angeles Wave: News

    Beck said the actress' detention has generated “considerable discussion,” and he defended the officers’ right to ask for the actress’ ID, saying if there is “reasonable suspicion” that a crime was committed and a person refuses to produce identification, “they could be found guilty of delaying or obstructing a police investigation.
    (emphasis mine)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #210
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Daniele Watts says she was detained for ‘showing affection’

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I saw later down, after I posted this that you said the same thing. Sorry. However, technically, that is why they stop people from leaving and can arrest them, for obstructing the investigation. It can be a charge put onto someone for simply trying to walk away from a lawful detainment. In fact, according to the police chief, she could be charged with delaying/obstruction just for not providing identification during a lawful investigation.

    Police chief defends officer in questioning of actress - Los Angeles Wave: News


    (emphasis mine)
    She could be charged with anything the cops want but CA courts have ruled that not showing ID is not obstruction.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •