Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 540

Thread: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

  1. #521
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Was the statue offended? Has anyone bothered to ask the statue how it feels? Do you think that the statue will cope and learn to make it through the sexual assault?
    That's not what I'm arguing.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #522
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,540

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That's not what I'm arguing.
    The bottom line is this is the kind of dumb ass ****e that happens in third world Islamic countries. The yahoo's who are crying "offended" and those who are trying to hang this kid should be ashamed of themselves and need to get a hobby. There are all sorts of dumb ass laws that are still on the books that the don't get prosecuted because it's finally realized that they are dumb ass laws.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  3. #523
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I have no illusions about the first amendment being "bullet proof" as I'm well aware of exceptions to free speech. My problem with the definition of desecration, however, is that it can be applied so widely that essentially any instance of expression can live up the standard of the definition.
    And that's why we have courts to hash out the details and/or fairness of laws written by our legislators. The way I see this one is that it's a local issue and is a misdemeanor. I think they'll be able to sort this out at the local level and if not, there are always higher courts if someone wants to make a bigger issue out of it. In my personal opinion, I think it would all work out about right if the court issued a $50.00 fine and admonishment by the judge to try to use better judgement in the future. You'd get harsher treatment than that for spitting on the sidewalk in some places. Minneapolis man fined $115 for spitting on Dinkytown sidewalk - Rick Kupchella's – BringMeTheNews.com
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    The picture isn't the violation. The picture is the evidence of a violation in progress. Would you claim an arrest based upon a video of a rape to be a violation of the first amendment?
    The crime was doing something offensive (desecration). No one was there at the time the picture was taken to be offended. The charge was filed after the picture was seen on-line. So the offense was created by the picture, not the act. The Supreme Court has already struck down desecration laws as contrary to the first amendment. There is no right to be protected from offense in the US constitution. (although the courts have wrongly supported some laws that protect people from being offended, such as broadcast indecency laws)

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Sorry, but no go. Desecration applies to both religious and non religious objects, so it is not an issue of religious freedom. Nor is this an issues of freedom of speech. As noted had the boy permission, or owned the statue, then a charge could be said to apply unconstitutionally by either of those reasons. But the law in and of itself really has no basis to be called unconstitutional.
    Read the law. It is clearly unconstitutional.

  6. #526
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I think hate crime laws violate the first amendment, too, but they're still in place. In my opinion, the photograph is merely evidence of the offense not the offense, itself. And I think obscenity laws are still in place and the community may consider such a photograph and such behavior to be obscene.
    Obscenity has to be sexually explicit per case law. The photo is not explicit.

  7. #527
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    It violated a criminal law.
    It did. In my opinion, I don't really find it a just law, no matter how revolting the behavior.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #528
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,631

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Warning: Extremely offensive image in link

    Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue | The Smoking Gun



    I find it disgusting that this is a misdemeanor. It ought to be punished by imprisonment.
    That's it?
    No Leviticus 24:16?

    or maybe he is a true christian who hates idols

    Leviticus 26:1.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  9. #529
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    As for desecration, uslegal sez...



    If state laws are consistent with uslegal's definition, then they cast an absurdly wide net and could easily infringe on first amendment rights in far more innocuous examples than the one in this thread.
    Since the Supreme Court struck down the flag desecration laws, it would be very unlikely to uphold a desecration law concerning an object that has no official special status.

  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That would depend on laws concerning the distribution of obscene material, and whether the photographs constitutes obscenity.
    Obscenity requires explicit depiction of a sexual act. Since there were no genitals exposed, the photo is not explicit.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •