Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 540

Thread: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

  1. #421
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,790

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh absolutely. But my response wasn't to Paleo, it was to a completely separate poster who was holding up Paleo as some kind of example of what the "typical conservative reaction" is to this.
    And since Paleo is a neo-con, that's laughable on the face of it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #422
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    He committed a heinous act of blasphemy.
    Heinous to you perhaps. To me it is just a childish prank. Blasphemy only if you believe in such a thing. Childish for sure but not criminal.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And since Paleo is a neo-con, that's laughable on the face of it.
    Were you born stupid or is it an acquired trait?

  4. #424
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh absolutely. But my response wasn't to Paleo, it was to a completely separate poster who was holding up Paleo as some kind of example of what the "typical conservative reaction" is to this.
    Which is demonstrably false. Nevertheless, there will always be folks whose attitude is "Don't bother me with facts; my mind's already made up."

  5. #425
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,688

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Heinous to you perhaps. To me it is just a childish prank. Blasphemy only if you believe in such a thing. Childish for sure but not criminal.
    Just out of curiosity do you think any of the nations monuments or national treasures should be afforded extra protections? Do you believe hate crime legislation should exist?

  6. #426
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Just out of curiosity do you think any of the nations monuments or national treasures should be afforded extra protections? Do you believe hate crime legislation should exist?
    Yes I think national treasures should be protected but that has nothing to do with the OP. No, I don't think hate crime should exist. Intent is often used by the justice system to determine the level of criminality and I've always been uncomfortable with that because intent is within the individual. Murder should be treated as murder, for instance, regardless of intent. There should not be degrees of murder. Murder is simply murder in my view regardless of what the perpetrator intended. Yes I know the legal system disagrees with that belief.

    I should also mention that I don't believe the kid in the OP committed a hate crime, or any crime for that matter. He committed a stupid, childish prank. If he damaged the statue then he was guilty of malicious destruction of property, a crime. If he didn't then no harm done.

  7. #427
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,688

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Yes I think national treasures should be protected but that has nothing to do with the OP. No, I don't think hate crime should exist. Intent is often used by the justice system to determine the level of criminality and I've always been uncomfortable with that because intent is within the individual. Murder should be treated as murder, for instance, regardless of intent. There should not be degrees of murder. Murder is simply murder in my view regardless of what the perpetrator intended. Yes I know the legal system disagrees with that belief.

    I should also mention that I don't believe the kid in the OP committed a hate crime, or any crime for that matter. He committed a stupid, childish prank. If he damaged the statue then he was guilty of malicious destruction of property, a crime. If he didn't then no harm done.
    I didt mean to imply the national treasures shouldnt be protected, just if there should be 'special' protections. In other words...should an act of attempted vandalism against the Declaration of Independence be nothing more than a charge of vandalism without an additional penalty due to its protected nature.

  8. #428
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,562

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Calling me a liberal.
    How is that an insult? Your wanting to have something this petty made an imprisonable offense is an unnecessary intrusion on our lives and free speech - a typically liberal way of thinking.

    BTW - on the very same page you said this to another poster:

    You have twice in this thread referred to me as an 'it' (posts 330 and 341), which is insulting someone. You have also, at least twice in this thread, used the 'psycho' smiley in reply to a post (not mine), thereby calling the poster a psycho. (posts 346 and 351)

    Also in post 330, you said to a poster:

    This act was against the law, but don't let reality get in the way of a leftist rant.
    so, if calling someone a liberal is an insult, then saying their post is a 'leftist rant' is an insult, too.

    Methinks you have no room to talk.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    How is that an insult? Your wanting to have something this petty made an imprisonable offense is an unnecessary intrusion on our lives and free speech - a typically liberal way of thinking.

    BTW - on the very same page you said this to another poster:

    You have twice in this thread referred to me as an 'it' (posts 330 and 341), which is insulting someone. You have also, at least twice in this thread, used the 'psycho' smiley in reply to a post (not mine), thereby calling the poster a psycho. (posts 346 and 351)

    Also in post 330, you said to a poster:



    so, if calling someone a liberal is an insult, then saying their post is a 'leftist rant' is an insult, too.

    Methinks you have no room to talk.
    Advocating freedom as the primary aspect of one's politics is a liberal thing.

  10. #430
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I didt mean to imply the national treasures shouldnt be protected, just if there should be 'special' protections. In other words...should an act of attempted vandalism against the Declaration of Independence be nothing more than a charge of vandalism without an additional penalty due to its protected nature.
    Yes all things of value should have more than normal protection. I view all property as sacred whether it is a statue in someone's lawn or the declaration of independence. Vandalism is vandalism just as murder is murder in my view.

Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •