Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 540

Thread: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

  1. #391
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    It isn't equivalent.
    In the sense that you won't get your way I suppose... you're just an extremist in a sea of relative moderates that will never get his way.

    So in that way you're not equivalent, if you had your way you would be.

    But regardless of what you think truth means, you are an extremist of the worst and most ugly kind, who luckily isn't able to act on his fantasies.

  2. #392
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    You realize that this isn't actually an argument, right. You're just declaring Christianity and Islam to be equivalent.
    And you've done nothing to prove otherwise.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #393
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Well if you support murder being illegal, then you open the door to murder being legal.

    (liberal illogic)
    I support something being illegal so that opens the door to that thing being legal? That makes no ****en sense.Wouldn't an actual analogy be if you support something offensive being illegal then you open the door for other offensive things being made illegal?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #394
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I support something being illegal so that opens the door to that thing being legal? That makes no ****en sense.
    Which was exactly the point.

  5. #395
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Which was exactly the point.
    I do not know if you know this but analogies have to related to what the person is stating and have to make sense. Wanting something to be illegal is not in any shape or form equivalent to wanting it legal. No one but you is saying yeah lets make desecrating graven images a crime but lets not make anything else considered offensive a crime.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #396
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    You realize that this isn't actually an argument, right. You're just declaring Christianity and Islam to be equivalent.
    In which way?

    If you mean in terms of your "argument" for why you're right? Yes. I'm saying your claim that your belief "IS TRUE" is equivilent to a muslim who supports Sharia's claim that their belief "is true".

    If you mean in terms of the law, yes....I'm declaring that attempts to codify religious law into the law of a government are equavalent as it relates to using the law to enforce religious rules.

    As it relates to enforcing religious law as a matter of governmental law, Imprisoning people for "blaspheming" against the Christian God is equivalent to stoning people for depicting Muhammad is equivalent to fining people for speaking ill of Brahma. They ALL are instances of attempting to punish people for doing something negative towards a particular religion.

    I'm not suggesting that the REACTION is equivilent (stoning is not equivilent to imprisonment is not equivilent to fining), but rather the NATURE of the TYPE of law is equivilent.

    However, a man arguing from a position that treats a notion that is completely unverifiable and derives simply from fate as "FACT" has little ground to stand on in terms of declaring someone's argument "isn't actually an argument".

    Since your argument is simply "I believe this is so, and thus it factually is", then you're in a glass house casting stones at the moment.

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    In which way?

    If you mean in terms of your "argument" for why you're right? Yes. I'm saying your claim that your belief "IS TRUE" is equivilent to a muslim who supports Sharia's claim that their belief "is true".

    If you mean in terms of the law, yes....I'm declaring that attempts to codify religious law into the law of a government are equavalent as it relates to using the law to enforce religious rules.

    As it relates to enforcing religious law as a matter of governmental law, Imprisoning people for "blaspheming" against the Christian God is equivalent to stoning people for depicting Muhammad is equivalent to fining people for speaking ill of Brahma. They ALL are instances of attempting to punish people for doing something negative towards a particular religion.

    I'm not suggesting that the REACTION is equivilent (stoning is not equivilent to imprisonment is not equivilent to fining), but rather the NATURE of the TYPE of law is equivilent.

    However, a man arguing from a position that treats a notion that is completely unverifiable and derives simply from fate as "FACT" has little ground to stand on in terms of declaring someone's argument "isn't actually an argument".

    Since your argument is simply "I believe this is so, and thus it factually is", then you're in a glass house casting stones at the moment.
    See the third part of this post:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/religi...post1063196439

  8. #398
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Contrary to what you desire, assumptions are not facts. Furthermore, even if we're to assume the ressurection is absolute fact, it still does not inherently prove one is the "son of god" nor that the entirity of the Christian faith is true.

    As it relate to Aquinas's five ways. The first way does not in any way prove the existance of the Christian God. The second way does not in any way prove the existance of the Christian God. Same goes for three, and four, and five.

    All of them, AT BEST, can be an argument for a divine entity of some sort initially, not necessarily the "God" of the bible. Aquinas's five ways "prove" the beliefs of Hindu's as much as it proves the beliefs of Christians. Even then, his logic arguments are problematic in the sense they're dishonest attempts of logic where a percieved end point was already presented upon the creation of his question, injecting bias into the logical process from the start. This doesn't even go into some of the issues of internal logic with his points, such as the naturally ciruclar reasoning in using the general logic of "everything must come from something". But this isn't a religious thread so not going to go into nit picky notions. The FACT is however that Aquinas's 5 ways do not singularly work with the "Christian" version of "God" only.

  9. #399
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I think the progressives here really don't care about this issue NOT because the kid has First Amendment rights but because they hate Christianity, and that is more disturbing to me than the kid in the picture.
    Sigh, I hope you're wrong.

  10. #400
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Boy Charged For Desecration Of Jesus Statue

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And this is why I'm thankful religious extremists of any sort typically can't get substantial power in this country.

    Blasphemy, an entirely religious concept, should not be codified into law. Indeed, doing such is inherently against one of the foundational principles this country's government is based on, which is that the government should not restrict individuals speech.
    Exactly: Blasphemy should not be codified into law, and individual free speech, however abhorrent, should not be restricted unless it's seditious.

Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •