Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 197

Thread: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

  1. #1
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low | CNS News



    (CNSNews.com) - A record 92,269,000 Americans 16 and older did not participate in the labor force in August, as the labor force participation rate matched a 36-year low of 62.8 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

    The labor force participation rate has been as low as 62.8 percent in six of the last twelve months, but prior to last October had not fallen that low since 1978.

    BLS employment statistics are based on the civilian noninstitutional population, which consists of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution such as a prison, mental hospital or nursing home.
    The number of those not unemployed, but employable and not working seems to be going up. This is a crisis in my opinion.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #2
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    384

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low | CNS News




    The number of those not unemployed, but employable and not working seems to be going up. This is a crisis in my opinion.
    Okay, then what's the solution?

  3. #3
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by ToastyOats View Post
    Okay, then what's the solution?
    A president who promotes business growth instead of personal welfare? A president who uses the bully pulpit to promote better education options like charter schools in urban cities? A president who can work with congress instead of just spew idealogue partisan nonsense? A President who pushes for adult training and skill workshops instead of pushing more foodstamps to get people out of work working again?


    That will be $250,000 please. No personal checks.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #4
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Thank you Mr. President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #5
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by ToastyOats View Post
    Okay, then what's the solution?
    Less government intetfearance in the private sector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    A president who promotes business growth instead of personal welfare? A president who uses the bully pulpit to promote better education options like charter schools in urban cities? A president who can work with congress instead of just spew idealogue partisan nonsense? A President who pushes for adult training and skill workshops instead of pushing more foodstamps to get people out of work working again?


    That will be $250,000 please. No personal checks.
    Im not a big fan of the President either, however, The President isn't the all-mighty god of the government...... he can encourage something all day long, it is still up to congress and the senate to put the laws before him to sign. Just because a president promotes this idea or the other idea doesn't make everyone rush to do it, people have their own agendas as well.

    Its just a pet peeve of mine to see someone pile all the responsibility on one person, knowing our government isn't, and shouldn't be run that way.

  7. #7
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Im not a big fan of the President either, however, The President isn't the all-mighty god of the government...... he can encourage something all day long, it is still up to congress and the senate to put the laws before him to sign. Just because a president promotes this idea or the other idea doesn't make everyone rush to do it, people have their own agendas as well.

    Its just a pet peeve of mine to see someone pile all the responsibility on one person, knowing our government isn't, and shouldn't be run that way.
    Agreed - I have no illusion about how much power the president has but a president needs to be able to work with those who don't agree with all of his policies and be should (I said should - key word) be able to do the right thing for ALL people not just those of his political persuasion. We all try and fail - but specifically when welfare is pushed and not jobs, education and retraining which would help literally millions of people lift themselves out of poverty in this country due to politics - it's downright disgusting.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #8
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Agreed - I have no illusion about how much power the president has but a president needs to be able to work with those who don't agree with all of his policies and be should (I said should - key word) be able to do the right thing for ALL people not just those of his political persuasion. We all try and fail - but specifically when welfare is pushed and not jobs, education and retraining which would help literally millions of people lift themselves out of poverty in this country due to politics - it's downright disgusting.
    You are right though about the fact that this is an extremely partisan president who doesn't bother to hide his motivations, and even goes after news media who disagree with him as well as blasting partisan rhetoric regularly.

  9. #9
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low | CNS News




    The number of those not unemployed, but employable and not working seems to be going up. This is a crisis in my opinion.
    It depends on what you mean by "employable." Those not in the labor force face no LEGAL restrictions to work, but 37 million are 65 or older and of those under 65, 11 million are disabled. And another 11 million are age 16-24 and are enrolled in school.

    It's harder to count stay at home spouses, but overall 93.2% of those not in the labor force say they don't want to work.

    And while the Labor Force Participation is at a 36 year low...it's higher than any year before 1978.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Matches 36-Year Low

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "employable." Those not in the labor force face no LEGAL restrictions to work, but 37 million are 65 or older and of those under 65, 11 million are disabled. And another 11 million are age 16-24 and are enrolled in school.

    It's harder to count stay at home spouses, but overall 93.2% of those not in the labor force say they don't want to work.

    And while the Labor Force Participation is at a 36 year low...it's higher than any year before 1978.
    Considering the population is growing every year, that is not saying anything good.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •