Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 149

Thread: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. His makeup was fine.

    This is him.

    Attachment 67172355

    This is what he wore to get his picture taken for his license.

    Attachment 67172356
    Mascara is excessive.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    No he has a mental disorder, just like someone who professes to be Spiderman, cannot, well actually dress up like Spiderman and expect the DMV to acquiesce.
    What if he's a politician?

    Mumbai, India (CNN) -- Forget going door-to-door, Gaurav Sharma, 31, campaigns from window-to-window. He's an independent candidate running for a seat in India's general election from South Mumbai.
    Unlike the politicians he's up against, who wear traditional Indian clothes, Gaurav Sharma dresses like a man with extraordinary powers -- the Marvel superhero Spider-Man.
    .
    .
    "It takes a higher level of thinking and great organized thought," Sharma says, adding that a candidate needs these qualities to help the citizens of Mumbai.

    India's 'Spider-Man' pledges to use powers for good - CNN.com

  3. #43
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Then we have a serious problem in Canada, where Muslim women can vote with their faces hidden in a Burkha.

    Which raises the standard here a tad, as if this is the rule, an orthodox woman cannot get a license without removing her obligatory religious garment.

    I agree on what "should" be here, but what has been missed is that if this is for identification then shouldn't the photo be as the person would look in normal day-to-day life?
    Firstly, even in Canada, the woman in a burkha would have to remove the burkha when getting an acceptable ID card, like a driver's license or health card, and if there is any question about her ID in the voting station, she may have to remove it for an election's official to verify her identity.

    Secondly, how is the DMV or the equivalent here supposed to determine what any given person looks like normally in their day-to-day life? All the clerk sees is a person who presents themselves before them and they have to judge whether or not they are reasonably presented. As I mentioned in previous threads on this subject, to take it to an extreme, why wouldn't a professional, very busy clown who's always in costume and makeup, everywhere he/she drives, be allowed to take their driver's license pic in full clown makeup?

    This is one of those occasions where I personally oppose the vast majority bending over backwards to accommodate the whims of a minute minority for no legitimate reason. It's just vanity and narcissism and society has too much of that already.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #44
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    We'll see what the court(s) have to say about this.
    Yes, unfortunately. Nothing is left to common sense any longer - every idiotic whim needs to have a court sanction it or strike it down.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #45
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,458

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Firstly, even in Canada, the woman in a burkha would have to remove the burkha when getting an acceptable ID card, like a driver's license or health card, and if there is any question about her ID in the voting station, she may have to remove it for an election's official to verify her identity.

    Secondly, how is the DMV or the equivalent here supposed to determine what any given person looks like normally in their day-to-day life? All the clerk sees is a person who presents themselves before them and they have to judge whether or not they are reasonably presented. As I mentioned in previous threads on this subject, to take it to an extreme, why wouldn't a professional, very busy clown who's always in costume and makeup, everywhere he/she drives, be allowed to take their driver's license pic in full clown makeup?

    This is one of those occasions where I personally oppose the vast majority bending over backwards to accommodate the whims of a minute minority for no legitimate reason. It's just vanity and narcissism and society has too much of that already.
    First off, Quebec has ruled that women DO NOT have to remove their Bukhas and I suspect that rule will soon follow here.

    I also oppose a vast and politically correct over correction and ask why the above the above at all.

    In saying "day to day life" there is no government role there merely common sense. In this case the argument is it is a "disguise" which is clearly not the case since this guy appears to consider make up his norm. If that's the way he's likely to look when asked for ID then let him do it and that can be resolved with a question.

    And no, I am not a fan of legislating "might happens" which seem to be the way of the left, at least in Canada who have become ban-crazy making it an offense to sell bottled water on or in an City owned facility. This bureaucratic decision appear to me to be the thin edge of the wedge in that direction
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #46
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    First off, Quebec has ruled that women DO NOT have to remove their Bukhas and I suspect that rule will soon follow here.

    I also oppose a vast and politically correct over correction and ask why the above the above at all.

    In saying "day to day life" there is no government role there merely common sense. In this case the argument is it is a "disguise" which is clearly not the case since this guy appears to consider make up his norm. If that's the way he's likely to look when asked for ID then let him do it and that can be resolved with a question.

    And no, I am not a fan of legislating "might happens" which seem to be the way of the left, at least in Canada who have become ban-crazy making it an offense to sell bottled water on or in an City owned facility. This bureaucratic decision appear to me to be the thin edge of the wedge in that direction
    I won't argue your points - not because I necessarily believe you're right or wrong but because I've already wasted too much time on this little publicity hound who gets off on being the center of attention. If American courts want to waste their time on this nonsense, more power to them.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #47
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,458

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I won't argue your points - not because I necessarily believe you're right or wrong but because I've already wasted too much time on this little publicity hound who gets off on being the center of attention. If American courts want to waste their time on this nonsense, more power to them.
    Yeah, I'm kind of done here too..
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #48
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    No he has a mental disorder, just like someone who professes to be Spiderman, cannot, well actually dress up like Spiderman and expect the DMV to acquiesce.

    Tim-
    Wearing clothes that are normally worn by the other sex or wearing makeup when it is normally worn now by the other sex is not "a mental disorder", at all. No one is allowed to dress up like Spiderman. And this boy is not professing to be a girl. He is merely wearing attire that is normally worn by women. And yes, the DMV should have to acquiesce because there is no law that says men cannot wear makeup or women's clothing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #49
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Mascara is excessive.
    No more than it is on many girls his age. Or older women for that matter.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #50
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Firstly, even in Canada, the woman in a burkha would have to remove the burkha when getting an acceptable ID card, like a driver's license or health card, and if there is any question about her ID in the voting station, she may have to remove it for an election's official to verify her identity.

    Secondly, how is the DMV or the equivalent here supposed to determine what any given person looks like normally in their day-to-day life? All the clerk sees is a person who presents themselves before them and they have to judge whether or not they are reasonably presented. As I mentioned in previous threads on this subject, to take it to an extreme, why wouldn't a professional, very busy clown who's always in costume and makeup, everywhere he/she drives, be allowed to take their driver's license pic in full clown makeup?

    This is one of those occasions where I personally oppose the vast majority bending over backwards to accommodate the whims of a minute minority for no legitimate reason. It's just vanity and narcissism and society has too much of that already.
    Because that clown is in a profession, not living as a clown, even if the clown is in that makeup a lot.

    Here's an easy way to determine if it should be alright or not, would he be allowed to get on a plane dressed as he is without getting further screening? The answer is almost certainly "yes", so then the DMV has no place to tell him he needed to remove his makeup. This is gender discrimination.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •