Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 149

Thread: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

  1. #11
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I have no way to predict it. If the state can show where they have enforced this law before (like I know first hand the state of NC does) and not just on LBGT's, then the state of SC may have a pretty strong chance of prevailing in court. However, if they cannot show that they enforce the law across the board or that they do but only against LBGT's, then the state of SC is screwed.

    Like you said, let's wait and see what happens.
    They can't. They told him and the news that he was told he couldn't wear it because he is a guy, not for any other reason. Plus, his makeup was really conservative. You can barely tell he is male. Likely the main reason they knew was because of it being on his license.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #12
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo allstar View Post
    The purpose of ID is???? Identification!! He can play dress up after he gets his photo taken. Find another cause to get behind because this isn't it, you just look irrational and quite frankly stupid.
    The purpose of the photo is to identify him for who he is, who he presents himself as, not to uphold gender stereotypes.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #13
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I can see both sides on this really. On one hand an ID is supposed to identify who you REALLY are and with makeup and a wig it doesn't. However, if that is what you are normally wearing, then taking all that stuff off won't look like you then so what's the point?
    The problem here is that he wasn't trying to alter his normal appearance. He normally wears makeup and looks like a girl. Just because the DMV doesn't know this doesn't mean he should be punished for them being naive on the fact that there are boys who wear makeup and dress like girls, even some who have no intention of actually switching their genders or sexes legally.

    Heck, it would be more of a disguise for me to wear makeup than for him to, from what I've read. That is the major issue with this case. They would not make women/girls remove their makeup, because they assume that girls/women wear makeup. That is a major policy issue.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #14
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The purpose of the photo is to identify him for who he is, who he presents himself as, not to uphold gender stereotypes.
    Then why did you just call him a "him" and not a her? The purpose of ID is not " who you present yourself as" its what you actually are and in HIS case its a male. So if I feel black I can wear face paint and a afro wig for my ID pic?? Like I said pick another cause to give your life meaning because you just sound devoid of commonsense and quite frankly stupid.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    A 16-year old in South Carolina sued the states Department of Motor vehicles on Tuesday because the agency won't allow him to take a driver's license photo wearing makeup.

    Read the article here: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup


    I predict that this young person will win this lawsuit.

    This is all about the state of South Carolina trying to control people.


    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    If the DMV noticed his makeup, then his makeup job sucks. The purpose of daily wear makeup is to obscure scars and bruising, not make it obvious that one is wearing makeup

  6. #16
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    If the DMV noticed his makeup, then his makeup job sucks. The purpose of daily wear makeup is to obscure scars and bruising, not make it obvious that one is wearing makeup


    That comes as a huge surprise to me, I always thought that the purpose of makeup was to make it obvious that the person wearing it is a slut on the prowl.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 09-04-14 at 12:52 PM.

  7. #17
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo allstar View Post
    Then why did you just call him a "him" and not a her? The purpose of ID is not " who you present yourself as" its what you actually are and in HIS case its a male. So if I feel black I can wear face paint and a afro wig for my ID pic?? Like I said pick another cause to give your life meaning because you just sound devoid of commonsense and quite frankly stupid.
    Because he is not transgendered. He is gender nonconforming, meaning he does not uphold normal gender stereotypes, including what his gender normally wears, how his gender normally acts, and/or any other gender based standards people hold others to.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    That comes as a huge surprise to me, I always thought that the purpose of makeup was to make it obvious that the person wearing it is a slut.
    That doesn't make any sense. Anyone who wore makeup to portray him/herself as a slut is deceiving the public about his/her sluttiness. A true slut would not need to wear makeup.

  9. #19
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    A 16-year old in South Carolina sued the states Department of Motor vehicles on Tuesday because the agency won't allow him to take a driver's license photo wearing makeup.

    Read the article here: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup


    I predict that this young person will win this lawsuit.

    This is all about the state of South Carolina trying to control people.


    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    To quote Yogi Berra, this seems like deja vu all over again. Didn't we have this discussion about 8 months ago?

    Anyway, my position remains the same - if the government, the issuer of the privilege, believes you are in costume or disguise when getting your driver's license ID pic, they have the right to deny you the license. You should appear as natural as possible in such pics, in my view. A driver's license is not a right.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #20
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    If the DMV noticed his makeup, then his makeup job sucks. The purpose of daily wear makeup is to obscure scars and bruising, not make it obvious that one is wearing makeup
    No. His makeup was fine.

    This is him.

    chase-culpepper.jpg

    This is what he wore to get his picture taken for his license.

    3986559_G.jpg
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •