Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 149 of 149

Thread: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

  1. #141
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Not my fault you don't understand law and order.

    The only bias here is yours.
    I understand law and order just fine. I also understand the Constitution. You cannot tell someone that they can't wear makeup only because of their sex/gender. That is unconstitutional. There is no legitimate reason for it and you are trying to go an extra step by assuming that a guy who wears makeup must be guilty of trying to "disguise" themselves for some sort of criminal activity. This simply isn't true. Innocent til proven guilty.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #142
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Criminals often do.
    No, two-picture ID required by the state... because this person could present them self as either male or female at any given time... even with no insidious intent at all... because, as you say, anyone can be a threat.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #143
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Then maybe they should have two photos on their ID, one for each possibility.

    My question is, do they then have to make women who don't wear makeup put some on "just in case" they decide to wear makeup one day? I rarely wear makeup. I've only worn it (not counting just some lipgloss) about a dozen or so times in my life, and that was really only when I was dressing up (happens rarely). I look very different wearing my uniform or even just my everyday clothes than I do wearing a dress, makeup, jewelry, contacts, and my hair swept back rather than up for my uniform or hanging limp.

    What about those who are androgynous? They normally could pass for either sex without any effort.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #144
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    If this how he dresses every day... eh, yeah, I find it peculiar, but I don't see a problem with having his ID reflect the way he looks all the time. But then, the laws governing these things are simple, and we are dealing with a bureaucracy, so what do you expect?

    This doesn't really offend me for his sake or anything, but at the same time I think the law could be adjusted to accommodate, probably should. A "costume" you wear all day every day... yeah, that isn't a costume.

  5. #145
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    If this how he dresses every day... eh, yeah, I find it peculiar, but I don't see a problem with having his ID reflect the way he looks all the time. But then, the laws governing these things are simple, and we are dealing with a bureaucracy, so what do you expect?

    This doesn't really offend me for his sake or anything, but at the same time I think the law could be adjusted to accommodate, probably should. A "costume" you wear all day every day... yeah, that isn't a costume.
    The laws are simple, but they're also not keeping up with society.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #146
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The laws are simple, but they're also not keeping up with society.
    It can be hard to do so at times.

    Some places take such accommodations to extremes I would find uncomfortable and / or distasteful.

    In this case, it is reasonable enough as this isn't a make-up that obscures identity and it is worn routinely; for practical purposes, the picture looking like how he looks would be a good thing. The ID is going to have his picture as how he dresses and it will say: "M" on it. Anyone that NEEDS to read it will notice that discrepancy and know the guy's a transvestite, but I can't envision a scenario where that would matter in any case where anyone needs to read the thing.

  7. #147
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    It can be hard to do so at times.

    Some places take such accommodations to extremes I would find uncomfortable and / or distasteful.

    In this case, it is reasonable enough as this isn't a make-up that obscures identity and it is worn routinely; for practical purposes, the picture looking like how he looks would be a good thing. The ID is going to have his picture as how he dresses and it will say: "M" on it. Anyone that NEEDS to read it will notice that discrepancy and know the guy's a transvestite, but I can't envision a scenario where that would matter in any case where anyone needs to read the thing.
    Here in Austin TX, the city council recently agreed to change the signage on all single person bathrooms in the city because the transgenders felt 'uncomfortable' using M/F bathrooms.

    It makes me uncomfortable that this is the direction our society has taken.

    Pandering to weirdness.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #148
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    nm...
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #149
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo allstar View Post
    Then why did you just call him a "him" and not a her? The purpose of ID is not " who you present yourself as" its what you actually are and in HIS case its a male. So if I feel black I can wear face paint and a afro wig for my ID pic?? Like I said pick another cause to give your life meaning because you just sound devoid of commonsense and quite frankly stupid.
    The DMV allows men to be photographed with a beard, do they not? This is something that could potentially mask what your face really looks like.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •