Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

  1. #31
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    It is sometimes hard to have something sound better then a Bieber song. I just need to step on my cats tail.


    Hard on my cat that is.

  2. #32
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,437

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That's a funny thing with Canadian celebrities. When they're strictly Canadian and virtually unknown in the US, we're always pushing for them to get recognition in America and perplexed if they don't but as soon as they make it big in the US we start to lose our affection for them and criticize that success.

    I believe it's a definite Canadian inferiority complex at play, but we are getting better at accepting success on the world stage.


    Indeed. Also it is because we live next door to a country that feasts on patriotism. We like our heroes to be quiet an unassuming; even better if they are dead like TC Douglas, Terry Fox.

    Unlike the US though, our leaders do not become heroes simply because they die. Pierre Elliot Trudeau is as vilified today as if he were alive.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #33
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    First I have heard about that, so I guess it wasn't a big sell. But I'd pay big money for tickets to see Rob Ford snorting a line backstage. LOL.
    Maybe it was Austin, not Houston - the music festival seemed to be a big deal.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #34
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,747

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Maybe it was Austin, not Houston - the music festival seemed to be a big deal.
    Ahh, you must be talking about South by Southwest. That's in Austin. Houston has South by Due East. People get them mixed up all the time. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #35
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,955

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    No, I'm defending him because I'm a Canuck - we try not to be overly judgmental. If you can find a comment of mine where I've criticized the private life of an American, or someone of another nationality, you're point may be valid - but I bet you won't find one.
    Congrats on your defense then. I know a few Canuck friends of mine and they will defend SCTV, the McKenzie brothers, Tim Horton's and the Only You song but they have never defended Beiber.

  6. #36
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Congrats on your defense then. I know a few Canuck friends of mine and they will defend SCTV, the McKenzie brothers, Tim Horton's and the Only You song but they have never defended Beiber.
    Nothing to defend about SCTV and Tim Horton's - they're national treasures. While not my particular taste (I'm not a beer drinker) the McKenzie brothers are also extremely popular here - Canadian's love making fun of themselves. "Only You" song? What's that? And Bieber, we don't so much defend as excuse his youthful indiscretions and hope for a quicker transition into adulthood.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #37
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,747

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Nothing to defend about SCTV and Tim Horton's - they're national treasures. While not my particular taste (I'm not a beer drinker) the McKenzie brothers are also extremely popular here - Canadian's love making fun of themselves. "Only You" song? What's that? And Bieber, we don't so much defend as excuse his youthful indiscretions and hope for a quicker transition into adulthood.
    Take off, you hoser. Take off, eh? LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #38
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,955

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    "Only You" song? What's that?
    Im not sure if it was a song in a record or from a movie but I recall someone (who was drunk) describing it to me, basically a Mountie on a canoe with a guitar singing to the girl and singing, "Only youuuuoooouuuuooouuuu" and then some twangy music. He told me every Canadian knows that song...

  9. #39
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Im not sure if it was a song in a record or from a movie but I recall someone (who was drunk) describing it to me, basically a Mountie on a canoe with a guitar singing to the girl and singing, "Only youuuuoooouuuuooouuuu" and then some twangy music. He told me every Canadian knows that song...
    Ahhh, you're probably referring to the Indian Love Call, a song from the 1920's, from a play at that time and a movie, Rose Marie, from the 1930's, most famously popularized by Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald - Eddy as a RCMP officer (Mountie) and MacDonald as an Indian maiden. It is, because of the Mountie connection, an iconic symbol of Canadiana.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #40
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,955

    Re: Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Ahhh, you're probably referring to the Indian Love Call, a song from the 1920's, from a play at that time and a movie, Rose Marie, from the 1930's, most famously popularized by Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald - Eddy as a RCMP officer (Mountie) and MacDonald as an Indian maiden. It is, because of the Mountie connection, an iconic symbol of Canadiana.
    Thanks for the info, Ive been searching for the exact term for years! I think one of my friends explained it to me but I was too drunk to remember.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •