Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I would say that getting into a good gallery or museum requires a successful argument that your work is modern and relevant. Skill level is near the bottom of prerequisites.
    Then I suggest that you try it. There is a lot of money that can be made in art once you get in to a good gallery or museum.

  2. #12
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Then I suggest that you try it. There is a lot of money that can be made in art once you get in to a good gallery or museum.
    No thanks. I still have the remnant of a soul left.

    (edit: btw, I'm still talking about abstract art).
    Last edited by Cardinal; 09-01-14 at 07:01 PM.

  3. #13
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Fun fact: "Irving Kristol (January 22, 1920 September 18, 2009) was an American columnist, journalist, and writer who was dubbed the "godfather of neo-conservatism."....Kristol was affiliated with the Congress for Cultural Freedom; he wrote in Commentary magazine from 1947 to 1952,...."

    Per the OP's article, the Congress for Cultural Freedom was a front group for the CIA's cultural propaganda efforts.
    Kristin claimed, somewhat with mixed results, that he had no idea Encounter was funded with CIA funds. I personally thought that even if he didn't know it was funded through the CIA, he would have accepted the task. By that time he had already started showing that he was fine with the concept of exposing socialists, the Communist Party, and doing what he could do to erode their influence in public life.

    At any rate, I wholeheartedly support the concept. I just thought the discussion on the side was doubly laughable. For one thing, that community tended to exaggerate the extent upon which a revolution could be aided through art or literature (or simultaneously stopped with the two). Secondly, there is this expectation that the intellectual be some sort of distant moral observer and critic; untainted by government or establishment power structures.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 09-01-14 at 09:20 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #14
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No thanks. I still have the remnant of a soul left.

    (edit: btw, I'm still talking about abstract art).
    The galleries ruin the soul huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  5. #15
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Perhaps painters art was what was used from the CIA in the 1950's and 60's. But later the CIA might have switched artists from painters to Hollywood actors and movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  6. #16
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    The galleries ruin the soul huh?
    Heh, while it's certainly possible, I was really saying that in reference to...

    "I would say that getting into a good gallery or museum requires a successful argument that your work is modern and relevant. Skill level is near the bottom of prerequisites."

    In other words, you can paint a turd, but as long as you're really, really good at rationalizing it after the fact you don't really have to have a lot of craftsmanship.

  7. #17
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Heh, while it's certainly possible, I was really saying that in reference to...

    "I would say that getting into a good gallery or museum requires a successful argument that your work is modern and relevant. Skill level is near the bottom of prerequisites."

    In other words, you can paint a turd, but as long as you're really, really good at rationalizing it after the fact you don't really have to have a lot of craftsmanship.
    This implies talking to artists. One work of art should not be valued after someone rationalizes or tells you how valuable an artwork may be. A good artwork should be appealing on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  8. #18
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    This implies talking to artists. One work of art should not be valued after someone rationalizes or tells you how valuable an artwork may be. A good artwork should be appealing on its own.
    And if you believe that then abstract impressionism isn't for you since the work would be centered around the process of its creation, as well as being able to understand its intent and modern cultural relevance.

    A really good work of art, in my opinion, is multi-layered. There should be an immediate positive or powerful initial reaction followed by greater appreciation when more information is unveiled after the fact.

  9. #19
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And if you believe that then abstract impressionism isn't for you since the work would be centered around the process of its creation, as well as being able to understand its intent and modern cultural relevance.

    A really good work of art, in my opinion, is multi-layered. There should be an immediate positive or powerful initial reaction followed by greater appreciation when more information is unveiled after the fact.
    Well, we cannot debate tastes, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #20
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Well, we cannot debate tastes, so...
    Wow, we hit that wall really fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •