Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #81
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,177
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    So if the LGBT community doesn't get all they want by the election of 2014 as in 2010, will they sit out this election as both they and the Blacks did in 2010, throwing the House to the GOP? Real smooth move there. Get registered to vote and then vote .
    Where did that come from?? I haven't seen or heard a single voice in the LGBT news outlets that have said anything remotely close to that (boycotting, etc.).

  2. #82
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The problem here is what you believe is the purpose of marriage. You seem to believe it's procreation. It isn't.
    Actually, I believe the purpose of marriage is to provide legal framework for support of the natural pairing of a man and a woman into a bonded couple. Merely being one of each sex meets the criteria of being the natural form for bonded couples to take. Successfully procreating isn't the defining characteristic.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #83
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Actually, I believe the purpose of marriage is to provide legal framework for support of the natural pairing of a man and a woman into a bonded couple. Merely being one of each sex meets the criteria of being the natural form for bonded couples to take. Successfully procreating isn't the defining characteristic.
    And therefore is not a barrier to same-sex couples to receive the same benefits of said legal framework.

    So all you are left is with "it's supposed to be a man and a woman because that's natural."

    And you think that's good enough for an equal protection challenge requiring intermediate constitutional scrutiny?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Ah. The appeal to tradition logical fallacy.
    It's not a fallacy that natural mamallian pairings are male plus female. The fact that natural is also traditional doesn't make it an "appeal to tradition" logical fallacy. It's an "appeal to common sense" logical conclusion.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And therefore is not a barrier to same-sex couples to receive the same benefits of said legal framework.

    So all you are left is with "it's supposed to be a man and a woman because that's natural."

    And you think that's good enough for an equal protection challenge requiring intermediate constitutional scrutiny?
    Yep, that's what I'm left with and I think it's sufficient that marriage was designed to support the natural state, not whatever deviant square peg of a sexual relationship people want to pound into the round hole of marriage.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not a fallacy that natural mamallian pairings are male plus female. The fact that natural is also traditional doesn't make it an "appeal to tradition" logical fallacy. It's an "appeal to common sense" logical conclusion.
    natural is not a basis for laws. Shall we ban diet-soda because it isn't natural?

    Here are the facts that you seem to ignore.

    Being gay is legal.
    Gays living together is legal.
    Gays having sex is legal.
    Gays raising children is legal.

    Therefore gays getting married should be legal as well. Now THAT is common sense. Your side lost a long time ago.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    natural is not a basis for laws. Shall we ban diet-soda because it isn't natural?

    Here are the facts that you seem to ignore.

    Being gay is legal.
    Gays living together is legal.
    Gays having sex is legal.
    Gays raising children is legal.

    Therefore gays getting married should be legal as well. Now THAT is common sense. Your side lost a long time ago.
    Natural is absolutely a basis for laws. You can't bugger a horse because it's unnatural. Maybe you think you should be able to but the law says you can't.

    I suppose that'll be the next prohibition on the list for freedom fighters like yourself to assault.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Natural is absolutely a basis for laws. You can't bugger a horse because it's unnatural. Maybe you think you should be able to but the law says you can't.
    Actually the whole reason you can't isn't because it is unatural it is because a horse cannot LEGALLY consent. However, I find it most interesting that the ones that bring up buggering animals are conservatives.


    I suppose that'll be the next prohibition on the list for freedom fighters like yourself to assault.
    Ah yes, another slippery slope fallacy from a side who has lost and is throwing a mantrum about it.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not a fallacy that natural mamallian pairings are male plus female. The fact that natural is also traditional doesn't make it an "appeal to tradition" logical fallacy. It's an "appeal to common sense" logical conclusion.
    Why do genitals have any precedence in determining what a "natural pairing" can be????

  10. #90
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You can't bugger a horse
    I believe there's some rather disturbing videos on the interwebz that prove you're quite wrong.

Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •