Page 77 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #761
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,265

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Evil and sin, unopposed, manifests itself in every crevice of society...like it or not. It negatively affects everything.
    The evil which is the stupidity off religion manifests it's self in all aspects of society. Repression of different people who do no harm to anybody else is just one of it's evil ways.

  2. #762
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Well, Townhall is not exactly an academic source, but to answer the question in the thread title, sure. Why not? Doesn't bother me.

  3. #763
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I keep hearing this assertion that there is some constitutional right to same-sex marriage. But that's all it is, an assertion. The people who keep making it can never make a coherent, constitutionally-based argument. They aren't alone, though--the federal judges who have signed onto the homosexual agenda can't make that argument either.
    I've done that several times. Your assertion that it isn't constitutionally-sound is just that, an assertion. I don't think you've even read their decisions, because I've never seen you post a single quote from any decision and provide any rebuttal whatsoever.

    The decisions of these courts are nothing but judicial fiat. They unconstitutionally trample on the rights of large majorities to make their own laws and do not deserve respect. The recent one out of Virginia that declares same-sex marriage a fundamental right is an especially outrageous new departure. The Supreme Court has been very careful to avoid suggesting anything so ludicrous. But a Court that can concoct a "fundamental right" to abortion out of thin air is capable of anything--if it thinks the American people will sit still for it.
    The American people are on the side of same-sex marriage. Public opinion on that subject has shifted rapidly and continues to do so. As for your "judicial fiat" nonsense, that's just what people say when they disagree with a judge's decision but can't actually articulate any legal reason that the judge's decision is wrong.

    The Supreme Court is not the sole arbiter of what the Constitution means, even though it arrogated that authority to itself in Cooper v. Aaron in 1958. It is the people who have the final say, and they have several means available to frustrate or nullify unreasonable interpretations of the Constitution by the Supreme Court. Here are some of them:

    A President may simply decline to enforce a decision, as Lincoln did with Dred Scott. Or, Congress may pass laws that frustrate the decision, and dare the Court to strike them down. Congress also has power to remove the jurisdiction of the lower federal courts over cases involving a certain issue, making it practically impossible to bring a claim that a state law violates the Supreme Court's holding on that issue. Impeaching a justice may be the most extreme remedy. It's only been done once, long ago--but it may be time to look into it again.
    The people are only indirectly arbiters of the constitution, via the election of representatives. The people have elected representatives, who have in turn appointed these judges. You want Congress to reverse these judges' decisions? Great. Call your representative and tell them that. We're not a direct democracy, we're a representative democracy. (AKA a republic) And for good reason. The vicious whims of the majority can easily be used to suppress the rights of the minority, which is exactly what you are advocating here.

    Impeachment? Why, because a judge made a decision you don't like? Sorry, dude. You have no legal reasoning for your objections, which is why you've never made a coherent rebuttal.
    Last edited by Deuce; 08-24-14 at 01:23 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #764
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I'm good with this. In the end, it doesn't matter what it is called, as long as legally all couples obtaining this legal status have the exact same rights and responsibilities. It'll most likely still be called marriage by society as a whole and even by government workers. But the legal aspect is far more important than the label.
    No one is asking you to ignore the legal aspects. Nonetheless, you might want to consider the aspect of government regulating a supposed religious word and those implications.

  5. #765
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    It addresses the argument that while Paul condemned gay sex relations (Romans 1:26-27) that Jesus did not. So my point was that Jesus (God) did address it.

    The problem is there are divine consequences: God's judgment on men and nations. So we can't just say that because it's legal, then we don't have to worry about anything else.
    I didn't state that. The legality has nothing to do with your perception of sin. Whether God or Jesus approves isn't relevant to what our legislation should be is what I stated. If your perception of sin is what we use to make laws then we are violating the 1st amendment. Your point is also flawed in that it assumes the sinful act doesn't happen be cause it's illegal for same sex people to "marry" from a government standpoint.
    #1) Same sex people can marry now in all aspects except receiving the benefits of the marriage from the federal government and some states.
    #2) AFAIK Homosexual sex is the sin. It's completely LEGAL in all states. SO the sinful act is already legal.

    All people do when they rally against SSM is deny people the same benefits that others receive in the same situation. Usually because they don't want SSM to be considered legit.
    From the ashes.

  6. #766
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,687

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Diversion from the facts of history.

    Diversion from the facts of history and an attempt to minimize the intolerance solidarity you share with Muslims.
    Absolute nonsense.

    Last time I checked Jesus taught his people to love God, their fellow man, and even their enemies. Show me where the Koran teaches that?

    Moreso, where's your tolerance for people of faith in Jesus Christ?
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  7. #767
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,687

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

    All people do when they rally against SSM is deny people the same benefits that others receive in the same situation. Usually because they don't want SSM to be considered legit.
    Exactly. And we don't want the wrath of God coming down on our country because of SSM and other debauchery.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  8. #768
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Exactly. And we don't want the wrath of God coming down on our country because of SSM and other debauchery.
    But as I mentioned in the previous post, you aren't preventing it. You are only denying others benefits that opposite sex couples receive. So how does your argument stand?
    From the ashes.

  9. #769
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Exactly. And we don't want the wrath of God coming down on our country because of SSM and other debauchery.
    Is God going to punish you because two dudes sign a legal contract that happens to use the word marriage? Is He going to punish me?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #770
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,151

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    No you have no power to grant or deny rights, that power rests with the govt.
    However your feelings on the matter are NOT a reason to deny rights to others. That is EVil.
    To Hell with your government..It's not the end all you would love for it to be.

    It's wrong more often than it's right.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •