Page 6 of 137 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #51
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And just because YOU and some other people think its an oxymoron doesn't make it so. The fact is the majority of society believes you are wrong.
    I think the majority of society is just tired of hearing about it. Most of the societies in the world want no part of it and only a small minority of states have undertaken the grand gay experiment of creating the oxymoron of homosexual marriage. You know, even if all the states adopt this absurdity, it is still a natural oxymoron; a human construct that no longer reflects the natural state that marriage was designed to accommodate and support.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I think the majority of society is just tired of hearing about it. Most of the societies in the world want no part of it and only a small minority of states have undertaken the grand gay experiment of creating the oxymoron of homosexual marriage. You know, even if all the states adopt this absurdity, it is still a natural oxymoron; a human construct that no longer reflects the natural state that marriage was designed to accommodate and support.
    Nope it is nothing but your OPINION it is an oxymoron. Good thing what you "think" is of no matter to the rest of society. You will soon be put in the same catagory as those who think interracial marriages aren't real marriages either. You'll have good company there that fit your persona.

  3. #53
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I think the majority of society is just tired of hearing about it. Most of the societies in the world want no part of it and only a small minority of states have undertaken the grand gay experiment of creating the oxymoron of homosexual marriage. You know, even if all the states adopt this absurdity, it is still a natural oxymoron; a human construct that no longer reflects the natural state that marriage was designed to accommodate and support.
    I don't think you know what "oxymoron" means. An oxymoron would be "awfully good" or "cheerful pessimist." You see how in each of those examples there are two words that directly contradict each other? The reason "gay marriage" isn't an oxymoron is because marriage is a human construct, an institution created by people, and can be changed by people. The fact that marriage was once by law forbidden to interracial couples is evidence of this. Like gay marriage, the laws were amended, and you don't hear anybody (that you would take seriously, I hope) call interracial marriage an "oxymoron" do you?

    "The grand gay experiment." I like that.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-18-14 at 12:49 PM.

  4. #54
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And none of them would be clever.
    You don't know that.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #55
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You don't know that.
    They would all be as clever as that response.

  6. #56
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,433

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I think the majority of society is just tired of hearing about it. Most of the societies in the world want no part of it and only a small minority of states have undertaken the grand gay experiment of creating the oxymoron of homosexual marriage. You know, even if all the states adopt this absurdity, it is still a natural oxymoron; a human construct that no longer reflects the natural state that marriage was designed to accommodate and support.
    "The grand gay experiment"


    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  7. #57
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Here is the McClatchy-Marist Poll from just a few days ago (8/14).

    WASHINGTON: Sea change: Americans revising opinions on gays, poll finds | Washington | McClatchy DC

    54% support SSM in this poll... again, the percentage has been rising consistently over the past 10 years.
    One thing of note is that those 60 and older are the one age group that doesn't support SSM... so when they die off...




    Another very interesting poll.



    You may not have noticed but everyone who's alive gets older every day. No one gets younger.

    With advances in health care it's likely that the percentage of seniors in the USA's population will increase.

    Think about it.

    The old fogies aren't all going to kick the bucket tomorrow.

    They'll continue to be a big percentage of the USA's Population for a long time.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 08-18-14 at 01:01 PM.

  8. #58
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You may not have noticed but everyone who's alive gets older every day. No one gets younger.

    With advances in health care it's likely that the percentage of seniors in the USA's population will increase.

    Think about it.

    The old fogies aren't all going to kick the bucket tomorrow.
    We have a few centuries of medical progress to go before the current lot of old fogies go Highlander.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-18-14 at 01:05 PM.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I don't think you know what "oxymoron" means. An oxymoron would be "awfully good" or "cheerful pessimist." You see how in each of those examples there are two words that directly contradict each other? The reason "gay marriage" isn't an oxymoron is because marriage is a human construct, an institution created by people, and can be changed by people. The fact that marriage was once by law forbidden to interracial couples is evidence of this. Like gay marriage, the laws were amended, and you don't hear anybody (that you would take seriously, I hope) call interracial marriage an "oxymoron" do you?

    "The grand gay experiment." I like that.
    Since male and female actually IS what nature intended, I can understand why no one calls an interracial marriage an oxymoron because as long as it's one from the female of the species and one from the male of the species, it still makes sense. Of course, racists would oppose it but not because it's not marriage, but, ironically, because it IS the very nature and purpose of marriage that they would find so loathsome between people of mixed race. While there's no doubt that homosexual relationships are real relationships, they simply can't truly be marital relationships by any reasonable expectation of the purpose and design of marriage. While I do find this to be a conundrum because I think homosexuals should have access to the same protections that marriage affords, I'm just not convinced that just extending the definition of marriage to accommodate that makes sense. It's the simplest solution but it creates an oxymoron because two people of the same sex can't be a natural marriage. That's my opinion and I know it's not one shared by everyone and that's cool with me. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to share my opinion on anything.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,547

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Since male and female actually IS what nature intended, I can understand why no one calls an interracial marriage an oxymoron because as long as it's one from the female of the species and one from the male of the species, it still makes sense. Of course, racists would oppose it but not because it's not marriage, but, ironically, because it IS the very nature and purpose of marriage that they would find so loathsome between people of mixed race. While there's no doubt that homosexual relationships are real relationships, they simply can't truly be marital relationships by any reasonable expectation of the purpose and design of marriage. While I do find this to be a conundrum because I think homosexuals should have access to the same protections that marriage affords, I'm just not convinced that just extending the definition of marriage to accommodate that makes sense. It's the simplest solution but it creates an oxymoron because two people of the same sex can't be a natural marriage. That's my opinion and I know it's not one shared by everyone and that's cool with me. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to share my opinion on anything.
    Is it an "oxymoron" if a woman who is past menopause gets married to a man who's had a vasectomy?

    Seems your definition of what's natural revolves around procreation.

    So if a male and a female get married, but can't (for whatever reason) procreate, is that an "oxymoronic marriage" ?

Page 6 of 137 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •