Page 48 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #471
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    And marriage is between a man and a woman, because it is not the same as a gay union.
    Wrong. There are currently millions of people of the same sex who are married. That proves you wrong.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #472
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's only illegal in 33 states. Some states are more tolerant of perversion than others are, I guess. Animal cruelty is a red herring that has nothing to do with the laws against bestiality. Where it's illegal, it's illegal because people think it's too disgusting and unnatural to be allowed.
    Some states simply have different laws than others. The people in those states do not consider it wrong (although I'm willing to bet there are some sort of laws that cover it in those states). The key to why those states can have that difference in opinion though in this matter is because animals do not have rights under the Constitution. Animals cannot challenge a law that doesn't protect them from abuse.

    Humans cannot marry animals because animals cannot sign the marriage contract (a legal requirement), cannot fulfill the necessary requirements of taking on certain responsibilities that come with being a person's legal spouse, and they are not considered legal kin to anyone in any form. If you don't like these facts, then fight to change them. I wouldn't hold my breath though. You have very little case.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #473
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,552

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    This is what the judge ordered in the case against Texas,

    Preliminary injunction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    There's no way in Hell the Judge met all these requirements for the injunction.

    That there is a substantial likelihood of success on the merits of the case,
    That they face a substantial threat of irreparable damage or injury if the injunction is not granted,
    That the balance of harms weighs in favor of the party seeking the preliminary injunction
    That the grant of an injunction would serve the public interest.
    ...........................

    Garcia issued a preliminary injunction on the state's ban, citing Supreme Court precedent. However, Garcia issued a stay on his order, meaning the ban will remain in effect pending appeal.

    “Today’s court decision is not made in defiance of the great people of Texas or the Texas Legislature, but in compliance with the U.S. Constitution and Supreme Court precedent,” Garcia wrote in the order. “Without a rational relation to a legitimate governmental purpose, state-imposed inequality can find no refuge in our U.S. Constitution.”
    The "balance of harms" refers to the threatened injury to the party seeking the preliminary injunction as compared to the harm that the other party may suffer from the injunction.

    The United States Supreme Court revisited the requirements for obtaining a preliminary injunction in Winter v. NRDiC, Inc., 555 U.S. 7 (2008).[1] The Court changed one requirement.

    "A plaintiff seeking a preliminary injunction must establish that he is likely to succeed on the merits, that he is likely to suffer irreparable harm in the absence of preliminary relief, that the balance of equities tips in his favor, and that an injunction is in the public interest."

  4. #474
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Mixture of fact and opinion. The states where it's legal are a fact. And many are HARDCORE BLUE STATES. Also a fact. I'm thinking you're fact-challenged, my friend.
    You mean like how you keep declaring bestiality is only illlegal because it's unnatural and disgusting?



    C'mon....you continue to embarrass yourself here by such an obvious...and failed...attempt at actually continuing the discussion on any supportable grounds at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #475
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Aren't we making the same point.
    but as an aside why wouldn't you want the same protections?
    Yes. I think I replied to the wrong quote. My partner and I sat down and made a list a while back of what benefits marriage would offer and what benefits we would each have to give up in order to be married. Strictly from a legal standpoint, a marriage license provided us with exactly nothing that we did not already have.

    On the other hand, if we were married legally, we would have two choices at tax time: married filing jointly or married filing separately. We save many thousands of dollars each year by not combining our income. Two single people (who pool their money) have a lot more money left over after taxes than two people who are married filing separately.

    Everything else has been done via estate planning. We have wills, living trusts, and powers of attorney that allow my partner to be my next of kin and inherit all of my money and make decisions for me in the event of my incapacity (and vice versa).

    In our situation it just doesn't make sense.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  6. #476
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You mean like how you keep declaring bestiality is only illlegal because it's unnatural and disgusting?



    C'mon....you continue to embarrass yourself here by such an obvious...and failed...attempt at actually continuing the discussion on any supportable grounds at all.
    I never claimed bestiality is only illegal because it's unnatural and disgusting. It could, theoretically, be illegal for a variety of other reason, as well, but the PRIMARY reason is because it's unnatural and disgusting. If you don't think that's a fact, just start a poll asking people to vote true or false on the statement that it's unnatural and disgusting. I probably forgot to mention vulgar before now, but add that to the list of appropriate adjectives.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #477
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I never claimed bestiality is only illegal because it's unnatural and disgusting. It could, theoretically, be illegal for a variety of other reason, as well, but the PRIMARY reason is because it's unnatural and disgusting. If you don't think that's a fact, just start a poll asking people to vote true or false on the statement that it's unnatural and disgusting. I probably forgot to mention vulgar before now, but add that to the list of appropriate adjectives.
    Sorry, it's up to you to prove your claim.

    And that poll would have nothing to do with the Constitutionality of the law.

    You really should give it up, your fascination with this subject is getting creepy. And it's been dismissed as relevant to SSM. So please get back on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #478
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I never claimed bestiality is only illegal because it's unnatural and disgusting. It could, theoretically, be illegal for a variety of other reason, as well, but the PRIMARY reason is because it's unnatural and disgusting. If you don't think that's a fact, just start a poll asking people to vote true or false on the statement that it's unnatural and disgusting. I probably forgot to mention vulgar before now, but add that to the list of appropriate adjectives.
    So, in your opinion, is "it's disgusting" by itself a reason to make something illegal?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #479
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    There's no way in Hell the Judge met all these requirements for the injunction.

    That there is a substantial likelihood of success on the merits of the case,
    That they face a substantial threat of irreparable damage or injury if the injunction is not granted,
    That the balance of harms weighs in favor of the party seeking the preliminary injunction
    That the grant of an injunction would serve the public interest.
    Do explain which criteria was not met, and why.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #480
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So, in your opinion, is "it's disgusting" by itself a reason to make something illegal?
    Yes. That's why we have lots of laws like "you can't take your clothes and make someone's eyes bleed" and "you can't have wild monkey sex with a real wild monkey". It's disgusting. Lots of people don't want you doing that shyte in their neighborhood. Or state. Or country.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 48 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •