Page 46 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #451
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    So says the tenth.
    The claim it is a 10th has been repeatedly refuted because it allows some states to discriminate...while other states are participating in the U.S. Constitution, which mandates equality.

  2. #452
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,151

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    The claim it is a 10th has been repeatedly refuted because it allows some states to discriminate...while other states are participating in the U.S. Constitution, which mandates equality.
    Hey you're the one throwing 'constitutional' around.

    Or are you just making **** up?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #453
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You can always think up some sort of alternative "reasoning" for bestiality laws that doesn't have anything to do with "it's icky", but I think we both know the real reason for these laws is because bestiality is disgusting and unnatural. Feel free to deny that if it suits your agenda, though.
    The reason is because it is cruel to have sex with other animals who don't know any better. Just because you cannot get beyond "it's icky" doesn't mean the rest of us cannot see more rational reasons for why people shouldn't and shouldn't be allowed to do it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #454
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Hey you're the one throwing 'constitutional' around.

    Or are you just making **** up?
    Uh...how have I made **** up?

  5. #455
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I didnt say everyone....but the "fact" that that's the way those states vote indicates the majority of their voter base...does it not?

    Um...do you know what facts are? I'm starting to think this whole line of discussion would have been shorter if you were clear on that.
    I know what facts are. I'm not sure that you do. First off, the red state / blue state nonsense is completely absurd when generalizing about what small groups of people do. Secondly, to assert that bestiality being legal is a "red state thing" just shows ignorance that's piled on top of thinking that everyone in red states is conservative - or that some small deviant group like animal lovers would mostly be conservative if in a "red state". That just shows a pitiful ignorance of statistical logic. Here are the states where bestiality is not illegal:

    Alabama, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kentucky, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming and the District of Columbia. Lots of HARDCORE blue states in that list.

    And now with this, we see that the fact that animals can't consent has ZIP ZERO NADA to do with the fact that it's illegal. It's illegal because it's unnatural and disgusting and people in 33 states won't tolerate it. I expect liberals will push harder to get more states to legalize it, though. Perversions are part of the liberal agenda.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #456
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Very good point and completely (although not exclusively) true. This however has nothing to do with whether gay marriage should be legal.
    Gay marriage should be legal because when two opposite sex people choose to engage in a relationship they receive certain protections and benefits under the law. Two same sex persons making the same choice should be exactly protected. The Bill of Rights guarantees this.
    I would argue that the constitution guarantees equal protection. Marriage is a legal contract and so therefore if a man and woman can enter into a contract that provides them certain legal privileges and protections (and also obligations) then two men must be allowed to enter into a contract with the same privileges, protections and obligations.

    As a partnered gay man, I still can't for the life of me figure out why in the hell people care what that contract is called. You can call it marriage, civil union, or XYZ relationship contract. I could not care less what you call it, but I should be provided with the same protections if I want them (which I do not).
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  7. #457
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The reason is because it is cruel to have sex with other animals who don't know any better. Just because you cannot get beyond "it's icky" doesn't mean the rest of us cannot see more rational reasons for why people shouldn't and shouldn't be allowed to do it.
    It's only illegal in 33 states. Some states are more tolerant of perversion than others are, I guess. Animal cruelty is a red herring that has nothing to do with the laws against bestiality. Where it's illegal, it's illegal because people think it's too disgusting and unnatural to be allowed.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #458
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,151

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Uh...how have I made **** up?
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

    Who voted against SSM in Texas? The People!
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #459
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,782

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I know what facts are. I'm not sure that you do. First off, the red state / blue state nonsense is completely absurd when generalizing about what small groups of people do. Secondly, to assert that bestiality being legal is a "red state thing" just shows ignorance that's piled on top of thinking that everyone in red states is conservative - or that some small deviant group like animal lovers would mostly be conservative if in a "red state". That just shows a pitiful ignorance of statistical logic. Here are the states where bestiality is not illegal:

    Alabama, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kentucky, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming and the District of Columbia. Lots of HARDCORE blue states in that list.

    And now with this, we see that the fact that animals can't consent has ZIP ZERO NADA to do with the fact that it's illegal. It's illegal because it's unnatural and disgusting and people in 33 states won't tolerate it. I expect liberals will push harder to get more states to legalize it, though. Perversions are part of the liberal agenda.
    *sigh* More opinion dressed up as fact. We'll get you a dictionary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I didnt say everyone....but the "fact" that that's the way those states vote indicates the majority of their voter base...does it not?

    Um...do you know what facts are? I'm starting to think this whole line of discussion would have been shorter if you were clear on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #460
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Hey you're the one throwing 'constitutional' around.

    Or are you just making **** up?

    DID YOU READ my post #436?


    Texas' Constitutional Amendment was rightfully declared UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Why?

    Judge Garcia echoed his colleagues Wednesday with respect to Texas, saying that "equal treatment of all individuals under the law is not merely an aspiration it is a constitutional mandate."

    "(The Texas law) is unconstitutional because, without a rational relationship to a legitimate governmental purpose, it denies same-sex couples the benefits, dignity and value of celebrating marriage and having their out-of-state marriage recognized," the judge said.

    In his ruling, Garcia raised notable arguments from some supporters of same-sex marriage bans: that allowing such unions would hurt children raised in them, that it would stifle procreation and that it "could lead to the recognition of bigamy, incest, pedophilia and group marriage."

    The judge then shot down the defense's case. "Procreation is not and has never been a qualification for marriage" and "tradition, alone, cannot form a rational basis for a law."
    My comment was based on the Judge's statement noted in RED. This is one reason why the 10th is not a valid argument.


    Texas ban on same-sex marriage struck down - CNN.com

Page 46 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •