Page 130 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #1291
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There is no evidence whatsoever to support a resurrection. In fact, the whole crucifixion story is nonsense, it was Roman custom to leave the corpses on the crosses to rot, especially in the case of capital criminals, which Jesus certainly would have been. Therefore, he wouldn't have been given to Joseph of Aramathea, he wouldn't have been placed in a tomb and he could not have risen from the dead. The whole story is absurd and not in keeping with the facts.
    No evidence does not equate to debunked. Debunked requires proof against.

  2. #1292
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Let's just start with the original claim that the resurection has been debunked. Got any links?
    This question alone illustrates why it took humanity 5600 years since the dawn of civilization to reach the Age of Enlightenment.

  3. #1293
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    This question alone illustrates why it took humanity 5600 years since the dawn of civilization to reach the Age of Enlightenment.
    Asking for proof of something? I would think that would be something they would want in the Age of Enlightenment.

  4. #1294
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Asking for proof of something? I would think that would be something they would want in the Age of Enlightenment.
    In principle, yes, you just have the placement of it wrong.

    If everyone could claim that something was real (for example, the resurrection) and that it was up to everyone else to prove it wrong, then just about every claim would de facto have to be accepted as true. And if everything is accepted as true, the none of the truly accurate claims can lead the way to technological progress because there's no logical way of weeding out the bad ones. However, the scientific method came along and said, "If you claim a thing to be true, then you must show supporting evidence for it." This was a major buzzkill because, again, it ended up filtering out lots of wrong ideas, allowing the correct ones to stand above the rest.

    So, that being said, we have this event called "the resurrection." We wouldn't be discussing it if it hadn't come up in the first place, so naturally that's where the conversation begins. Therefore, what is your supporting evidence for it?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 09-03-14 at 12:57 AM.

  5. #1295
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    In principle, yes, you just have the placement of it wrong.

    If everyone could claim that something was real (for example, the resurrection) and that it was up to everyone else to prove it wrong, then just about every claim would de facto have to be accepted as true. And if everything is accepted as true, the none of the truly accurate claims can lead the way to technological progress because there's no logical way of weeding out the bad ones. However, the scientific method came along and said, "If you claim a thing to be true, then you must show supporting evidence for it." This was a major buzzkill because, again, it ended up filtering out lots of wrong ideas, allowing the correct ones to stand above the rest.

    So, that being said, we have this event called "the resurrection." We wouldn't be discussing it if it hadn't come up in the first place, so naturally that's where the conversation begins. Therefore, what is your supporting evidence for it?
    I would never tell someone they should or should not believe in the resurection. I wouldnt even mention it since it is a matter of faith. However, if someone tells me something is debunked, they are trying to convince me of something and therefore needs to provide proof. Heck, if it is debunked and you dont want me to believe in it, it would seem like you would be chomping at the bit to provide the proof of the resurections debunking.

  6. #1296
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I would never tell someone they should or should not believe in the resurection. I wouldnt even mention it since it is a matter of faith. However, if someone tells me something is debunked, they are trying to convince me of something and therefore needs to provide proof. Heck, if it is debunked and you dont want me to believe in it, it would seem like you would be chomping at the bit to provide the proof of the resurections debunking.
    The use of the word "debunk" in this case would refer to no evidence having been presented that it's true. And as no such evidence has been presented, "debunked" is good enough. Now, in stiff and formal discussion, a scientist would be careful not to specifically state that a claim is untrue, but rather that no evidence has yet been forthcoming in support of the claim, and leave it at that. But after a certain number of claims and failures to support them, the scientist knows, and we know, that those claims are bull****.

  7. #1297
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,129

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    No evidence does not equate to debunked. Debunked requires proof against.
    The fact that there is no mechanism for someone being 'resurrected' after 3 days dead is proof enough, since no one can show it can even happen to begin with.
    Last edited by RAMOSS; 09-03-14 at 01:19 AM.

  8. #1298
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The use of the word "debunk" in this case would refer to no evidence having been presented that it's true. And as no such evidence has been presented, "debunked" is good enough. Now, in stiff and formal discussion, a scientist would be careful not to specifically state that a claim is untrue, but rather that no evidence has yet been forthcoming in support of the claim, and leave it at that. But after a certain number of claims and failures to support them, the scientist knows, and we know, that those claims are bull****.
    Then say what you mean and mean what you say. Debunk means proof has been given; if all you want to say is there is no proof for something I wouldnt have even spoke up.

  9. #1299
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    The fact that there is no mechanism for someone being 'resurrected' after 3 days dead is proof enough, since no one can show it can even happen to begin with.
    Then say what you mean and mean what you say. Debunk means proof has been given; if all you want to say is there is no proof for something I wouldnt have even spoke up.

  10. #1300
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,129

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Then say what you mean and mean what you say. Debunk means proof has been given; if all you want to say is there is no proof for something I wouldnt have even spoke up.
    It's like this..we ahve positive evidence that people who die, and are rotting in the grave for three days, stay dead. There is no evidence other than unsupported religious claims and dogma that principle has been violated.

    Therefore, we have evidence, that just doesn't happen. We have billions off examples of that not happening.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •