Page 107 of 137 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1363

Thread: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?[W:667]

  1. #1061
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    As I've said many times, I'm a counter to the homosexual lobby propaganda. If others like me and I don't counter this scourge, no one will.

    So if you stop, so will I.
    You're not a counter. The difference is... and we can see it clearly in this thread, is that you present false information and concepts that lack logic or confuse opinion and fact. If you attempted to provide more honest information, you might actually be able to make the claim that you are a "counter", but you don't, so all you are is just another in the long line of anti-gay propagandists with no information that has any value.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #1062
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    I'm sure you think the creation of an enormously powerful central government (complete with mechanisms for constant revenue) and the disposal of God from it's institutions and the the acceptance of debauchery as a norm is just nifty.
    And I'm sure you'd much prefer an era where it was OK to kill someone because of the color of their skin, their religion, or their sexual orientation, where most were illiterate, and you were either very rich or you eked out a meager subsistence. That's what conservatism seems to stand for in your book.

    The Heritage Foundation is a notorious extreme right wing organization that has no credibility in a legitimate discussion. Therefore, anything they say is irrelevant.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #1063
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    What's really sad is you ask me the same meaningless questions over and over. I'm not debating this for my purposes rather for all our salvation.

    You are not required read.
    Good. I'm not debating this for my purposes either, but to make sure that any unsuspecting person who wanders in this thread recognizes just how invalid anything you say actually is, so they won't fall under the same non-credible belief system that you are professing.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1064
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Nope, that is not all that we are doing, it is merely one part.
    I don't know what you mean. Who is "we," and exactly what are you doing?

    The two situations are so disimlar that NONE of the core arguments for SSM could be used for public nudity.
    Now why is that? That's not at all clear to me. And if you don't like my public nudity analogy, feel free to substitute adult incest, bigamy, bestiality, or any of the other acts Justice Scalia mentioned in his Lawrence dissent. After more than two hundred years during which, in every state of this country, continuously, it was assumed that promoting the moral convictions of a majority was a legitimate government interest--and during which two hundred years the Supreme Court never even suggested anything to the contrary--that Court has arbitrarily decreed that it is not.

    What you don't want to admit is that the only reason for laws that make a number of sex-related acts crimes is that the majorities that made those laws believe those acts are immoral and unacceptable. If promoting that belief through laws is no longer a legitimate government interest, I'd like to know just what constitutional grounds those laws--thousands of them, in every state--rest on. Please tell us that.

  5. #1065
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,734

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    No one gives a damn what they want to do in their state--let them go around scaring the livestock if that makes their day. I don't get to Kansas often, and I don't have to look at them. But suppose the people who pushed for this weren't satisfied with just Kansas?

    What if they were strident crusaders who were determined to force their views on everyone else, so that they wouldn't feel like the deviants they are? What if they tried the homosexuals' tack and constantly shrieked to anyone who would listen that allstate laws against nudism are unconstitutional, because they are motivated by nothing but naked hostility (couldn't resist) toward nudists--and therefore there they don't promote any legitimate government interest?



    Point well taken.
    I personally see the public health issues that alot of naked people in public areas may comprise. However I have not seen evidence againts it nor heard support for that particular activity. I would hear it and if it was publicly not a health issue or there were some restrictions to keep it from being one, I would support it.

    Lord knows, I dont want to see at least 80% of the population naked and it would be pretty disgusting...but if there were no reasons beyond my personal feelings? Yes, I would support it.

    People should be no more influenced to do anything wrong (have sex??? is that wrong? be incited to rape??) seeing naked people than they are incited to any immorality or harmful acts by homosexuality. You cant be 'turned gay.'

    Constitutionally, there is no reason that nekkid people should not be able to walk around in public. If there is no harm demonstrated....it is an infringement on personal liberty and unnecessary govt intrusion. Why does any personal freedom that harms no one need to demonstrate a legit govt interest? Does skateboarding? That's a freaking nuisance. Causes alot of harm to those individuals. How about motorcycles? How about pot? Prostitution?

    Anything for which there is NOT any legitimate govt or social harm should be legal. Period. And let's face it....things like cigarettes and alcohol DO cause social harm. Increase public health costs.

    There is no rational nor Constitutional reason to prevent SSM. And that does serve a legitimate govt purpose, as I've pointed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #1066
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I don't know what you mean. Who is "we," and exactly what are you doing?
    I meant supporters of same sex marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Now why is that? That's not at all clear to me. And if you don't like my public nudity analogy, feel free to substitute adult incest, bigamy, bestiality, or any of the other acts Justice Scalia mentioned in his Lawrence dissent. After more than two hundred years during which, in every state of this country, continuously, it was assumed that promoting the moral convictions of a majority was a legitimate government interest--and during which two hundred years the Supreme Court never even suggested anything to the contrary--that Court has arbitrarily decreed that it is not.

    What you don't want to admit is that the only reason for laws that make a number of sex-related acts crimes is that the majorities that made those laws believe those acts are immoral and unacceptable. If promoting that belief through laws is no longer a legitimate government interest, I'd like to know just what constitutional grounds those laws--thousands of them, in every state--rest on. Please tell us that.
    I thought you were referring to SSM, the subject of this thread, and not the legality of sexual relations, not the subject of this thread, between people of the same sex. If you want to start another thread about the question you are asking, please do and I will participate in that one.

  7. #1067
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Thanks for the update on your local baker. Glad to see he's doing well.

    There have been several of these cases (at least the ones made public) around the country. This addresses a couple to which I was referring.

    Oregon bakery shuts down after gay rights attacks | Deseret News National
    Stand corrected. It does stand to reason there would be more than one. The Masterpiece Cake Shop, however, was the one the garnered the most national attention and was discussed extensively on this board last December (173 pages of posts).

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...292-647-a.html

    So, I "assumed" (as we know that is always dangerous) that was the one you were referring to....

  8. #1068
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I meant supporters of same sex marriage.



    I thought you were referring to SSM, the subject of this thread, and not the legality of sexual relations, not the subject of this thread, between people of the same sex. If you want to start another thread about the question you are asking, please do and I will participate in that one.
    Once again, I don't understand what you are saying. Another thread about what question I am asking? You are the one who is now introducing the issue of the legality of homosexual sodomy, not me. Why, I have no idea. Anyone who knows even the ABC's of this area of law is well aware the Supreme Court held in Lawrence v. Texas in 2003 that state laws criminalizing sodomy are unconstitutional. Sure, the decision's a result-driven piece of fish wrap whose legal reasoning (if it can be dignified as that) is so thoroughly disingenuous as to border on being flat dishonest--but there it is.

    I first spun out an analogy to public nudity to poke fun at the vapid, uninformed assertions I've seen on various threads that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right. The people who make them pretend to understand the constitutional law involved, but before long the pretense becomes obvious. They've never even read the relevant Supreme Court decisions, for God's sake. But they don't care about the constitutional issues anyway, because their narrow minds are already made up.

    I then mentioned bigamy, adult incest, and bestiality as examples of sex-related crimes Justice Scalia had listed in Lawrence. What do any of these acts have to do with "the legality of sexual relations, not the subject of this thread, between people of the same sex"--which you claim is the question I am asking? Nothing whatever. So again, why your claim?

  9. #1069
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I personally see the public health issues that alot of naked people in public areas may comprise. However I have not seen evidence againts it nor heard support for that particular activity. I would hear it and if it was publicly not a health issue or there were some restrictions to keep it from being one, I would support it.

    Lord knows, I dont want to see at least 80% of the population naked and it would be pretty disgusting...but if there were no reasons beyond my personal feelings? Yes, I would support it.

    People should be no more influenced to do anything wrong (have sex??? is that wrong? be incited to rape??) seeing naked people than they are incited to any immorality or harmful acts by homosexuality. You cant be 'turned gay.'

    Constitutionally, there is no reason that nekkid people should not be able to walk around in public. If there is no harm demonstrated....it is an infringement on personal liberty and unnecessary govt intrusion. Why does any personal freedom that harms no one need to demonstrate a legit govt interest? Does skateboarding? That's a freaking nuisance. Causes alot of harm to those individuals. How about motorcycles? How about pot? Prostitution?

    Anything for which there is NOT any legitimate govt or social harm should be legal. Period. And let's face it....things like cigarettes and alcohol DO cause social harm. Increase public health costs.
    The things you mention are public policy questions that you or anyone else who lives in your state is free to debate to your heart's content. I happen to believe it's reasonable for a majority to enforce its view that certain acts are immoral and unacceptable by making those acts crimes. And I defend the right of the majority in a state to pass laws to do that, however ridiculous I personally may consider their moral views. If the people of the state of Miasma think the sight of animals' genitals is indecent, and pass a law requiring owners to diaper their pets in all public places, that's simply no damned business of anyone who's not a resident of Miasma.

    But if most people in your state think there should be no laws against masturbating on the street in broad daylight, or buggering your dog in front of city hall, or entering into an incestuous homosexual marriage with your son, or God knows what else, that's your lookout. As you seem to suggest (for the most part, at least--your remark about "need to demonstrate a legit govt interest" is confused) those things are just not constitutional issues.

    There is no rational nor Constitutional reason to prevent SSM. And that does serve a legitimate govt purpose, as I've pointed out.
    There is no constitutional reason to prevent it or require it or anything else, because it is simply not a constitutional issue. And it is not same-sex marriage that needs to serve a legitimate government purpose. That is part of the standard ordinary state laws have to meet in order to survive a Fourteenth Amendment due process or equal protection challenge. A garden-variety state law has to be rationally related to furthering a legitimate government interest.

    It doesn't take much to pass that "rational basis" test. Out of respect for the separation of powers, courts defer strongly to the legislature that made the law when they apply this test. Just as a person charged with a crime starts out being presumed innocent, duly enacted state laws are presumed constitutional.

    The party claiming the law somehow violates due process or equal protection bears the burden of proving the law is not rationally related to furthering any conceivable legitimate government interest. That's usually hard to do, because in most cases the Supreme Court has been very reluctant to tell the people of a state that their policy decisions are not legitimate and have to be changed.

  10. #1070
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,143

    Re: Do you support legalizing gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I never said that he stayed out of people's lives. I said that he preached his word, talked to people, try to persuade them, but in the end he left the people to make their own decisions and never attempted to get anything he preached placed into law. You on the other hand want your particular set or morality placed into law despite that others follow other religions that do not have such restrictions. Do you feel that all businesses should be closed on Sunday's?
    a Fundamentalist I'm not. I don't want Gays corrupting the sanctity marriage and would like cheaters [in a relationship] to pay some sort of price for their indiscretions and you make me out to be a tyrant. 8)

    Assumptions
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •