Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

  1. #1
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #2
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,183

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.


  3. #3
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Well that's bold faced mischaracterization of what happened. Let's try a more rational and accurate report....

    Could voter ID law tilt North Carolina Senate race? Foes decry judge's ruling (+video) - CSMonitor.com

    n a ruling late Friday, US District Judge Thomas Schroeder refused to issue a preliminary injunction to block the 2013 state voter ID law.

    But the judge also rejected a motion by North Carolina officials that sought the complete dismissal of legal challenges to the new law.

    Instead, Judge Schroeder ruled that the plaintiffs had raised “plausible claims” about the potential discriminatory intent and impact of the new voting requirements. He said those claims would be examined during a civil trial set for July 2015.
    Basically the judge decided to do not much at all until the 2015 trial, he didn't give a win to either side.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #5
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,805

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Any type of voter ID act by just one party will continue to backfire on said party as we saw in several "purple" states in 2012 with an actual increase in registration. Next my right-wing friends will accuse of voter fraud and on it goes. The real story is in the fineprint of the rest of the bill not having to do with ID--you know, the suppression stuff .
    Physics is Phun

  6. #6
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Any type of voter ID act by just one party will continue to backfire on said party as we saw in several "purple" states in 2012 with an actual increase in registration. Next my right-wing friends will accuse of voter fraud and on it goes. The real story is in the fineprint of the rest of the bill not having to do with ID--you know, the suppression stuff .
    They are all purple states.

  7. #7
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Well that's bold faced mischaracterization of what happened. Let's try a more rational and accurate report....

    Could voter ID law tilt North Carolina Senate race? Foes decry judge's ruling (+video) - CSMonitor.com



    Basically the judge decided to do not much at all until the 2015 trial, he didn't give a win to either side.
    No, this was an attempt to enjoin, which was denied by the court. Perhaps you should actually read what the hearing was for and what the courts decision was. It's right there, attached to the article. Read it.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #8
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, this was an attempt to enjoin, which was denied by the court. Perhaps you should actually read what the hearing was for and what the courts decision was. It's right there, attached to the article. Read it.
    Both sides were trying to get a final decision, neither got one. Get over yourself.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  9. #9
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Both sides were trying to get a final decision, neither got one. Get over yourself.
    The DOJ filed the complaint, hun, they lost. It's common for the defendant to file a counter. You should try to figure out how the court system works before trying to sound knowledgable.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #10
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: DOJ loses NC voter ID case in federal court.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The DOJ filed the complaint, hun, they lost. It's common for the defendant to file a counter. You should try to figure out how the court system works before trying to sound knowledgable.
    Doesn't change the reported fact that NC was trying to use the same preceding to get it entirely dismissed. I stand by my comments as accurate.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •