Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    11-11-15 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,523

    What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Members of Congress may want to check if their staffers are actually hard at work on their computers, because a few people (but mostly one prolific individual) seem to spend their days trolling Wikipedia. Today, the site has been edited at about 20 times by people with congressional IP addresses.

    And one person, who has made about 30 edits in the last 48 hours, has been focusing on some politicized topics, like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, the Cato Institute, and many others.

    Under the IP address 143.231.249.138 (which has apparently been blocked in the past for "disruptive edits"), he (or she) today changed an entry about Snowden, calling him an "American traitor who defected to Russia." Regarding Manning, the user took to the talk page, asking, "Why is this man referred to throughout the article by his alias? He is much more well-known under his real name." As far the Cato Institute goes, the individual added the fact that the policy institute is hosting a talk about congressional staff editing Wikipedia.

    What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    What source of information is trustworthy these days?

  2. #2
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Ehhh people troll Wikipedia all the time. Luckily once you change something and its flat out false, it gets changed back pretty damn fast. Is it worrying someone in the congressional office is doing this? Yea. But my guess its just some college intern with too much free time.


  3. #3
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Studies have been done and show Wikipedia as surprisingly accurate, but yes, this stuff does still happen. I'm less interested in the Wikipedia aspect and more interested in *who* is doing this. This person needs to be outed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #4
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,153

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    Members of Congress may want to check if their staffers are actually hard at work on their computers, because a few people (but mostly one prolific individual) seem to spend their days trolling Wikipedia. Today, the site has been edited at about 20 times by people with congressional IP addresses.

    And one person, who has made about 30 edits in the last 48 hours, has been focusing on some politicized topics, like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, the Cato Institute, and many others.

    Under the IP address 143.231.249.138 (which has apparently been blocked in the past for "disruptive edits"), he (or she) today changed an entry about Snowden, calling him an "American traitor who defected to Russia." Regarding Manning, the user took to the talk page, asking, "Why is this man referred to throughout the article by his alias? He is much more well-known under his real name." As far the Cato Institute goes, the individual added the fact that the policy institute is hosting a talk about congressional staff editing Wikipedia.

    What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    What source of information is trustworthy these days?
    Interesting.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,314

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    Members of Congress may want to check if their staffers are actually hard at work on their computers, because a few people (but mostly one prolific individual) seem to spend their days trolling Wikipedia. Today, the site has been edited at about 20 times by people with congressional IP addresses.

    And one person, who has made about 30 edits in the last 48 hours, has been focusing on some politicized topics, like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, the Cato Institute, and many others.

    Under the IP address 143.231.249.138 (which has apparently been blocked in the past for "disruptive edits"), he (or she) today changed an entry about Snowden, calling him an "American traitor who defected to Russia." Regarding Manning, the user took to the talk page, asking, "Why is this man referred to throughout the article by his alias? He is much more well-known under his real name." As far the Cato Institute goes, the individual added the fact that the policy institute is hosting a talk about congressional staff editing Wikipedia.

    What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    What source of information is trustworthy these days?
    Why should a person from a Congressional ip address be less trustworthy than anyone else?

    And Snowden is a traitor and he is living in Russia.

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Why should a person from a Congressional ip address be less trustworthy than anyone else?

    And Snowden is a traitor and he is living in Russia.
    Subjective opinion. Not fact based on legal conviction.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    Members of Congress may want to check if their staffers are actually hard at work on their computers, because a few people (but mostly one prolific individual) seem to spend their days trolling Wikipedia. Today, the site has been edited at about 20 times by people with congressional IP addresses.

    And one person, who has made about 30 edits in the last 48 hours, has been focusing on some politicized topics, like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, the Cato Institute, and many others.

    Under the IP address 143.231.249.138 (which has apparently been blocked in the past for "disruptive edits"), he (or she) today changed an entry about Snowden, calling him an "American traitor who defected to Russia." Regarding Manning, the user took to the talk page, asking, "Why is this man referred to throughout the article by his alias? He is much more well-known under his real name." As far the Cato Institute goes, the individual added the fact that the policy institute is hosting a talk about congressional staff editing Wikipedia.

    What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    What source of information is trustworthy these days?
    Uh, Wikipedia?

    Under the IP address 143.231.249.138 (which has apparently been blocked in the past for "disruptive edits")

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,314

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Subjective opinion. Not fact based on legal conviction.
    No . He has not been convicted. But he has publicly admitted to acts that are treason. Now, he might have been lying and it was someone else, but it does seem unlikely in this case. So I don't think your subjective opinion can stand.

  9. #9
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    No . He has not been convicted. But he has publicly admitted to acts that are treason. Now, he might have been lying and it was someone else, but it does seem unlikely in this case. So I don't think your subjective opinion can stand.
    I don't consider him a traitor I consider him a whistle blower.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,314

    Re: What Congress Edited on Wikipedia Today: Snowden, Manning, Cato, More

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I don't consider him a traitor I consider him a whistle blower.
    The one does not exclude being the other. But he must go to jail. He did huge damage to the US internationally that was unnecessary to achieve domestic results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •