Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 173

Thread: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

  1. #41
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    I'm confused for a number of reasons, but from a theological perspective especially, I thought only the descendants of Adam have original sin. Does the bible teach that all other living things go to hell?


    I thought it was a limbo/oblivion deal for non humans
    .



    Maybe we should check with Ken Ham on that.

  2. #42
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    To be fair, the movie actually did have an explanation for the inherent silliness of that plotline.

    In a deleted scene, it was revealed that the crashed alien fighter was the basis for pretty much all of our modern electronics and computer technology.

    It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense (kind of primitive tech for such an advanced civilization, after all), but at least it shows that they thought about it.
    Mph. I still don't buy it. Here, time to out myself as old: during the 90's nobody could agree on what means of memory storage to use, whether to use zip drives, this drive, that drive, something-else drive, let alone what kind of ****ing cord to use to connect them to your computer. You could walk into any college campus computer lab and attached to each computer would be up to ten different external memory drives. Sure, the dust has settled somewhat as most people have more or less decided that usb is good enough. But no, we're also moving on to usb2, optical jacks, firewire and I think everything's going to get real messy again. Finally, you upgrade your computer and update your OS, and bam, Photoshop doesn't work anymore and I can't connect to the internet.

    So no, I don't expect software created on our hardware, even developed at heart from the alien technology, to integrate with the alien hardware. It's really no different than a 19th century scientist "integrating" with Mac OSX Lion by connecting electrodes to the monitor.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Like we did to the Native Americans and other people on this planet, eh?
    Pretty much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Mph. I still don't buy it. Here, time to out myself as old: during the 90's nobody could agree on what means of memory storage to use, whether to use zip drives, this drive, that drive, something-else drive, let alone what kind of ****ing cord to use to connect them to your computer. You could walk into any college campus computer lab and attached to each computer would be up to ten different external memory drives. Sure, the dust has settled somewhat as most people have more or less decided that usb is good enough. But no, we're also moving on to usb2, optical jacks, firewire and I think everything's going to get real messy again. Finally, you upgrade your computer and update your OS, and bam, Photoshop doesn't work anymore and I can't connect to the internet.

    So no, I don't expect software created on our hardware, even developed at heart from the alien technology, to integrate with the alien hardware. It's really no different than a 19th century scientist "integrating" with Mac OSX Lion by connecting electrodes to the monitor.
    All true enough. Like I said, it's not like the idea makes a terrible amount of sense.

    However, as far as "Hollywood logic" goes, I guess it's passable.

    It's not any worse than say... The plot of Hackers, DieHard 4, or any number of other movies focused around computer technology.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    I'm confused for a number of reasons, but from a theological perspective especially, I thought only the descendants of Adam have original sin. Does the bible teach that all other living things go to hell?


    I thought it was a limbo/oblivion deal for non humans.
    It's the bible for crying out loud, don't take it seriously and you won't be confused.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #45
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It's the bible for crying out loud, don't take it seriously and you won't be confused.
    Im interested in all sorts of cultures and belief systems. I like trying to understand things I don't necessarily subscribe to. Why would that be objectionable?

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,373

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    We should stop looking for them because if we found them very very bad things would likely happen to us.
    Don't watch so much TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #47
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Don't watch so much TV.
    If it was because of tv I'd believe that the only difference between us and aliens is they have little bumps on their foreheads and that we could have sex with them indiscriminately. No, I'm getting my information from the fact that evolution has turned all living things on earth into complete assholes, and Stephen Hawking agrees.

  8. #48
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,373

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If it was because of tv I'd believe that the only difference between us and aliens is they have little bumps on their foreheads and that we could have sex with them indiscriminately. No, I'm getting my information from the fact that evolution has turned all living things on earth into complete assholes, and Stephen Hawking agrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,003

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If it was because of tv I'd believe that the only difference between us and aliens is they have little bumps on their foreheads and that we could have sex with them indiscriminately. No, I'm getting my information from the fact that evolution has turned all living things on earth into complete assholes, and Stephen Hawking agrees.
    I think you just insulted me and my pet turtle!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  10. #50
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're rolling your eyes at me? Apdst, don't take this the wrong way, and I genuinely, truly respect what you have to say on the topic of alien life, their possible behavior and anything else science related, and it's not the fact that I would sooner take Stephen Hawking's opinion over yours, but that I would sooner heed the opinion of a vacuum cleaner over yours.

    Nothing personal.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •