Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 173

Thread: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

  1. #151
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The question of whether FTL is plausible pretty much sorts out the rest. Nothing in the universe has ever been known to exceed the speed of light, so asserting that finding alien life is 100000X more likely than many things is pretty absurd for several reasons, not the least of which is the implausibility of travel many times faster than the speed of light and the ability to generate the infinite energy required to do it.
    According to the theory of special relativity you need infinite energy, however there are instances of FTL particles like Tachyons. Even if you don't travel at light speed you can still traverse within your own galaxy, we're a tiny tiny tiny spec in our galaxy, it would certainly be justified to assume that within our galaxy is alien life. Intelligent alien life? Maybe not, but alien life in general? Sure.

    This thread talks only about aliens, plants can be aliens, insects, etc. If we get in to the realm of intelligent alien life then the chances probably go down drastically, but are still high in something so huge as our galaxy.

    As for the 100000X quote fine, on a technicality you ish got me there! I'll change it to: Likely
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  2. #152
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    According to the theory of special relativity you need infinite energy, however there are instances of FTL particles like Tachyons. Even if you don't travel at light speed you can still traverse within your own galaxy, we're a tiny tiny tiny spec in our galaxy, it would certainly be justified to assume that within our galaxy is alien life. Intelligent alien life? Maybe not, but alien life in general? Sure.

    This thread talks only about aliens, plants can be aliens, insects, etc. If we get in to the realm of intelligent alien life then the chances probably go down drastically, but are still high in something so huge as our galaxy.

    As for the 100000X quote fine, on a technicality you ish got me there! I'll change it to: Likely
    Change it to "likely" and drop the part about "more than many things" and your statement begins to make sense. I think it's likely that somewhere in the universe there are other forms of life, but it is entirely possible that we are unique in all the universe; one of countless and infinite bizarre phenomenon in an incomprehensibly vast array of possibilities.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #153
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Change it to "likely" and drop the part about "more than many things" and your statement begins to make sense. I think it's likely that somewhere in the universe there are other forms of life, but it is entirely possible that we are unique in all the universe; one of countless and infinite bizarre phenomenon in an incomprehensibly vast array of possibilities.
    Not dropping "many more things", are Galaxy is huge, for comparison look at this picture.

    we-are-here.jpg

    Anything Alien be it intelligent or not is highly likely.

    Milky Way - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    100-400 billion stars, and at least as many planets.

    In our solar system that doesn't even reach 20 planets we have intelligent life.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  4. #154
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Not dropping "many more things", are Galaxy is huge, for comparison look at this picture.

    we-are-here.jpg

    Anything Alien be it intelligent or not is highly likely.

    Milky Way - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    100-400 billion stars, and at least as many planets.

    In our solar system that doesn't even reach 20 planets we have intelligent life.
    Here's what I was referring to: "Difference, aliens are 100000X more likely than most things"

    That sentence makes no sense. The number is one you made up on the spot and "more likely than most things" makes no sense. What does "most things" mean? Does that mean tables and chairs and trees and stones and cars? Would they be some of "most things"? If so, those things are 100% likely to exist.

    See what I mean? Just say that because of the immense vastness of the universe (or even just the galaxy, if you wish), it is likely that extraterrestrial life in one form or another exists. It would probably be the best reflection of what you really mean and it wouldn't sound ridiculous due to unnecessary ambiguities or arbitrary assignments.

    just sayin'.

    p.s. I still think it's silly to look for alien life, though. If it's so incredibly smart and technologically advanced that it can travel across the galaxy to us, if it wants us to know it exists, it would be certain that we did know and if it didn't want us to know it exists, we wouldn't be smart enough to detect it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #155
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Here's what I was referring to: "Difference, aliens are 100000X more likely than most things"

    That sentence makes no sense. The number is one you made up on the spot and "more likely than most things" makes no sense. What does "most things" mean? Does that mean tables and chairs and trees and stones and cars? Would they be some of "most things"? If so, those things are 100% likely to exist.

    See what I mean? Just say that because of the immense vastness of the universe (or even just the galaxy, if you wish), it is likely that extraterrestrial life in one form or another exists. It would probably be the best reflection of what you really mean and it wouldn't sound ridiculous due to unnecessary ambiguities or arbitrary assignments.

    just sayin'.
    Sooooo literallll, I understand there is no tone on the internet but you really thought I meant the 100000X comment EXACTLY like it sounded?

    Whatever, your entire argument was essentially based on a technicality, now you have absolutely nothing.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  6. #156
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Sooooo literallll, I understand there is no tone on the internet but you really thought I meant the 100000X comment EXACTLY like it sounded?

    Whatever, your entire argument was essentially based on a technicality, now you have absolutely nothing.
    Well, nevermind. You keep looking for life from outer space if you want. I just wish we'd stop funding such insanity with tax dollars.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #157
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Well, nevermind. You keep looking for life from outer space if you want. I just wish we'd stop funding such insanity with tax dollars.
    What are we funding?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  8. #158
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    What are we funding?
    What this thread was all about in the first place.

    NASA experts saying that they expect to find evidence of alien life within the next 20 years.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #159
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    What this thread was all about in the first place.
    Expecting to find aliens? How is that insanity? Not to mention I doubt that's the most or anywhere near the most of their spending, NASA is probably more worried about looking for ways to colonize MARS which would probably boost humanity so far ahead it would be considered the greatest thing humanity had ever done.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  10. #160
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Expecting to find aliens? How is that insanity? Not to mention I doubt that's the most or anywhere near the most of their spending, NASA is probably more worried about looking for ways to colonize MARS which would probably boost humanity so far ahead it would be considered the greatest thing humanity had ever done.
    It's as insane to be looking for extraterrestrial life as it is to argue we shouldn't be looking for them because God's going to send them to hell, anyway. Just my opinion. You're entitled to a completely different opinion if you wish.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •