Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 178

Thread: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

  1. #141
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by KokomoJojo View Post
    great comment!
    in fact they are far worse than the feds.
    I don't think they are worse, they just aren't any inherently better. Instead of one set of rules, you have 50 sets of rules, often which are contradictory and do not conceivably work together. The idea that states are better than the fed is ridiculous, I agree, just looking at states now, there are states I'd never set foot in because I hate their laws so much.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #142
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Haven't give them a shot yet. Others would continue the Dem/Rep duopoly expected different results from the same thing over and over again. That is the true definition of insanity.
    It's not the parties, it's the system. Even if a third party candidate did get elected, they'd have to play the political game, becoming inherently corrupt in the process, or they'd get nothing done and never get re-elected again. There's no way around it under our current system.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #143
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I will never understand why people become collectivists. In my state if I don't like what is going on I can go visit the SOB causing the problems. Power must be as close to the people as possible so the people can correct the problems.

    It fixes the biggest danger we have to our liberties, the federal government. Let's get back to states rights, Republicanism, and Federalism. It is time to kill the Leviathan.
    People can correct the problem now by voting for better candidates. Unfortunately there are no better candidates being put up by any party and it doesn't matter if it's local, state or federal elections, they all suck. People no longer run for office to make a difference, they run for office for power, control and money. The idea of public service doesn't exist in politics anymore, it's all about feathering your own nest and the nest of your party. Corruption exists everywhere. How many governors of Illinois are in prison right now? How many mayors of cities are in prison right now? These are all people who are voted into office by their constituents yet were crooks.

    And the idea that you can go "influence" a politician is childish. Violence or threats are immature. These people are elected collectively, just because you don't like it, doesn't give you the right to take them out on your own.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #144
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    People can correct the problem now by voting for better candidates. Unfortunately there are no better candidates being put up by any party and it doesn't matter if it's local, state or federal elections, they all suck. People no longer run for office to make a difference, they run for office for power, control and money. The idea of public service doesn't exist in politics anymore, it's all about feathering your own nest and the nest of your party. Corruption exists everywhere. How many governors of Illinois are in prison right now? How many mayors of cities are in prison right now? These are all people who are voted into office by their constituents yet were crooks.

    And the idea that you can go "influence" a politician is childish. Violence or threats are immature. These people are elected collectively, just because you don't like it, doesn't give you the right to take them out on your own.
    Congressional term limits would go a very long way towards fixing the legislative branch.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,774

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    This certainly is a step in the right direction. Many of us have been saying for years that we need to scrap the current tax code and go to a flat tax (or a similar simple system) that would make the IRS obsolete. One argument against it has been that eliminating the complex tax code would cause job loss because we would no longer pay billions of dollars a year in tax preparation. To me that seems like an argument for, not against.
    If you think a flat tax would make IRS or tax professionals obsolete, you don't understand a whole lot about tax or IRS. The easiest step to reduce tax prep fees for 10s of millions of individuals is to direct IRS to prepare the returns and send them out to individuals to add a couple things - charity, mortgage interest, taxes - then sign and send in. Most working people don't itemize and wouldn't need to do even that - just look it over, sign and be done till next year. That makes sense, however, so won't happen.

    Flat taxes are a way to hide tax cuts for the wealthy, and tax increases on the middle and upper middle class - itemizers, those with kids. It might do away with EITC and similar at the bottom. What they ALL do is shift taxes from the rich.... gosh, that's a shocker.

    But the current administration is either directly or indirently making it more plausible to end the IRS. cost saving aside, corruption has made the IRS ever more unlikable to the people. Due to the economic downfall, housing crash and artificially low interest rates, the most common deductible item (mortgage interest) is less common as home ownership rates are at their lowest in decades. Interest rates are held so low that fewer people are able to meet the $12,200 minimum level of deductions to be able to itemize, and that threshold continues to go up. In fact, those who CAN itemize are among top earners. The liberals should be pushing for a flat tax and dissolution of the IRS simply to uphold their hatred of the "rich". Reduced funding may be a political stunt, but what needs to happen is complete elimination of the department. There is simply no reason to try to repair a corrupt office that has ceased to be useful anyway.
    We could dissolve the "IRS" and then remake a new agency called "Real American Fair Tax Collection." It would do the same thing, maybe some names would change, but we wouldn't dismantle 10s of billions invested in technology etc. to collect taxes.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Congressional term limits would go a very long way towards fixing the legislative branch.
    No, we'd just keep replacing them with more crooks who have no concern with doing a good job to get re-elected, they will just grab what they can grab right now and forget doing anything for the good of the people who put them in office. Then they'll be replaced by someone else who will do the same thing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #147
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, we'd just keep replacing them with more crooks who have no concern with doing a good job to get re-elected, they will just grab what they can grab right now and forget doing anything for the good of the people who put them in office. Then they'll be replaced by someone else who will do the same thing.
    I disagree. One of the main reasons congress is so corrupt is that too many politicians make it a lifetime career. The longer they stay in office, the more entrenched their power becomes. If we had term limits, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid for instance would be gone.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And the Leftists claim that the GOP doesn't do anything! They did something and I think it's great. I think this is what the folks who represent the people are supposed to do.
    Yeah, let's make it LOTS easier to break the law by cheating on one's taxes! That will do WONDERS for tax revenue, won't it? Just ask Kansas how well they're doing since Brownback slashed their taxes....

    "Okay, people, this is what you're supposed to pay in taxes, but we're going to slash our ability to check up on you...so we're going to trust you to do what's right even though you know that you can more safely cheat on your taxes! Besides, since when do we need to pay for things like roads and bridges and military?"
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #149
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Yeah, let's make it LOTS easier to break the law by cheating on one's taxes! That will do WONDERS for tax revenue, won't it? Just ask Kansas how well they're doing since Brownback slashed their taxes....

    "Okay, people, this is what you're supposed to pay in taxes, but we're going to slash our ability to check up on you...so we're going to trust you to do what's right even though you know that you can more safely cheat on your taxes! Besides, since when do we need to pay for things like roads and bridges and military?"
    The DOJ needs to launch a credible investigation and pinch the people responsible and this wouldn't be necessary. Afterall, this is a government of the people, for the people and by the people. IOW, the people don't exist for the government to **** over for the government's gain. That's why this country was formed...remember?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The DOJ needs to launch a credible investigation and pinch the people responsible and this wouldn't be necessary. Afterall, this is a government of the people, for the people and by the people. IOW, the people don't exist for the government to **** over for the government's gain. That's why this country was formed...remember?
    And why did our Founding Fathers choose a strong central government after having tried a loose confederation? Think about that for a while.

    And just like when it comes to education, you don't make a government agency work better by slashing its budget.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •