Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Carolina del Norte
    Last Seen
    07-06-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    So, basically, I'm getting...

    "Legal and regulated is better than illegal and unregulated".

    From your post.
    I am not making a judgement on what is better. I am merely stating what I believe the logic behind the lowering of the working age could be in according to my own research and watching documentaries about child workers in Bolivia. Whether or not it would be more logical to pay for the children to go to school instead is up in the air. It may not be possible under the Bolivian government currently. Certainly prior to Evo Morales the USA and other privatizers of water and resources, etc, were not helping the children out either. In fact I think that after Thatcher killed the coal mines in the UK, I believe she outsourced coal to latin America to child labor. Well, Europeans often outsource to child labor, Most of their cotton comes from Uzbekistan it seems, which is all picked by child slave labor.

    I want to say the Bolivian government is doing the best it can under the circumstances to balance ideology with real life problems.

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In Bolivia entry into the workforce has been reduced to 10 years of age. The measure is to reduce poverty in the country.
    Must we ban imports from the country?

    Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10
    Sounds like a libertarian paradise.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    I know people that started working on family farms as soon as they could walk. As long as they are not beaten or forced. I dont see an issue with it. Will make better adults out of them.

  4. #64
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    This is what happens when the U.S. (and other developed nations) outsource all of their labor to poor nations. The purpose of this is not to allow child labor, which, as Michijo said, is already occurring illegally in Bolivia, but to grant labor rights to the children. In a nation whose economy depends on its exports, banning child labor isn't going to be anymore effective at eliminating it than banning prostitution is here.

    But anyone who seriously wants to allow and encourage children working in coal mines (which many people in this thread have expressed sympathy for) are truly deluded.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    This is what happens when the U.S. (and other developed nations) outsource all of their labor to poor nations. The purpose of this is not to allow child labor, which, as Michijo said, is already occurring illegally in Bolivia, but to grant labor rights to the children. In a nation whose economy depends on its exports, banning child labor isn't going to be anymore effective at eliminating it than banning prostitution is here.

    But anyone who seriously wants to allow and encourage children working in coal mines (which many people in this thread have expressed sympathy for) are truly deluded.
    How are they deluded? (Please don't come back with how wrong they are, which I agree with you on, explain how they are deluded)

  6. #66
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    How are they deluded? (Please don't come back with how wrong they are, which I agree with you on, explain how they are deluded)
    Because free choice in the area of child labor (i.e. if they are consenting to it it's okay) is an illusion. A ten year old is not going to have the capability to make an important life decision, and getting a job is an important life decision. The most likely decision a child is going to make is that if their family is suffering economically is to get a job at a young age.

    In addition child labor in Bolivia is not working at your parent's store after school, or something mild to that effect. It's hard labor, as has been previously mentioned, such as working in coal mines, where children are in unsafe conditions and are going to be exposed to adverse health effects. In a nation such as Bolivia, criminalization of child labor is not going to solve the problem, but it certainly should not be encouraged.

    And forgive me, but are being 'wrong' about a certain issue and being 'deluded' about a certain issue not synonymous in some cases?
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Because free choice in the area of child labor (i.e. if they are consenting to it it's okay) is an illusion. A ten year old is not going to have the capability to make an important life decision, and getting a job is an important life decision. The most likely decision a child is going to make is that if their family is suffering economically is to get a job at a young age.

    In addition child labor in Bolivia is not working at your parent's store after school, or something mild to that effect. It's hard labor, as has been previously mentioned, such as working in coal mines, where children are in unsafe conditions and are going to be exposed to adverse health effects. In a nation such as Bolivia, criminalization of child labor is not going to solve the problem, but it certainly should not be encouraged.

    And forgive me, but are being 'wrong' about a certain issue and being 'deluded' about a certain issue not synonymous in some cases?
    And how is the choice unfree?

    I agree they should not be doing hard labor.

    When dealing with concrete facts that is true, but not when dealing with prudential matters (note that prudential does not mean every answer is right, only that it is not a matter of moral absolutes).

  8. #68
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    And how is the choice unfree?

    I agree they should not be doing hard labor.

    When dealing with concrete facts that is true, but not when dealing with prudential matters (note that prudential does not mean every answer is right, only that it is not a matter of moral absolutes).
    The choice is not "free" because children are not experienced enough to understand the consequences of their actions. You might as well grant ten year olds the right to vote. They have no idea what the consequences of their actions are.

    I'm aware that there is no right answer per se in many issues, but can I not hold the opinion that someone else's opinion is deluded?
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,389

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Sounds like a libertarian paradise.
    It does, doesn't it? Until one looks at libertarian theory, it really woukd.

  10. #70
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It does, doesn't it? Until one looks at libertarian theory, it really woukd.
    I was half-joking.

    But only half. As a reformed libertarian I stand by the other half, too.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •