Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    If kids want to work, let them.
    You are so mean.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    well, there isn't much "trick" to it.

    Best Jobs Of The Future - Business Insider

    Everyone, including me, can give you a top 10 list easily.

    Programmers are top of the line.
    Engineers (from technical branches).
    Doctors.
    Lawyers and other judicial employees.
    Teachers.
    City planners
    arhitects
    Chemists
    Biologists
    Geologists
    Chefs and food specialists
    etc

    What you won't see is factory workers coz of automation.
    Retailers... they need to go out.
    fast food workers should get expired.
    etc
    Glad to see that bankers and hedge fund managers weren't on the list. lol But I think some of those careers (teachers, doctors..) are already starting to get replaced by robotics and internet DIY'ers. IE: robots are doing surgery and dentistry. Almost anyone can watch the food channel for a few months and learn to cook like a chef. There are YouTube videos for almost anything you might want to learn and that access to information could easily eliminate a lot of teaching jobs and/or brick and mortar schools which in turn would eliminate the need for a lot of administrators which could save local and state governments tons of money. It's predicted that preventive medicine will reduce the need for surgeries and long term medical care and that could translate into less demand for health care givers and hospitals which would reduce the demand for administrators, doctors, nurses. As the costs of medical care becomes more transparent the public can make better choices about their health care and would probably use the medical system less frivolously which also bring down costs and demand for a lot of those jobs on the list.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Glad to see that bankers and hedge fund managers weren't on the list. lol But I think some of those careers (teachers, doctors..) are already starting to get replaced by robotics and internet DIY'ers. IE: robots are doing surgery and dentistry. Almost anyone can watch the food channel for a few months and learn to cook like a chef. There are YouTube videos for almost anything you might want to learn and that access to information could easily eliminate a lot of teaching jobs and/or brick and mortar schools which in turn would eliminate the need for a lot of administrators which could save local and state governments tons of money. It's predicted that preventive medicine will reduce the need for surgeries and long term medical care and that could translate into less demand for health care givers and hospitals which would reduce the demand for administrators, doctors, nurses. As the costs of medical care becomes more transparent the public can make better choices about their health care and would probably use the medical system less frivolously which also bring down costs and demand for a lot of those jobs on the list.
    Most everything will eventually be better done by robots, if Humans survive long enough and can keep their act together. In the meantime the kids are toiling away.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Most everything will eventually be better done by robots, if Humans survive long enough and can keep their act together. In the meantime the kids are toiling away.

    I'm a firm believer in giving kids chores and age appropriate responsibilities. But I think there probably are some farm chores that kids just shouldn't do. Operating a thrasher, alone, out in a field might be one.

  5. #15
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In Bolivia entry into the workforce has been reduced to 10 years of age. The measure is to reduce poverty in the country.
    Must we ban imports from the country?

    Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10
    My thoughts about this are on a completely different track than anyone else's so far it seems. My overriding thought is how sad it is that in order to get out of poverty more persons within a family have to work instead of having living wages for parents. We've been heading in that direction for a while, though recently some hopeful steps have been afoot.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I'm a firm believer in giving kids chores and age appropriate responsibilities. But I think there probably are some farm chores that kids just shouldn't do. Operating a thrasher, alone, out in a field might be one.
    How about digging for minerals in the deep with a pick and basket?

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    My thoughts about this are on a completely different track than anyone else's so far it seems. My overriding thought is how sad it is that in order to get out of poverty more persons within a family have to work instead of having living wages for parents. We've been heading in that direction for a while, though recently some hopeful steps have been afoot.
    Though the thought is pleasant, I don't think I could accompany you along the path. Labor is a factor in production that sells and is bought at market prices. If there is no job at a higher price, then the Parent can either take the low wage, move or starve. The US has done a lot to change this situation in the world by championing first GATT and then the WTO and so allowing its population to buy what ever it wanted from other countries. This has brought over 1.5 Billion from subsistence to the middle class in the last 15 years or so. The world as a whole is in much better shape, than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

  8. #18
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In Bolivia entry into the workforce has been reduced to 10 years of age. The measure is to reduce poverty in the country.
    Must we ban imports from the country?

    Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10
    The Prime Directive makes perfect sense to me. We have no right to impose our morality and laws on other countries. It's gotten us into more trouble than we even know.

    Child Labor in the United States

    Forms of child labor, including indentured servitude and child slavery, have existed throughout American history. As industrialization moved workers from farms and home workshops into urban areas and factory work, children were often preferred, because factory owners viewed them as more manageable, cheaper, and less likely to strike. Growing opposition to child labor in the North caused many factories to move to the South. By 1900, states varied considerably in whether they had child labor standards and in their content and degree of enforcement. By then, American children worked in large numbers in mines, glass factories, textiles, agriculture, canneries, home industries, and as newsboys, messengers, bootblacks, and peddlers.
    We have labor unions to thank for showing us the light and the way.

    It's none of our business.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The Prime Directive makes perfect sense to me. We have no right to impose our morality and laws on other countries. It's gotten us into more trouble than we even know.
    That has always been my opinion also and is why I feel so unhappy with legislation that goes against that credo.

  10. #20
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Bolivia congress allows child labor from age 10

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    If kids want to work, let them.
    Yeah even better, let's revert to the good old workshop days and 7 year old chimney sweepers and factory workers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •