Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    "More" can be a relative factor. Make getting social benefits contingent on working these jobs nobody wants. Make it so it would be less benificial not to works, even these jobs nobody wants.
    Ahh, coerce poor people into doing it. Because picking fruit is a good way to end that cycle of poverty that welfare entraps people in, right?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,214

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Or maybe employers need to raise pay and they'd get 'native born' workers to apply and do the jobs. It's no surprise that 'native born' workers expect a bit more than grinding poverty for a full time job. In Mexico, of course, there is starvation as an alternative.
    Employers shouldn't have to raise wages anymore than what is needed to get a good work force.

    The problem is we have an excess of low skilled labor. Allowing illegals to work adds more to the low skilled work force.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,214

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ahh, coerce poor people into doing it. Because picking fruit is a good way to end that cycle of poverty that welfare entraps people in, right?
    At least they would be productive, instead of being a couch potato.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Employers shouldn't have to raise wages anymore than what is needed to get a good work force.

    The problem is we have an excess of low skilled labor. Allowing illegals to work adds more to the low skilled work force.
    You said we have a workforce 'not willing to work.' I don't think that's true, more accurately we have a workforce that expects more than grinding poverty as the reward for work, which is natural for a wealthy, developed nation.

    We just have a different opinion on what the core problem is. To you, it's a workforce that doesn't want to work, and to me it's that the wages being offered are too low to provide incentives to work. But, sure, if we remove safety nets and it's "work OR starve to death" we'd have no problem filling jobs at $2 an hour or $3 an hour with native born workers.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,214

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You said we have a workforce 'not willing to work.' I don't think that's true, more accurately we have a workforce that expects more than grinding poverty as the reward for work, which is natural for a wealthy, developed nation.

    We just have a different opinion on what the core problem is. To you, it's a workforce that doesn't want to work, and to me it's that the wages being offered are too low to provide incentives to work. But, sure, if we remove safety nets and it's "work OR starve to death" we'd have no problem filling jobs at $2 an hour or $3 an hour with native born workers.
    I'm not for removing the safety nets. I'm for removing the long term subsidies.

    Big difference.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I'm not for removing the safety nets. I'm for removing the long term subsidies.

    Big difference.
    I am too, and the way to do that is through higher wages.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,214

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I am too, and the way to do that is through higher wages.
    Yes, but how do we get there without being authoritarian?

    Do you suspect that if we reduced taxes on employers, that they could compete better globally?

    Do you suspect that if we added tariffs to imports, we could manufacture here again?

    Do you have a better solution?

    Most people think we can tax or mandate higher wages to solve the problems. These cause other problems.

  8. #48
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    At least they would be productive, instead of being a couch potato.
    Trouble is the majority of those people you're talking about already have a job.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,214

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Trouble is the majority of those people you're talking about already have a job.
    And why is it societies responsibility to subsidize them if they cannot make enough?

  10. #50
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Net job growth since 2000 went to immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Study: All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants | National Review Online

    So we're doing a good job creating jobs for illegals, but not the Americans that were here in the first place.
    SINCE 2000' meaning the entire Bush presidency and most of Obama's.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •