Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    In a precedent-setting decision, the United States Supreme Court ruled today that Aereo is in violation of US copyright law. The decision states that Aereo's use of tiny antennas hooked up to cloud DVR technology violates the right of companies producing broadcast content.

    ....

    The decision is backed up by the Supreme Court's history with cable companies. In 1976, the Copyright Act deemed the rebroadcast of airwave-based television via cable a performance. As a result, cable companies had to pay broadcast networks for access to content. Today's ruling states that Aereo is essentially in the same boat as cable TV companies. "Aereo's activities are substantially similar to those of the [cable television] companies that Congress amended the Act to reach," Associate Justice Stephen Breyer writes.
    SOURCE

    Very unfortunate news, and potentially with some significant ramficiations as it relates to cloud computing services. What is interesting from an immediete look....this extremely PRO-Corporation interpritation of the law that benefits the likes of NBC and Fox was endorsed not by Alito, Thomas, and Scalia but by Sotomayor, Ginsburg, and Kagan.

    Aereo was offering people hardware that allowed them to better make use of something they are able to recieve for free; but god forbid anything shake up the HORRENDOUS situation we have in this country as it relates to anything concerning the telecoms and media conglomorates

  2. #2
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    And the corporate congress gets closer and closer.....

    Copywrite legislation world wide needs to be ripped up and a new modern system put in place.
    PeteEU

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,709

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    SOURCE

    Very unfortunate news, and potentially with some significant ramficiations as it relates to cloud computing services. What is interesting from an immediete look....this extremely PRO-Corporation interpritation of the law that benefits the likes of NBC and Fox was endorsed not by Alito, Thomas, and Scalia but by Sotomayor, Ginsburg, and Kagan.

    Aereo was offering people hardware that allowed them to better make use of something they are able to recieve for free; but god forbid anything shake up the HORRENDOUS situation we have in this country as it relates to anything concerning the telecoms and media conglomorates
    the problem exists that tv companies still have to pay for such broadcasts. they are only free as in people can get them, but the companies still have to pay broadcasting fee's and other things.

    not sure why another company should profit at no expense.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    SOURCE

    Very unfortunate news, and potentially with some significant ramficiations as it relates to cloud computing services. What is interesting from an immediete look....this extremely PRO-Corporation interpritation of the law that benefits the likes of NBC and Fox was endorsed not by Alito, Thomas, and Scalia but by Sotomayor, Ginsburg, and Kagan.

    Aereo was offering people hardware that allowed them to better make use of something they are able to recieve for free; but god forbid anything shake up the HORRENDOUS situation we have in this country as it relates to anything concerning the telecoms and media conglomorates
    Meh, generally in situations like this I'm upset too, but I can understand both sides on this. Furthermore:

    "Justice Stephen Breyer, writing for the majority, stressed that it was a limited decision that will not “discourage the emergence or use of different kinds of technologies.”"
    Source: U.S. Supreme Court Pulls the Plug on Aereo's Streaming TV Service - NBC News

    So yes, it always sucks anytime technology is driven back, but I don't think this court case will have significant ramifications. I don't know much legalese, but it seems this ruling applies simply to this situation.

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,114

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Not good for tech or for the consumer, for sure.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Not good for tech or for the consumer, for sure.
    I agree, but is it an unfair one? Should Aereo be able to make money off content they didn't produce?

    It's a tough one and why I see both sides.

  7. #7
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the problem exists that tv companies still have to pay for such broadcasts. they are only free as in people can get them, but the companies still have to pay broadcasting fee's and other things.

    not sure why another company should profit at no expense.

    The companies are transmitting over the air anyway. What Aereo provided was individual equipment rental that the consumer controlled.

    Aereo provided a niche market for two types of consumers, those in a geogrpahic area that might have difficulty receiving OTA (over-the-air) broadcasts due to buildings or hills, and (b) consumers that wanted a way to stream OTA to mobile devices.

    Both of which mean MORE eyeballs on screens and a bigger bang for the advertiser.



    >>>>

  8. #8
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I agree, but is it an unfair one? Should Aereo be able to make money off content they didn't produce?

    It's a tough one and why I see both sides.

    Aereo wasn't making money off content, they leased equipment and storage space to the consumer. An individual could open an account, pay their $8 per month then go on vacation to Europe for 3-months, and Aereo made the same amount because the equipment was there for the consumer whether they used it or not. That equipment accessed zero content.

    I have a Samsung TV, they make money off of the equipment used to display content they didn't produce.

    I'm now thinking of buying a Slingbox. It connects to me Antenna/Cable Box and will allow me to stream video to my laptop or smartphone while I'm out of the house, they are making profit on content they didn't produce.



    >>>>

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,709

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    The companies are transmitting over the air anyway. What Aereo provided was individual equipment rental that the consumer controlled.

    Aereo provided a niche market for two types of consumers, those in a geogrpahic area that might have difficulty receiving OTA (over-the-air) broadcasts due to buildings or hills, and (b) consumers that wanted a way to stream OTA to mobile devices.

    Both of which mean MORE eyeballs on screens and a bigger bang for the advertiser.



    >>>>
    doesn't matter you still have to have licensing fee's to pay for it just as the broadcasters have to pay fee's to the shows.
    while they might transmitt it for free they still have to pay for broadcasting. they make that up with advertisements.

    aero's was making money without having to pay for the cost of it.

    i don't like the ruling but i can see where it would come into play at.

    slingbox is next and they are going to go after them mostly due to dish network.
    Last edited by ludin; 06-25-14 at 01:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: US Supreme Court rules Aereo's streaming service is illegal under copyright law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the problem exists that tv companies still have to pay for such broadcasts.
    By TV companies do you mean FOX, NBC, CBS, etc? Or are you meaning the cable companies like Time Warner (which I guess IS NBC...gotta love how that works), Verizon, Cox, etc?

    they are only free as in people can get them
    Yes, they're "free" to the consumer. IE anyone can hook up an antenna and watch over the air content 100% free of charge.

    but the companies still have to pay broadcasting fee's and other things.
    Except, in general, Aereo's argument is THEY are not broadcasting anything. They're selling you an antenna and a set top box, and giving you access to those things via the internet. You have complete control as to what that Antenna is tuned to and that is the ONLY thing you're recieving. With Cable Companies, you're potentially recieving all channels at all times. This is how something like "The Hopper" can record 6 different television shows on 6 different channels all at the same time. With Aereo, you could only have ONE channel going per antenna you were renting at any given time. You want to record something on a different channel while you're watching something, you'd need to rent another antenna.

    As to expense...well, one, there IS expense on the part of Aereo. They have to pay for the equipment they're renting out to customers, pay for the utility costs for the broadband and electricity to give users access to their rented equipment, pay for the building the equipment is housed in, technicians, etc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •